Strict reading of the 22nd makes Clinton/Clinton possible ticket.

First of all, the candidates for each office must come from different states. So that's out anyway.

Second, a Vice President Bill Clinton would never be certified by the Senate. He would be deemed constitutionally ineligible. While the wording of the amendment may be ambiguous, the clear and obvious intent was to limit the number of terms a President can serve. The constitution does not allow itself to be side stepped so easily as to position an otherwise ineligible candidate into a position where he or she would become President upon a simple act of political maneuvering, i.e. a President resigning on his or her first day in office to allow the VP to succeed to the office for which he was unable to be elected in his own right.

Didn't stop Bush / Cheney. Both were from Texas. Cheney claimed Wyoming as his residential State to get around that problem. Bill could claim Arkansas and Hillary could claim NY. But I do agree that Bill Clinton would not be eligible to be VP.

There's nothing in the words of the Constitution that says otherwise. THe 22nd doesn't alter eligibility for the office, it merely restricts elections.

Well, that isn't my understanding, but I'm just an ordinary average guy. The Constitution says whatever the Supreme Court thinks it says. Maybe they agree with you. They think property is people and people are property. They make decisions all the time that I don't understand. With the current makeup, I think you would lose 5-4 at best.

Didn't stop Bush / Cheney. Both were from Texas. Cheney claimed Wyoming as his residential State to get around that problem. Bill could claim Arkansas and Hillary could claim NY. But I do agree that Bill Clinton would not be eligible to be VP.

There's nothing in the words of the Constitution that says otherwise. THe 22nd doesn't alter eligibility for the office, it merely restricts elections.

Well, that isn't my understanding,.

Its what the words say.

Forum List

Back