Street vendor shot in Little Village (Little Mexico) area of Chicago

I've been asking why this is news since it was posted.

Living in Chicago and complaining about crime is like living in Florida and complaining about tourists, or living in Arizona and complaining about the heat.

It obviously is not the crime. This is a social piece. The writer glosses over the crime as if he is describing what she is wearing. Even the police don't seem too concerned with the crime. No calls for info, no solicitation of witnesses. She's alive, that's good enough for everyone there.

She's a hard working woman of Mexican heritage. That is the story.

I smell a follow-up story, or 5.

Crime happens everywhere. No place is perfect.

But some places are predominantly more prone to it than others. I have lived in my current neighborhood for three years and I'm not aware of a crime taking place here that entire time, at least nothing serious enough to be in the paper. Do you think I could say the same if I lived in Harlem?

So would you not live anywhere in NYC because Harlem is a bad neighborhood? I live in Chicago and my neighborhood is very safe, clean and a great place to live and in fact pretty much the entire North side is just like this. Does that mean I would want to live on the south side? Hell no, it's a fucking war zone. But that doesn't mean all of Chicago is like that. Thats my point.
I'd take Chicago any day

You couldn't pay me to live in that filthy corrupt shit hole.

Shit hole? lol. Have you ever spent any time in Chicago? It's possibly the best city in the country. if you're not a city person that's one thing, but compared to other major cities, it's tough to beat. I've spent a good amount of time in almost every major American city, except for San Fransisco and I can easily say Chicago is definitely one of the best.

I lived the first 32 years of my life inside the Chicago city limits.

I can say without qualification, that Chicago is an absolute shithole.

From being beaten up by gangs in high school, to being robbed on a CTA bus where the driver wouldn't even call the cops, to having two cars stolen, to having my house broken into, to being shot in the arm getting out of my car after work, I came to the conclusion it was time to get away from the subhuman vermin.

On top of that, imagine being told by your ward commiteeman that if you didn't vote for Daley, "I hope you enjoy watching your garbage pile up".

I was totally astounded when I moved out to LaGrange, went to register to vote, and didn't have to declare for a party. I had never heard of such a thing.

My mother finally moved out of that hellhole 5 years ago due to the tax load Dickie Jr. put on the residents. I was overjoyed to never have to cross it's foul border again.

I'm now in downstate IL, just outside St Louis. I can (and have) left my keys in the car for days, and nothing happens to it. My garbage gets picked up every Friday at 10:30 am, unless it is a holiday. And we have no parking meters for the mayor to sell for a quick fix budget filler.

And New Year's Eve does not sound like VietNam down here, either.

But some places are predominantly more prone to it than others. I have lived in my current neighborhood for three years and I'm not aware of a crime taking place here that entire time, at least nothing serious enough to be in the paper. Do you think I could say the same if I lived in Harlem?

So would you not live anywhere in NYC because Harlem is a bad neighborhood? I live in Chicago and my neighborhood is very safe, clean and a great place to live and in fact pretty much the entire North side is just like this. Does that mean I would want to live on the south side? Hell no, it's a fucking war zone. But that doesn't mean all of Chicago is like that. Thats my point.
You couldn't pay me to live in that filthy corrupt shit hole.

Shit hole? lol. Have you ever spent any time in Chicago? It's possibly the best city in the country. if you're not a city person that's one thing, but compared to other major cities, it's tough to beat. I've spent a good amount of time in almost every major American city, except for San Fransisco and I can easily say Chicago is definitely one of the best.

From being beaten up by gangs in high school, to being robbed on a CTA bus where the driver wouldn't even call the cops, to having two cars stolen, to having my house broken into, to being shot in the arm getting out of my car after work, I came to the conclusion it was time to get away from the subhuman vermin.

On top of that, imagine being told by your ward commiteeman that if you didn't vote for Daley, "I hope you enjoy watching your garbage pile up".

I was totally astounded when I moved out to LaGrange, went to register to vote, and didn't have to declare for a party. I had never heard of such a thing.

My mother finally moved out of that hellhole 5 years ago due to the tax load Dickie Jr. put on the residents. I was overjoyed to never have to cross it's foul border again.

I'm now in downstate IL, just outside St Louis. I can (and have) left my keys in the car for days, and nothing happens to it. My garbage gets picked up every Friday at 10:30 am, unless it is a holiday. And we have no parking meters for the mayor to sell for a quick fix budget filler.

Interesting. When did you move out of Chicago and what part of the city did you live in?

Interesting. When did you move out of Chicago and what part of the city did you live in?

I lived in the South Lawndale / Little Village area from 1960 to 1982, and Garfield Ridge from 1982 to 1992.

Attended Whitney elementary, Farragut high school, and U of I Circle.

I lived in the South Lawndale / Little Village area from 1960 to 1982, and Garfield Ridge from 1982 to 1992.

Sorry to hear about your experience but in all fairness Chicago is a MUCH different place since you last lived here. And those areas you lived in are not exactly what I would call ideal now let alone back then. I'm not doubting your experience at all, just wish people wouldn't generalize an entire city based upon specific sections.

Sorry to hear about your experience but in all fairness Chicago is a MUCH different place since you last lived here. And those areas you lived in are not exactly what I would call ideal now let alone back then. I'm not doubting your experience at all, just wish people wouldn't generalize an entire city based upon specific sections.

I moved to Garfield because that's where most of the cops and firemen live. And I still got shot, at 7:00 pm, with a police captain and a fire battalion chief living on the same block.

And nobody saw or heard a goddamn thing.

But they all knew the score of the f'n White Sox game that night.

And what's so different, other than the increased property taxes, gasoline taxes, cigarette taxes and excessive parking meter charges under the private company?

Oh, yeah, the sale of the Chicago Skyway really worked out well, didn't it?

Shit hole? lol. Have you ever spent any time in Chicago? It's possibly the best city in the country.

Yes, I've been to Chicago. It's an incredibly corrupt city and grossly mismanaged.

if you're not a city person that's one thing, but compared to other major cities, it's tough to beat.

I lived my entire life within the city limits of Boston, until I moved down here four years ago, and now I live in a fairly urban suburb of Charlotte, so city life is not a stranger to me.

[If there is an article in the paper about me, does it have to state I'm an American citizen? Does your citizenship have to be stated if they write an article about you? Should they also have to state her hair color and bra size and shoe size? There are hundreds of random facts about her, I'm sure. Do they all have to be stated in the article?

This is the U.S., so why wouldn't I automatically assume she is a U.S. citizen when that would be the norm 98% of the time? Again, where does it say she is here illegally?

In an area where illegals are known to be, it would be normal to ask if she was illegal. She is selling a product that only Mexicans would buy and is using a food cart that doesn't require E-Verify to get.

None of that proves that she is illegal. You are assuming she is because of her ethnicity and that is due to your own prejudice, nothing more.

She's a hard working woman of Mexican heritage. .

Correction: All the hard working Mexican women are still in Mexico.

Mexicans come here to live the "dream" that Americans built because they were to lazy to fix Mexico.

[None of that proves that she is illegal. You are assuming she is because of her ethnicity and that is due to your own prejudice, nothing more.

Why didn't they say she became an American citizen. They told the reader about how she came here from VeraCruz. She wasn't born here. Did they leave something out?

Why the cover-up?

The public has a right to know.

I believe this country belongs to those who built it and fought for it. Not a bunch of squatters who steal from the American poor.

[None of that proves that she is illegal. You are assuming she is because of her ethnicity and that is due to your own prejudice, nothing more.

Why didn't they say she became an American citizen. They told the reader about how she came here from VeraCruz. She wasn't born here. Did they leave something out?

Why the cover-up?

The public has a right to know.

I believe this country belongs to those who built it and fought for it. Not a bunch of squatters who steal from the American poor.

I moved to Garfield because that's where most of the cops and firemen live. And I still got shot, at 7:00 pm, with a police captain and a fire battalion chief living on the same block.

And nobody saw or heard a goddamn thing.

But they all knew the score of the f'n White Sox game that night.

And what's so different, other than the increased property taxes, gasoline taxes, cigarette taxes and excessive parking meter charges under the private company?

Oh, yeah, the sale of the Chicago Skyway really worked out well, didn't it?

I knew a guy that worked the late shift at a 7-11 in Oak Park which borders Chicago's west side. He said that Chicago cops would hide out there just to stay out of the Austin district. But one day, they got caught by their chief. I'll bet heads rolled!:lol:

[
Yes, I've been to Chicago. It's an incredibly corrupt city and grossly mismanaged.

What do you expect if you allow Mexicans to dump their third world crap on the streets of a major American city. Are we all going to live in teepees now just so THEY will feel at home?

[

What do you expect if you allow Mexicans to dump their third world crap on the streets of a major American city. Are we all going to live in teepees now just so THEY will feel at home?
If you keep allowing your masters to piss away YOUR money on Banksters, war and IsNtReal, the answer is yes. Don't sweat a few million Mezkinz. They are NOT the source of your problems. YOU are. You have no idea what to do at the voting booth due to allowing yourselves to be constantly distracted.

The first time I got shot was in Shitcago. Luckily it was a .25. Once I got the gun from him I emptied it in his adams apple.
One less oxygen thief. I was 16 . Tyrone ( or whoever the piece of shit was) was 23.
Honestly. I can't remember his name and don't give a shit.

[

If you keep allowing your masters to piss away YOUR money on Banksters, war and IsNtReal, the answer is yes. Don't sweat a few million Mezkinz. They are NOT the source of your problems. YOU are. You have no idea what to do at the voting booth due to allowing yourselves to be constantly distracted.

The first time I got shot was in Shitcago. Luckily it was a .25. Once I got the gun from him I emptied it in his adams apple.
One less oxygen thief. I was 16 . Tyrone ( or whoever the piece of shit was) was 23.

So you got deported and America lost a potential basketball player!:(

[

:bsflag:

Forum List

Back