Streamlined exhaust on a Cadillac?

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
Tim and I finally decided on a car last night, after 2 weeks of test drives of cars in all parts of the Cities, giving up weeknights to persue cars we might want to own. The reason for getting a 2nd vehicle is Tim is starting his new job 11/9, and will no longer have a company vehicle 5 days a week. Maybe 2-3 days at most.

So, we finally found the car last night. A 1992 Cadillac Seville with only 78k on it. MINT condition. $4400. The price was so low because the company selling it, is an auto broker, not a dealer, so they have no overhead. The car was a 1-owner, who was an old guy who had died, but had no family. So the state took and auctioned everything off.

We test drove the car, and immediately loved it. It has a few scratches here and there, but nothing that can't be buffed out. It doesn't even look like a Minnesota car (meaning no rust or obvious salt/mud stains on the floorboards).

We did a CarFax on it to ensure the mileage is accurate and everything came up clean, with records showing the maintenence the guy did, which was VERY religously done.

ANYWAY, sorry about the rambling, and to the actual question...The car is equipped with a 4.9 V8 (insert Tim Allen grunt here). It already has double tipped, dual exhaust, and has a nice, low rumble at idle. However, Tim asked me if I minded him taking and removing the mufflers, but keeping the tips, and just streamlining the exhaust to make it rumble nicely. I wasn't sure, because I had never heard it done and sound good on a car before, with the exception of a 95 Impala, but I don't think that was a stock engine under the hood-though it is possible. I love duals on trucks, but only those with the engines to back them up.

Would this sound respectable, and not cheap or wimpy? I just don't want him to do it, and then have it sound kinda wussy, wasting all that time and money.

fuzzykitten99 said:
Tim and I finally decided on a car last night, after 2 weeks of test drives of cars in all parts of the Cities, giving up weeknights to persue cars we might want to own. The reason for getting a 2nd vehicle is Tim is starting his new job 11/9, and will no longer have a company vehicle 5 days a week. Maybe 2-3 days at most.

So, we finally found the car last night. A 1992 Cadillac Seville with only 78k on it. MINT condition. $4400. The price was so low because the company selling it, is an auto broker, not a dealer, so they have no overhead. The car was a 1-owner, who was an old guy who had died, but had no family. So the state took and auctioned everything off.

We test drove the car, and immediately loved it. It has a few scratches here and there, but nothing that can't be buffed out. It doesn't even look like a Minnesota car (meaning no rust or obvious salt/mud stains on the floorboards).

We did a CarFax on it to ensure the mileage is accurate and everything came up clean, with records showing the maintenence the guy did, which was VERY religously done.

ANYWAY, sorry about the rambling, and to the actual question...The car is equipped with a 4.9 V8 (insert Tim Allen grunt here). It already has double tipped, dual exhaust, and has a nice, low rumble at idle. However, Tim asked me if I minded him taking and removing the mufflers, but keeping the tips, and just streamlining the exhaust to make it rumble nicely. I wasn't sure, because I had never heard it done and sound good on a car before, with the exception of a 95 Impala, but I don't think that was a stock engine under the hood-though it is possible. I love duals on trucks, but only those with the engines to back them up.

Would this sound respectable, and not cheap or wimpy? I just don't want him to do it, and then have it sound kinda wussy, wasting all that time and money.

I don't know why you would want to do that to a Caddy, but to each their own, I suppose.

fuzzykitten99 said:
However, Tim asked me if I minded him taking and removing the mufflers, but keeping the tips, and just streamlining the exhaust to make it rumble nicely.

I'd lay money on horrible results. Not just annoying loud - painful - illegal loud. not just down low, but I bet the loudest droning would be right at your typical highway cruise speeds. If he wants a little grunt, replace the (likely) OEM mufflers with Magnaflow or Flowmaster.

:)

he wants the deep rumble it already has to be enhanced. I think it wouldn't sound right, but then again, we had dual exhaust on our truck, and that engine wasn't much bigger than this one, and it sounded great. Its not like we'd put on one of the rice rocket fart cans...

our neighbor has a Mercury Marauder he had fitted with custom exhaust, and it sounds very nice.

***DAD HAT ON***

It sounds like you found a good deal and saved a lot of money, congratulations!
Now, why not apply that savings to defray the cost of feeding that V8, instead of
modifying a perfectly good car for the sake of making noise. And don’t forget the new little one on the way, I hear they’re expensive these days. :)

***DAD HAT OFF***

Mr. P said:
***DAD HAT ON***

It sounds like you found a good deal and saved a lot of money, congratulations!
Now, why not apply that savings to defray the cost of feeding that V8, instead of
modifying a perfectly good car for the sake of making noise. And don’t forget the new little one on the way, I hear they’re expensive these days. :)

***DAD HAT OFF***
actually, the mpg isn't that far off our 00 impala. It makes about 22-26mpg, so far, as we have only had to fill it up once (it has to take premium, no less...ugh) and the tank size is only 2gal bigger than the other car. the cost difference in use is about $5 more per week. The impala gets about 26-29+ mpg.

Tim is making more money at this new job, PLUS...this job allows him to fill up his car(s) at their shop fuel station, because they purchase fuel wholesale, and so he gets gas at a discount of what he would pay retail. All they do is take whatever the total is out of his paycheck every week. We just found this out, so that does help. If we're gonna spend the money on fuel anyway, taking it right out helps.

as far as the exhaust goes, he talked to a few co-workers and they told him to do what dmp said, is put sport mufflers on, etc. He (like me) has to customize SOMETHING on the car to make it unique, and officially his. This is something he would not do until spring, because the salt would immediately start rusting anything new.

The ClayTaurus said:
I don't know why you would want to do that to a Caddy, but to each their own, I suppose.
I have a 92 Caddy Sedan Deville with flowmasters on it.
Louder than any truck on the block.

I say go for it.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I have a 92 Caddy Sedan Deville with flowmasters on it.
Louder than any truck on the block.

I say go for it.

and it's a respectable loud, rumble, not sounding like the car needs engine work? like I said, I have rarely heard cars with duals sound good. If this was a truck, you can bet I would not have an issue with it.

i never thought of flowmasters on a car, unless it is a muscle car like a mustang or charger.

i'll keep that in mind.

fuzzykitten99 said:
and it's a respectable loud, rumble, not sounding like the car needs engine work? like I said, I have rarely heard cars with duals sound good. If this was a truck, you can bet I would not have an issue with it.

i never thought of flowmasters on a car, unless it is a muscle car like a mustang or charger.

i'll keep that in mind.
Engine size makes all the difference.
Sounds nice on a V8

Forum List

Back