Stray mom cat and kittens!

I feed cats, too, that's why they show up at my house. I cannot turn my back on them. For some of them, I am their lifeline. I take that responsibility seriously.

Do you just feed them or do you provide medical care (shots, etc) and spaying/neutering? If neither are provided the cats will gets sick and just continue to reproduce (and they inbreed with strange looking off-spring). Rabies are always a concern for non-vaccinated cats.

No, it is good you are finding homes for the kittens. Even taking them to the SPCA is okay, because they're just kittens and easier to bring around than a full-grown feral cat.

Both our dogs and our cat are from the spca. I wouldn't get a pet from anywhere else -- well, if we found a dog or cat we'd keep them if we could. It took over a month for us to find our first dog and our second dog was literally we were in the right place at the right time. Great pets all of them. Yeah, even the cat who marks! lol

Yeah, the marking is not acceptable to me. That will be Lazarus's true test. If he marks in my house, he cannot stay. I have my limits. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. My husband and I are talking about putting a cat door leading into a pen in the garage, so at least cats could come in and sleep in a warm place. We shall see.

Our cat, who is neutered since 4 months old, started marking randomly when our first dog was about 5 years old. Since he was marking on her dog bed and sofa it was next too, we assumed he was marking his territory because her bed was where it was. What we didn't know at the time was that cats were wandering around our house and our windows where the dog's bed/sofa are were open much of the time. One night we heard cat screaming and the window screen was ripped all the way down. Apparently a cat was outside while my cat was sitting on the sill inside and they tried to get each other. That's when the light bulb went off about his marking.

We had a mom cat who had a litter of 6 kittens under our front step on Mother's Day. Our cat started marking the damn living room curtains when they showed up wouldn't stop (I took all the curtains down I was tired of washing them) for quite some time, despite that the mother cat moved those 5 day old kittens the night we found them.

I use a product called Simple Solution to clean up any marking. It's enzyme based and removes the odor/stain completely. I tried many products before I found this. Oh, and did you know that female cats can also mark? I didn't until I saw a female marking my neighbor's property!

If the kittens you found are 5-6 weeks and you trap the mom, you might be able to get the kittens by hand. They aren't too fast just yet. Don't be afraid if they hiss and growl, they're just scared and they won't try to bite you as their teeth are too small. The ones we found ... their eyes were still blue and just changed to blue/gray the last several days.

Good news! The stray male I brought in Friday night used the cat box today! I was sitting in his room visiting with him and he looked over at the cat box. Looked right at it, and you could see him thinking. Then he went and got in the box and peed.

This is great! He knows what a cat box is for. His chances for a good life just improved remarkably. : )

feed cats, too, that's why they show up at my house. I cannot turn my back on them. For some of them, I am their lifeline. I take that responsibility seriously.

Do you just feed them or do you provide medical care (shots, etc) and spaying/neutering? If neither are provided the cats will gets sick and just continue to reproduce (and they inbreed with strange looking off-spring). Rabies are always a concern for non-vaccinated cats.

zoom-boing, I feed them because I figure the least they should have in life is food to eat. That may be all I can do for them. I'm not a rich person. But since I was able to befriend Lazarus and Delilah over the summer, I decided to rescue them. I already have six cats, four of whom are strays I rescued. This will make eight.

But even when I've gotten both of these two in I will continue putting food and water outside. Because some other cats may be depending on it. If no one eats it after a couple of days, perhaps I'll stop. But if it's being eaten, I'll continue putting cat food outside every day like I've been doing for at least three years. Never miss a day.

The kittens will be going to Animal Control. They don't have any trouble adopting kittens out there. Hopefully I can socialize them a little bit and make sure they know how to use the litter box before I take them there.

Last edited:
feed cats, too, that's why they show up at my house. I cannot turn my back on them. For some of them, I am their lifeline. I take that responsibility seriously.

zoom-boing, I feed them because I figure the least they should have in life is food to eat. That may be all I can do for them. I'm not a rich person. But since I was able to befriend Lazarus and Delilah over the summer, I decided to rescue them. I already have six cats, four of whom are strays I rescued. This will make eight.

But even when I've gotten both of these two in I will continue putting food and water outside. Because some other cats may be depending on it. If no one eats it after a couple of days, perhaps I'll stop. But if it's being eaten, I'll continue putting cat food outside every day like I've been doing for at least three years. Never miss a day.

The kittens will be going to Animal Control. They don't have any trouble adopting kittens out there. Hopefully I can socialize them a little bit and make sure they know how to use the litter box before I take them there.

By feeding them without getting them medical care and especially getting them spayed/neutered you are contributing to the feral cat problem, just as the woman who keeps feeding them around here is. I want to take care of all the cats around here but don't because it I can't afford proper care for them and it just exacerbates the entire problem. It isn't fair to the cats and it sure isn't fair to everyone else who lives around here. Just my 2 cents. :) Good luck with the two new cats!

By feeding them without getting them medical care and especially getting them spayed/neutered you are contributing to the feral cat problem, just as the woman who keeps feeding them around here is. I want to take care of all the cats around here but don't because it I can't afford proper care for them and it just exacerbates the entire problem. It isn't fair to the cats and it sure isn't fair to everyone else who lives around here. Just my 2 cents. :) Good luck with the two new cats!

I feed a feral cat colony, but surely cannot afford to spay/neuter them all. Every few years I end up adopting one, which is promptly vetted. So far, the colony is healthy with no Felv, rabies, or such. It saddens me that their lives are difficult but at least thei short lives are well fed and as sheltered as the barn can make them. In turn, those cats have kept my barn and feedstock mouse-free.

Last edited:

I feed a feral cat colony, but surely cannot afford to spay/neuter them all. Every few years I end up adopting one, which is promptly vetted. So far, the colony is healthy with no Felv, rabies, or such. It saddens me that their lives are difficult but at least thei short lives are well fed and as sheltered as the barn can make them. In turn, those cats have kept my barn and feedstock mouse-free.

I get that and all. Is your house isolated/surrounded by a lot of property or are you in a neighborhood situation where there are a lot of houses close together? I'm in the second situation which is why it is/has become a problem. The cats aren't just hanging at one house/barn/property, they roam all over, mark all over, have kittens all over. I can't tell you the condition I've found some of them in . . . it would break your heart. It isn't fair to the people or the cats around here that they are being fed without being vetted. I assume other cat situations are like mine ... that was dumb of me! :redface:

I get that and all. Is your house isolated/surrounded by a lot of property or are you in a neighborhood situation where there are a lot of houses close together? I'm in the second situation which is why it is/has become a problem. The cats aren't just hanging at one house/barn/property, they roam all over, mark all over, have kittens all over. I can't tell you the condition I've found some of them in . . . it would break your heart. It isn't fair to the people or the cats around here that they are being fed without being vetted. I assume other cat situations are like mine ... that was dumb of me! :redface:

I live in an area where lots are usually at least couple acres. The place next door keeps about 30 sled dogs. There are a couple other dog lots in the area, and loads of horses.

Okay, so you're suggesting I let them starve to death because I can't afford to take every one to the vet and get them spayed/neutered. Sorry, but I think I'll pass on that idea. It's not the feral cat "problem" I care about, it's the individual cats.

I am thinking about talking to someone at the SPCA or Humane Society, though, and seeing if they can help. I don't like to just turn cats over to some of these people, though, because their facilities are substandard as far as I'm concerned. I think the cats might be better off stray than in some of these rescue organization facilities. And I can't keep taking them in. So far I'm within reason and I'm legal...I have a special facility license from Animal control that allows me to have this many animals at my house (I have five dogs, also). But I can't really afford any more!

Last edited:
Here's my current plan to get the mom cat and kittens. I tie a rope to the door handle of my porch screen door, string the rope through the door into the house. Set my cat trap up on the porch. Once I've caught the mother cat, I peer through a crack in the door. When all four kittens come up on the porch to see what mom's doing, I pull the rope and close the screen door.

$100_1206.JPG

Okay, so you're suggesting I let them starve to death because I can't afford to take every one to the vet and get them spayed/neutered. Sorry, but I think I'll pass on that idea. It's not the feral cat "problem" I care about, it's the individual cats.

I am thinking about talking to someone at the SPCA or Humane Society, though, and seeing if they can help. I don't like to just turn cats over to some of these people, though, because their facilities are substandard as far as I'm concerned. I think the cats might be better off stray than in some of these rescue organization facilities. And I can't keep taking them in. So far I'm within reason and I'm legal...I have a special facility license from Animal control that allows me to have this many animals at my house (I have five dogs, also). But I can't really afford any more!

They won't starve to death they'll find food. I've found the carcass of many mice and birds that the cats have left behind. Once found the carcass of a small bunny ... could a cat kill a bunny? Hmmm, don't know, maybe. But they will hunt and survive even without being regularly fed. But the lifespan of a fercal cat is only a few years (on average) vs. that of a house cat.

I don't know your neighborhood situation, ours is many houses close together. A couple of kids have been scratched by some of the ferals and I had a $300 vet bill on my dog who injured her nose chasing the cats out of our (fenced in) yard. So my concern is less with the cats and more with the problems the cats cause for the people and pets living here. There was also a wild cat with rabies found one town over so that's always a concern.

I can tell you that our spca will monitor the cat for quite some time to see if they are tamable and if there is a chance at all that they can be adopted, they will try to find them a home. But often they are not tameable, at least in the timeframe that the spca gives them. The township was notified of the problem but since we don't have an animal control department they just blew us off. We have an HOA here as well who talked like they would do something but in the end they, like everyone else, decided to do nothing and ignore the problem. At the point when it becomes apparent that there is a plethora of feral cats in this neighborhood maybe the township or HOA will actually try to do something about it. In the mean time? I'm done trying to catch them, although any kittens I find I will socialize and give them the best chance to be adopted. One of these days my old cat will no longer be with us and maybe I'll be able to do more for them at that time. At the least, we would keep any kittens we found.

Were you able to catch the mom cat and her kittens? Did they do ok in the storm you had?

Zoom-boing, I have not been able to catch the kittens. It occurred to me that I don't need to trap the mom cat since she will let me pick her up! So I picked her up and put her in a kennel and then proceed with my plan to lure the kittens onto the porch and pull the door shut. The kittens had been playing nearby, under the van, but as soon as they heard mom make a couple of distressed sounds, they all shut up and hunkered down. They did not come to check on her. I waited a while and realized it wasn't going to work.

So, I let the mom out. The next day she had moved her kittens! : ( So, now I'm back to not knowing where they are.

The tomcat, Lazarus, is doing well. Took him to the vet Monday and the vet says he has fleas, but I'm skeptical. Been combing him with a flea comb and can't get a single flea. Lots of flea dirt, but I think it may be left over from a previous infestation. My theory is the fleas died out over the winter and all that's left behind is the flea dirt.

It'll be a bitch if all my other animals (eleven) get fleas. *sigh*

Anyway, Lazarus went to the SPCA Tuesday and was neutered and got shots, and they didn't see any fleas, either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yeah, the mom cats move the kittens in a blink don't they? That's one of the reasons I trapped the kittens I found ... I knew she'd move them. Am still looking for a home for the last two. They are starting to climb the area where I have them in the garage (kitten towne!) so I don't know how much longer they can stay. Dang, wish I could keep them. My old cat peed/marked in a new spot last night. :mad: Can't say for sure if it was him getting wind of the kittens or the fact that I opened the living room window yesterday. Grrrrr.

Glad to hear Lazarus is doing so well!

Well, I always put food out, every single day, and the mom cat is still showing up for dinner every day. So, I figure it's only a matter of time that the older kittens will be following her to my house to eat the cat food. I can't blow it next time. I think I just need to try and befriend them like I did the mom cat. When they see me petting her all the time, eventually they'll lose their fear of me. I hope. Winter's coming soon! : (

Ah, I saw a kitten hopping around under a bush nearby when I fed the mom cat last night. So they are following her around now. I expect they'll be eating the catfood soon. Maybe this weekend I can sit out there for a while. I need to get them used to me.

When they start to wean they'll come around with the mom for food, especially if she comes regularly. If they let you try petting them while they are eating. I did that with the kittens and even the last one, who took the longest to trust people and who is still skittish around more than one person at a time, let me do this. I wanted to get the connection of food plus petting by human = good.

We put up some flyers in the neighborhood and kitten #3 found his home! He's going tomorrow night, #1 and #2 are going in a week. That just leaves #4, who is the smallest and most hesitant with people. He's come a long way but still has some to go. I can not take just him to the spca, I'm afraid he'll just cower in the corner and be scared and no one will adopt him. :( Gotta find him a home!

And then there were three. #3 went to his forever home a bit ago. He was scared when I put him in the box but he adjusted the fastest when he came here so I'm sure he'll do fine. Felt kinda bad though cause he got scared. Agh! wish I could keep them all but alas, that just isn't feasible. #1 and #2 are going tomorrow after dinner. The girls taking them decided to take them a week early because next weekend is Home Coming at school (they're friends with the Seniors) and several people will be over. Figured they'd give the kitties a week to acclimate before that. So this time tomorrow night there will just be one lone kitty. :( That's making me feel bad. He'll be all alone in kitten towne and especially at night, no buddies to curl up next too. :frown: :frown:

I still haven't been able to get close to these kittens. Even though the mom lets me pet her, she is nervous about her kittens being around me and herds them away.

I brought out a jingly ball on a string today and was trying to entice the kittens with it. They were very curious and I felt they were going to start pouncing on it anytime. But the mom came over to check it out and when I pulled on the string and made the ball jingle she got concerned and whisked the kittens off somewhere.

On to Plan C. Whatever it is.

Oh, I bought some kitten food and started putting that out along with the other food. They ate it all!

I sure hope I can get them before it starts getting really cold...and snowing.

And then there were three. #3 went to his forever home a bit ago. He was scared when I put him in the box but he adjusted the fastest when he came here so I'm sure he'll do fine. Felt kinda bad though cause he got scared. Agh! wish I could keep them all but alas, that just isn't feasible. #1 and #2 are going tomorrow after dinner. The girls taking them decided to take them a week early because next weekend is Home Coming at school (they're friends with the Seniors) and several people will be over. Figured they'd give the kitties a week to acclimate before that. So this time tomorrow night there will just be one lone kitty. :( That's making me feel bad. He'll be all alone in kitten towne and especially at night, no buddies to curl up next too. :frown: :frown:

You sound just as soft-hearted as I am. Poor little kitties. : (

You do know that toms will kill kittens, right? I wouldn't want to bring a bunch of little kittens into a house with a feral tom cat.

We still have the last kitten. Can't seem to find a home for him and I just can't bring myself to take him to the spca.

Gaaaaaaa.

Forum List

Back