Strategies for Job Security

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Strategies for Ensuring Long-Term Job Security
By Marshall Loeb
From MarketWatch

Twelve-step programs aren't just for battling addiction. Employment attorney Richard C. Busse, author "Fired, Laid-Off or Forced Out," says that in order to avoid the heartbreak of being sacked there are 12 steps you can follow to build up currency in the workplace.

"In most cases [these steps] get down to basic workplace etiquette," writes Busse. "However it is surprising how frequently the considerations behind the steps are disregarded."

If you already incorporate them into your work life, there's a good chance your job is secure. If not, follow these suggestions for building workplace power:

for full article:
http://www.careerjournal.com/myc/killers/20070329-loeb.html

the ONLY way to have job security is to be your own boss.

That isn't any more secure than trying to make yourself indispensible to your boss. Whatever business you're in can simply tank, and you'll have no control over it.

Nobody, and nothing is irreplaceable.

Yeah, but if you work for a state agency in a liberal state it takes an act of Congress to get you fired after you pass the 6-month trial period.

See, libs and unions are good for something.

Yeah, but if you work for a state agency in a liberal state it takes an act of Congress to get you fired after you pass the 6-month trial period.

See, libs and unions are good for something.

Pfft. If you work for the Federal Government in a Liberal, OR Republican state, it takes MORE than an act of congress to get you fired. So, I suppose there IS some job security out there somewhere. :)

That isn't any more secure than trying to make yourself indispensible to your boss. Whatever business you're in can simply tank, and you'll have no control over it.

Nobody, and nothing is irreplaceable.

ah then if you want real job security make sure you join a union. it'll be almost impossible for you to get fired.

But seriously the only person you are "indespensible" to is you. i don't care how good you are sooner or later if you're working for someone else they will realize that yopu are costing too much and they can get 2 or 3 people who are younger faster and almost as good as you for less than you cost.

And you are telling me that any business can tank and you have no control. I submit to you that you have less control if you work for someone else.

Since your own business can fail so can one that is not yours. but when it is not yours you can be fired, downsized or the company can be sold and you're out etc etc.

the risks are less when you work for yourself.

Forum List

Back