Strange Historical Temp Records...

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Looking back on historical yearly mean temperature averages for a number of U.S. cities, it would appear some simple homework on actual recorded temps shows a decided lack of a global warming crisis throughout the United States...

Take Miami for example. From June 2008 to June 2009, the average mean was 77 degrees. That is two degrees cooler for that same time period 20 years earlier, and is the same yearly average of 1958-1959 - fifty years ago! Miami has not seen any increased warming in fifty years of temperature data.

Then we have New York. Its mean temperature average for June 2008-June 2009 was 56 degrees. That is a full degree cooler than ten years ago, and the same average temperature from 50 years ago. There has been no warming for New York either.

How about Chicago? the 2008-2009 temperature average was 49 degrees. This is three degrees cooler than ten years ago, and two degrees cooler than fifty years ago. No overall warming in Chicago over the last fifty years.

How about some West Coast data? In Seattle, the 2008-2009 mean temperature average was 52 degrees. This is a full two degrees cooler than ten years ago, and is the same average as fifty years ago. No warming trend in Seattle.

If you jump down to Los Angeles, the temps appear to vary greatly - with a 64 degree average in 2008-2009, which is two degrees warmer than ten years ago, but two degrees cooler than 50 years ago.

Let's take a look at some desert temps shall we? Phoenix had a 2008-2009 average of 76 degrees. This is one degree lower than the average of 20 years ago, but a degree higher from 50 years ago, so we put Phoenix in the slightly warmer column as compared to the year to year average 50 years prior.

What of Denver? Its 2008-2009 temperature average was 52 degrees. This is the same as ten years ago, and twenty years ago, though one degree higher than 50 years ago, so like Phoenix, Denver's most recent year to year average was slightly higher than a half-century earlier.

Of these seven locations spread throughout the continental United States, we see a net lowering of year to year average temperatures.

That's right, it is colder now than 50 years ago...

But we better pass that Cap n Trade legislation post-haste before the rest of America finally figures that out...

Miami: 1958-1959: 77 Degree Average
2008-2009: 77 Degree Average (Same)

New York: 1958-1959: 56 Degree Average
2008-2009: 56 Degree Average (Same)

Chicago: 1958-1959: 51 Degree Average
2008-2009: 49 Degree Average (-2)

Denver: 1958-1959: 51 Degree Average
2008-2009 : 52 Degree Average (+1)

Seattle: 1958-1959: 55 Degree Average
2008-2009: 52 Degree Average (-3)

L.A. 1958-1959: 66 Degree Average
2008-2009: 64 Degree Average (-2)

Phoenix: 1958-1959: 75 Degree Average
2008-2009: 76 Degree Average (+1)

Last edited:
Some more interesting temperature data.

Utilizing three year-to-year averaging points, we see that the average temperature for the city of Seattle in the 1980s came in at 60.3 degrees.

When comparing to this current decade utilizing the same three year-to-year averaging, we come up with an overall temperature average of 59.1 degrees - a full 1.2 degrees cooler!

Now if we are in the midst of man-made global warming, why the reduction in temperatures over a 20-year period of increased man-made CO2?

Jump across the continent to New York, and a similar, albeit less drastic, outcome results.

New York saw a 1980s temperature average of 61.6 degrees.

So far this current decade has seen a temperature average of 61.3 degrees - another reduction in overall average temperatures!

Jump across the pond to England and a similar temperature reduction story plays out.

Utilizing the same year-to-year averaging done for Seattle and New York, we see a 1980s temperature average for London of 11.13 C / 52.03 degrees.

For the current decade this average has fallen to 11.03 / 51.85 degrees.

Even London, a hotbed of global warming alarmism is seeing its yearly average temperatures declining in relation to temperatures from two decades prior.

Al Gore still has no comment...

Some more interesting temperature data.

Utilizing three year-to-year averaging points, we see that the average temperature for the city of Seattle in the 1980s came in at 60.3 degrees.

When comparing to this current decade utilizing the same three year-to-year averaging, we come up with an overall temperature average of 59.1 degrees - a full 1.2 degrees cooler!

Now if we are in the midst of man-made global warming, why the reduction in temperatures over a 20-year period of increased man-made CO2?

Jump across the continent to New York, and a similar, albeit less drastic, outcome results.

New York saw a 1980s temperature average of 61.6 degrees.

So far this current decade has seen a temperature average of 61.3 degrees - another reduction in overall average temperatures!

Jump across the pond to England and a similar temperature reduction story plays out.

Utilizing the same year-to-year averaging done for Seattle and New York, we see a 1980s temperature average for London of 11.13 C / 52.03 degrees.

For the current decade this average has fallen to 11.03 / 51.85 degrees.

Even London, a hotbed of global warming alarmism is seeing its yearly average temperatures declining in relation to temperatures from two decades prior.

Al Gore still has no comment...

Lies ... all lies .... Al Gore is the prophet! How dare you!

Ooops, sorry, channeling the wingnuts a bit there .... or perhaps foretelling what they will cry about.

more necon ramblings....

If you find the truth to be rambling - then so be it! The 1990s were warmer than normal. The last decade has been not only cooler than the 1990s, but in fact cooler than the 1980s
as well as other decades prior in the 20th Century.

Lastly, I am familiar with the term neocon - but what is a "necon"?

Is that the sound Al Gore makes when attempting to lumber in and out of his limo?

Link?

It hasn't snowed in Miami since 1977.

Yesterday it was 100 degrees in Miami.

:lol:

Miami you say?

Yesterday, the recorded high was actually 98degrees.

Now take the average temperature for Miami for the last year - that equals 77 degrees.

This equals the average temperature ten years ago.

It is also a full degree cooler than the average Miami temperature 20 years ago.

Utilizing the same decade average as the other cities, Miami's temperatures during the current decade have averaged 76.6 degrees. This is nearly a full degree cooler than the previous decade.

It does make the current decade average marginally warmer than the 1980s by .3 of a degree - but makes it no warmer than Miami 50 years ago when that decade also averaged 76.6 degrees.

And getting back to a nice year-to-year comparison, from June 22, 1948 to June 22, 1949, the average temperature in Miami was 77 degrees.From June 22, 2008,
to June 22, 2009, the average temperature in Miami was...77 degrees.

So like almost all the other major city examples, while the 1990s were in fact marginally warmer than some previous decades, more significant cooling has been taking place since that time, bringing current temperature averages at, or in some cases below, historical normal averages for several decades prior.

Including Miami.

Al Gore has no comment....

Last edited:
Link?

It hasn't snowed in Miami since 1977.

Yesterday it was 100 degrees in Miami.

:lol:

Miami you say?

Yesterday, the recorded high was actually 98degrees.

Now take the average temperature for Miami for the last year - that equals 77 degrees.

This equals the average temperature ten years ago.

It is also a full degree cooler than the average Miami temperature 20 years ago.

Utilizing the same decade average as the other cities, Miami's temperatures during the current decade have averaged 76.6 degrees. This is nearly a full degree cooler than the previous decade.

It does make the current decade average marginally warmer than the 1980s by .3 of a degree - but makes it no warmer than Miami 50 years ago when that decade also averaged 76.6 degrees.

And getting back to a nice year-to-year comparison, from June 22, 1948 to June 22, 1949, the average temperature in Miami was 77 degrees.From June 22, 2008,
to June 22, 2009, the average temperature in Miami was...77 degrees.

So like almost all the other major city examples, while the 1990s were in fact marginally warmer than some previous decades, more significant cooling has been taking place since that time, bringing current temperature averages at, or in some cases below, historical normal averages for several decades prior.

Including Miami.

Al Gore has no comment....

Hottest temperatures ever recorded in South Florida
June 22, 2:17 PM

Hot like a desert but SoFla humid (NOAA)A heat advisory is in effect until 7 PM tonight and we could be near the all-time record highs. That means we will be near the hottest temperatures that have ever been recorded in South Florida. The highest ever recorded in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale was 100 degrees back on July 21, 1942 and August 4, 1944 respectively. West Palm Beach's highest recorded temperature was 101 degrees on July 21, 1942 as well. Yesterday records were broke all across South Florida and Ft. Lauderdale shattered their old record by 4 degrees with a high of 98, hottest June temperature ever recorded.

Hot like a desert but SoFla humid (NOAA)A heat advisory is in effect until 7 PM tonight and we could be near the all-time record highs. That means we will be near the hottest temperatures that have ever been recorded in South Florida. The highest ever recorded in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale was 100 degrees back on July 21, 1942 and August 4, 1944 respectively. West Palm Beach's highest recorded temperature was 101 degrees on July 21, 1942 as well. Yesterday records were broke all across South Florida and Ft. Lauderdale shattered their old record by 4 degrees with a high of 98, hottest June temperature ever recorded.

Wait? Was there global warming caused by man in the 40's too?

more necon ramblings....

If you find the truth to be rambling - then so be it! The 1990s were warmer than normal. The last decade has been not only cooler than the 1990s, but in fact cooler than the 1980s
as well as other decades prior in the 20th Century.

Lastly, I am familiar with the term neocon - but what is a "necon"?

Is that the sound Al Gore makes when attempting to lumber in and out of his limo?

Trying to prove the facts are wrong, the data shows we're warming, with 1 (or 2) years of slight cooling, now you deniers are cherry picking data worse than Al, you're really messed up:cuckoo:

Wait? Was there global warming caused by man in the 40's too?

Nice how the global warmers just stepped right into showing cyclical warming and cooling trends, eh?

What a complete hoax this AGW thing continues to be.

And poor Chicago is seeing a record cold June in 2009...

http://weblogs.wgntv.com/chicago-we...2009/06/chilly-junes-2009-open-one-for-2.html

To say nothing of the record cold in Green Bay this June!

http://www.shortnews.co.uk/start.cfm?id=79087

Last edited:
I love when people say CO2 induced warming is a hoax.

CO2 induced warming is a physical fact. No one denies that CO2 causes the earth to retain heat. CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and we have increased atmospheric CO2 by 40% in the last 200 years.

Nothing like politics getting in the way of your worldview.

CO2 induced warming is a physical fact. No one denies that CO2 causes the earth to retain heat. CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and we have increased atmospheric CO2 by 40% in the last 200 years.

I will not argue that CO2 does not cause the earth to retain heat, but if you remember Gore's CO2 and temperature charts, you must remember that the rise of CO2 followed the temperature rise.

I will not argue that CO2 does not cause the earth to retain heat, but if you remember Gore's CO2 and temperature charts, you must remember that the rise of CO2 followed the temperature rise.

Shhhh.

Don't confuse poor Chris.

He's a real estate agent...

What he does not go on to point out, either via ignorance, or willful omission, is that the earth has experienced overall gradual warming for at least 200 years, and while CO emissions have in fact increased, that increase in comparison to total greenhouse gases, is minimal at most. Professor William Happer of Princeton went on record stating CO2 doom n gloom warnings are greatly exaggerated and that in fact, any future increase of CO2 will have even less impact on global temperatures than they might already have had. Happer also points to the fact that during 1950-1970 as CO2 levels were increasing, the earth was cooling, once again showing CO2's lesser role in earth's climate.

Happer's decided unwillingness regarding CO2 and its use as the end-all of climate change by the pro-Global Warmers, was mirrored by Kanya Kusano, of Japan's Marine-Earth Science and Technology Institute, who described the CO2 models incorporated by the global warmers as "unprovable hypothesis", and the so called science behind those models as similar to ancient astrology.

And all the while, the earth's temperatures continue to cool yet again...

Last edited:
I really have no dog in this fight since I don't presume to know enough about climatology to venture a guess as to what is happening.

But some things one does not need to be a climatologist to understand.

For instance, our global average temperature can be warming or cooling and still other factors can come into play to warm or cool some areas of that globe that are contrary to the overall global averages.

That's why I think they ought to call what's happening Global WIERDING, instead of global warming.

Also, I am informed that the sun spot cycles can have a dramatic effect on the earth's climate regardless of what is happening to our atmosphere.

I can imagine a scenario where (for example) the CO2 is creating a greenhouse effect, but the sun's activities might be counterbalancing that effect.

The point is that we just don't really know what is happening.

So I can appreciate that many of you are dubious that we are in a period of global warming.

Now I happen to think that mankind had best find some way to limit the CO2 we're putting into the air, anyway.

But that isn't based on any climate science other than the common sense science that informs me that we all share this atmosphere and we can't keep using it as a waste dump.

Pretty radical, huh?

Don't shit where ya' eat.

Last edited:
editec, it is pretty obvious what is happening.

The sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years, and this is counteracting the influence of increasing atmospheric CO2 by 40%. The sun's activity level will now rise as it moves toward the peak of its cycle in 2013. Meanwhile, methane trapped in the arctic is beginning to be released as the arctic ice melts. This methane could increase tempertures even more because methane is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2.

I really have no dog in this fight since I don't presume to know enough about climatology to venture a guess as to what is happening.

But some things one does not need to be a climatologist to understand.

For instance, our global average temperature can be warming or cooling and still other factors can come into play to warm or cool some areas of that globe that are contrary to the overall global averages.

That's why I think they ought to call what's happening Global WIERDING, instead of global warming.

Also, I am informed that the sun spot cycles can have a dramatic effect on the earth's climate regardless of what is happening to our atmosphere.

I can imagine a scenario where (for example) the CO2 is creating a greenhouse effect, but the sun's activities might be counterbalancing that effect.

The point is that we just don't really know what is happening.

So I can appreciate that many of you are dubious that we are in a period of global warming.

Now I happen to think that mankind had best find some way to limit the CO2 we're putting into the air, anyway.

But that isn't based on any climate science other than the common sense science that informs me that we all share this atmosphere and we can't keep using it as a waste dump.

Pretty radical, huh?

Don't shit where ya' eat.

Completely agree with the intent of your comments there.

I have no problem with continued efforts toward improving overall quality of the environment. The United States has made considerable improvements in both water and air quality over the last 40 years.

That being said, common sense should not be thrown away in a knee jerk, overly emotional response to the dubious claims of the global warming industry that has been working for years to further cash in on this propoganda - and industry whose foundations are speculative models that are easily manipulated and already proven wrong in their estimations from the 1990s. (Hear them now explain how the lack of sunspot activity is hiding the actual impacts of global warming - and yet, that very arguement shows the relative insignificance of humankind's influence upon global temperatures - and make no mistake, if the sunspot activity ramps up - these same global warmers will be screaming it is because of humans that temperatures are warming - not the sun. Oh the arrogance!)

The United States was warmer in the 1930s and 1940s than now. Glaciers have retreated and reformed for thousands of years. There have been periods of drought, and periods of torrential rains. Mild winters, harsh winters, and all examples between.

By all means we should continue to clean up after ourselves - but until we are able to convince the nearly 2 billion Chinese and Indians to do the same, the improvements made by the United States will be of little import - but I am fine with at least setting an example - but NOT an example of extremes. To damage our economy, further harm the poor, and restrict opportunity for upward mobility in the name of climate folly is not a supportive premise...

P.S. - Glad to see the Obama administration quietly allowing some new nuclear power plants to begin construction. That kind of common sense energy production is looooong overdue...

Last edited:
The sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years, and yet we are experiencing record heat across the United States.....

Record-setting heat not over yet - USATODAY.com

Cities in Wisconsin and Michigan and all the way down to Texas and Florida have been smashing heat records this week: concrete roads buckled, one person was found dead and seven show dogs died. "Records will continue to roll in," said James Wilson, a meteorologist at The Weather Channel.

Wilson said a wide swath of the country is experiencing temperatures ranging 10 to 15 degrees above average.

Some record-setting temperatures set on Wednesday: 96 degrees in Grand Rapids, Mich.; 95 in Traverse City, Mich.; 105 in Austin; 104 in Houston; and 106 in Waco.

Even Hawaii is experiencing record heat...

http://www.kitv.com/news/19763122/detail.html

HONOLULU -- Honolulu has been experiencing unusually hot weather for this time of year, weather officials said.

It is the eighth day that temperatures have reached as high as 92 degrees. It is an all-time record for June -- 5 degrees above average.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back