Strange alien world found to have water vapor and possibly rain clouds

Please tell me how we can see a planet circling a far away sun that looks like a dot and say there is life, clouds, water, atmosphere and the rest and we have spent tens of billions of dollars on robot spacecraft landing and circling with advanced cameras, advanced detectors of anything possible and telescopes on earth also looking at mars and have not found a molecule of life? We change the tests for it on every mission and the results are still the same.

For starters, because there is no life on Mars. We can do the other things you mentioned because we can analyze the light spectral patters those exoplanets emit much like a finger print. Certain gases in those atmospheres produce certain changes in the light we detect emanating from them. That’s how we make those determinations.

In other words, it is based on a theory that has not been proven. Light traveling for millions of years could be affected by any number of sources across that distance. Call me skeptical.

Please tell me how we can see a planet circling a far away sun that looks like a dot and say there is life, clouds, water, atmosphere and the rest and we have spent tens of billions of dollars on robot spacecraft landing and circling with advanced cameras, advanced detectors of anything possible and telescopes on earth also looking at mars and have not found a molecule of life? We change the tests for it on every mission and the results are still the same.

For starters, because there is no life on Mars. We can do the other things you mentioned because we can analyze the light spectral patters those exoplanets emit much like a finger print. Certain gases in those atmospheres produce certain changes in the light we detect emanating from them. That’s how we make those determinations.

In other words, it is based on a theory that has not been proven. Light traveling for millions of years could be affected by any number of sources across that distance. Call me skeptical.

How about we just call you an idiot. Your whole life is based on a theory that hasn't been proven.

I hope they don't decide to invade our country, like the aliens from south of the border.

How about we just call you an idiot. Your whole life is based on a theory that hasn't been proven.

Yeah, it's like that "hole flow" theory that tube freaks like you use to explain how electricity flows the wrong way.

Yeah, it's like that "hole flow" theory that tube freaks like you use to explain how electricity flows the wrong way.

More uneducated dreck from the 27 year teacher that doesn't teach? What you are trying to refer to is called "conventional flow" of positive to negative caused by the electron holes made in a substrate (displaced valance electrons) due to the displacement of electrons flowing negative to cancel the charge forming an ion. As opposed to electron flow, which is the actual electrons flowing toward the positive source.

Any more crap you got wrong and taught wrong for years to your PS victims you want me to straighten you out on?

Last edited:
If the OP is expecting life there because of water vapor and possible rain clouds, then that isn't good thinking. If there was life there to begin with, then water would be necessary for survival. However, water is an universal solvent, so not good for forming amino acids. Oops, just save your rocket fuel for other planets that actually show signs of life.

Well actually it has been proven & is a very common technique. The data isn’t just taken from the visible part of the light spectrum either...

How to Measure Exoplanet Light – Exoplanet Exploration: Planets Beyond our Solar System

Well actually it has been proven & is a very common technique. The data isn’t just taken from the visible part of the light spectrum either...

How to Measure Exoplanet Light – Exoplanet Exploration: Planets Beyond our Solar System

Scientists have no idea how that light is affected by travel across trillions of miles of deep space either!

More uneducated dreck from the 27 year teacher that doesn't teach? What you are trying to refer to is called "conventional flow" of positive to negative caused by the electron holes made in a substrate (displaced valance electrons) due to the displacement of electrons flowing negative to cancel the charge forming an ion. As opposed to electron flow, which is the actual electrons flowing toward the positive source.

Any more crap you got wrong and taught wrong for years to your PS victims you want me to straighten you out on?

I was a Navy electronics technician. People who work on actual equipment for a livng know thet the theory does not work, especially in vacuum tubes. Our intsructors used to laugh at students who had college classes in elctrical theory when they could not explain their "hole theory".

I was a Navy electronics technician. People who work on actual equipment for a livng know thet the theory does not work, especially in vacuum tubes. Our intsructors used to laugh at students who had college classes in elctrical theory when they could not explain their "hole theory".

So basically, you were a buttcrack grunt repairman. I wouldn't expect you to understand the physics of it. The stuff you worked on, I used to design. Hope you were a better technician than you were math teacher or combat instructor. How many other hats did you wear?

I was a Navy electronics technician. People who work on actual equipment for a living know that the theory does not work, especially in vacuum tubes. Our instructors used to laugh at students who had college classes in electrical theory when they could not explain their "hole theory".

So basically, you were a buttcrack grunt repairman. I wouldn't expect you to understand the physics of it. The stuff you worked on, I used to design. Hope you were a better technician than you were math teacher or combat instructor. How many other hats did you wear?

YOU don't understand the physics of it any more than any of my college professors in electrical engineering, who addressed my arguments of why electricity cannot flow from positive to negative with shrugged shoulders, and said, "That's just the way it is!"

The same attitude applies to so-called climate-change supporters.

BTW, it is 52 degrees here this morning going for highs near 100 this coming weekend. We have not had rain in well over three weeks, yet my grass keeps growing like there is no tomorrow!

YOU don't understand the physics of it any more than any of my college professors in electrical engineering, who addressed my arguments of why electricity cannot flow from positive to negative with shrugged shoulders, and said, "That's just the way it is!"
Look, Chumly, you are just another one of these USMB trolls who claims expertise on all things: the combat instructor who couldn't fight his way out of a female dorm panty raid, the 27 year math instructor who couldn't explain a simple math concept to others here, and now telling others who used to design and analyze telecom and audio gear down to below the component level what I don't know about the flow of electricity! :abgg2q.jpg:
SPARE US your bullshit, "Admiral," we've all heard it here from you 100 other times, if you went to college and your instructors told you that, you deserved being ripped off whatever tuition they charged you! Obviously, if your instructors were idiots, where does that leave you? IDIOT+

Look, Chumly, you are just another one of these USMB trolls who claims expertise on all things: the combat instructor who couldn't fight his way out of a female dorm panty raid, the 27 year math instructor who couldn't explain a simple math concept to others here, and now telling others who used to design and analyze telecom and audio gear down to below the component level what I don't know about the flow of electricity! :abgg2q.jpg:
SPARE US your bullshit, "Admiral," we've all heard it here from you 100 other times, if you went to college and your instructors told you that, you deserved being ripped off whatever tuition they charged you! Obviously, if your instructors were idiots, where does that leave you? IDIOT+

You obviously don't know the answer or you would be able to counter my claim. The fact you cannot continues the longest losing streak on USMB.

Planet only comes with ONE small glitch-- -- -- -- with present NASA/JPL technology, it would still take an astronaut 4.6 million years just to get there one way. Even Tang and MREs don't keep that long!
If we make nuclear powered space ships that accelerate themselves by superheating heavy metals like lead, mercury or tungsten, we could travel to Pluto in 15 days, or interstellar in a relatively short time. To go an interstellar distance, at such acceleration, take the distance in light yuears and add one year, so it would take 111 years to reach this planet, but it would seem like only a few years.
Space travel using constant acceleration - Wikipedia
A major limiting factor for constant acceleration drives is having enough fuel. Constant acceleration won't be feasible unless the specific impulse for fuel (the fuel's fuel efficiency) becomes much higher.

There are two broad categories for ways to solve this problem: one is higher efficiency fuel (the motor ship approach) and the other is drawing propulsion energy from the environment as the ship passes through it (the sailing ship approach). Two possibilities for the motor ship approach are nuclear and matter–antimatter based fuels. One possibility for the sailing ship approach is discovering something equivalent to the parallelogram of force between wind and water which allows sails to propel a sailing ship.

Picking up fuel along the way—the ramjet approach—will lose efficiency as the space craft's speed increases relative to the planetary reference. This happens because the fuel must be accelerated to the spaceship's velocity before its energy can be extracted and that will cut the fuel efficiency dramatically.

A related issue is drag. If the near light-speed space craft is interacting with matter or energy that is moving slowly in the planetary reference frame—solar wind, magnetic fields, cosmic microwave background radiation—this will cause drag which will bleed off a portion of the engine's acceleration.

A second big issue facing ships using constant acceleration for interstellar travel is colliding with matter and radiation while en route. In mid-journey any matter the ship strikes will be impacting at near light speed, so the impact will be dramatic.

Interstellar traveling speeds[edit]
If a space ship is using constant acceleration over interstellar distances, it will approach the speed of light for the middle part of its journey when viewed from the planetary frame of reference. This means that the interesting effects of relativity will become important. The most important effect is that time will appear to pass at different rates in the ship frame and the planetary frame, and this means that the ship's speed and journey time will appear different in the two frames.

Planetary reference frame[edit]
From the planetary frame of reference, the ship's speed will appear to be limited by the speed of light—it can approach the speed of light, but never reach it. If a ship is using 1 g constant acceleration, it will appear to get near the speed of light in about a year, and have traveled about half a light year in distance. For the middle of the journey the ship's speed will be roughly the speed of light, and it will slow down again to zero over a year at the end of the journey.

As a rule of thumb, for a constant acceleration at one g (Earth gravity), the ship journey time will be the distance in light years to the destination, plus one year. This rule of thumb will give answers that are slightly shorter than the exact calculated answer, but reasonably accurate.

Ship reference frame[edit]
From the frame of reference of those on the ship the acceleration will not change as the journey goes on. Instead the planetary reference frame will look more and more relativistic. This means that for voyagers on the ship the journey will appear to be much shorter than what planetary observers see.

Plot of velocity parameters and times on the horizontal axis, versus position on the vertical axis, for an accelerated twin roundtrip to a destination with ΔxAB=10c2/α ~10 lightyears away if α~9.8 m/s2.
At a constant acceleration of 1 g, a rocket could travel the diameter of our galaxy in about 12 years ship time, and about 113,000 years planetary time. If the last half of the trip involves deceleration at 1 g, the trip would take about 24 years. If the trip is merely to the nearest star, with deceleration the last half of the way, it would take 3.6 years.[6]

If NBC reported it then it has to be a Trump/Republican conspiracy.

Then why do we keep going there? It seems to be an addiction that every two years another mission is sent.
Because it looks like Arizona. Never mind the temp is lower than the north pole most of the time.
Mars is merely a convenient logistical supply point for mining the Astroid Belt.

Why do we want to do that?

Well....

NASA: Asteroid has $10,000 Quadrillion in Iron, Gold, Silver
IF we do that, we would build a base on the asteroid/moon Phobos or Deimos. Still not much reason to settle down on mars. But the truth is, were never gonna go there.

IF we do that, we would build a base on the asteroid/moon Phobos or Deimos.

Well, we would do that too. But depending on where you are going to, the logistical supply point will be different depending on where the relative planets/astroids are a t a given time.. We are going to need not only Mars and the Moon developed but also the Langrangian points of both Earth and Mars as well.

Then there is the lure of eventually terraforming Mars and Venus as well.

Still not much reason to settle down on mars. But the truth is, were never gonna go there.

Oh we will go there because if we don't someone else will and we cant have that, lol.

Forum List

Back