Straight White Male

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
It's the easiest game setting there is. Congratz to all who attained it by virtue of being born. :)

Straight White Male: The Lowest Difficulty Setting There Is

I’ve been thinking of a way to explain to straight white men how life works for them, without invoking the dreaded word “privilege,” to which they react like vampires being fed a garlic tart at high noon. It’s not that the word “privilege” is incorrect, it’s that it’s not their word. When confronted with “privilege,” they fiddle with the word itself, and haul out the dictionaries and find every possible way to talk about the word but not any of the things the word signifies.

So, the challenge: how to get across the ideas bound up in the word “privilege,” in a way that your average straight white man will get, without freaking out about it?
Being a white guy who likes women, here’s how I would do it:

Dudes. Imagine life here in the US — or indeed, pretty much anywhere in the Western world — is a massive role playing game, like World of Warcraft except appallingly mundane, where most quests involve the acquisition of money, cell phones and donuts, although not always at the same time. Let’s call it The Real World. You have installed The Real World on your computer and are about to start playing, but first you go to the settings tab to bind your keys, fiddle with your defaults, and choose the difficulty setting for the game. Got it?

Okay: In the role playing game known as The Real World, “Straight White Male” is the lowest difficulty setting there is.

This means that the default behaviors for almost all the non-player characters in the game are easier on you than they would be otherwise. The default barriers for completions of quests are lower. Your leveling-up thresholds come more quickly. You automatically gain entry to some parts of the map that others have to work for. The game is easier to play, automatically, and when you need help, by default it’s easier to get.

Or as I once told my night foreman. Of COURSE you think the world is fine as it is. That's because nobody's ever come gunning for WASP, brown-eyed, brown-haired, short balding men wearing glasses.

And they never will.

It's the easiest game setting there is. Congratz to all who attained it by virtue of being born. :)
Or as I once told my night foreman. Of COURSE you think the world is fine as it is. That's because nobody's ever come gunning for WASP, brown-eyed, brown-haired, short balding men wearing glasses. And they never will.
You obviously didn't grow up White in Los Angeles where I learned that racism can come from whatever race has the dominate numbers.

Asians, Hispanics and Blacks can be just as racist as anyone else.

I don't suffer from "Liberal White Guilt Syndrome" as you apparently do and I never will.

• Banned
Or as I once told my night foreman. Of COURSE you think the world is fine as it is. That's because nobody's ever come gunning for WASP, brown-eyed, brown-haired, short balding men wearing glasses. And they never will.
You obviously didn't grow up White in Los Angeles where I learned that racism can come from whatever race has the dominate numbers.

Asians, Hispanics and Blacks can be just as racist as anyone else.

I don't suffer from "Liberal White Guilt Syndrome" as you apparently do and I never will.

/snort

You didn't read the article, did you.

No, she's just a man hater, plain and simple. The more you reject her feminist BS the more she'll reveal this hatred.

I wonder how White men got into the premium position she holds them to have? I mean, how come White men did not have to get permission from women to leave the kitchen or from minorities to enter their countries? LOL

I’ve been thinking of a way to explain to straight white men how life works for them, without invoking the dreaded word “privilege,” to which they react like vampires being fed a garlic tart at high noon. It’s not that the word “privilege” is incorrect, it’s that it’s not their word. When confronted with “privilege,” they fiddle with the word itself, and haul out the dictionaries and find every possible way to talk about the word but not any of the things the word signifies.

So, the challenge: how to get across the ideas bound up in the word “privilege,” in a way that your average straight white man will get, without freaking out about it?

Dudes. Imagine life here in the US — or indeed, pretty much anywhere in the Western world — is a massive role playing game, like World of Warcraft except appallingly mundane, where most quests involve the acquisition of money, cell phones and donuts, although not always at the same time. Let’s call it The Real World. You have installed The Real World on your computer and are about to start playing, but first you go to the settings tab to bind your keys, fiddle with your defaults, and choose the difficulty setting for the game. Got it?

Okay: In the role playing game known as The Real World, “Straight White Male” is the lowest difficulty setting there is.

This means that the default behaviors for almost all the non-player characters in the game are easier on you than they would be otherwise. The default barriers for completions of quests are lower. Your leveling-up thresholds come more quickly. You automatically gain entry to some parts of the map that others have to work for. The game is easier to play, automatically, and when you need help, by default it’s easier to get.

Or as I once told my night foreman. Of COURSE you think the world is fine as it is. That's because nobody's ever come gunning for WASP, brown-eyed, brown-haired, short balding men wearing glasses.

And they never will.

They certainly get defensive REAL quick, don't they?

• Banned

And they never will.

They certainly get defensive REAL quick, don't they?

Oh, surely yah. :)

And they never will.

One topic nobody can touch with a ten meter cattle-prod is African-Americans.

Racism is a taboo subject.

Nobody goes to EEO over racial descrimination because they're white even though it happens all the time. I was told by a black that I shouldn't listen to Rush because it makes me look like a racist.

Nobody goes to EEO because they were sexually-harrassed if they're a guy.

I've had both happen to me. Course I got over it. But I hate being treated like a slab of meat *sob*

*sniff* it's so degrading *sniff*

Last edited:
_

Attachments

• $thread-fail-stamp.gif
    $thread-fail-stamp.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 62

Forum List

Back