Straight talk for Obama

jreeves

Feb 12, 2008
The surge in Iraq is working...

Brookings Institution Military Expert And Former Kerry Adviser, Michael O'Hanlon, On Obama Visiting Iraq: "It's A No-Brainer." "'I think it's a no-brainer,' says O'Hanlon, adding that Obama would be 'remiss' as a candidate if he didn't visit soon. O'Hanlon once was sharply critical of U.S. policy in Iraq, but after several post-surge visits he is hopeful of a good outcome." (Philip Dine, "Obama Takes Heat On Lack Of Iraq Trips," St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 6/15/08)

O'Hanlon: "I'm struck by how much you learn on these trips, when you meet enlisted soldiers or a battalion commander in the field. ... When commanders in the field say it's going a lot better, they're not saying that because George Bush told them to. Obama's going to get a lot of straight talk." (Philip Dine, "Obama Takes Heat On Lack Of Iraq Trips," St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 6/15/08)

Except the war was illegal to start with, arguing now illegality is working is irrelevant.

Once Upon a Time...: Trapped in the Wrong Paradigm: Three Handy Rules

"A team of American and Iraqi epidemiologists estimates that 655,000 more people have died in Iraq since coalition forces arrived in March 2003 than would have died if the invasion had not occurred.

The Missing Moral Center: Murdering the Innocent

"If you have ever wondered how a serial murderer -- a murderer who is sane and fully aware of the acts he has committed -- can remain steadfastly convinced of his own moral superiority and show not even the slightest glimmer of remorse, you should not wonder any longer."

Once Upon a Time...: The Missing Moral Center: Murdering the Innocent

Except the war was illegal to start with, arguing now illegality is working is irrelevant.

"A team of American and Iraqi epidemiologists estimates that 655,000 more people have died in Iraq since coalition forces arrived in March 2003 than would have died if the invasion had not occurred.

"If you have ever wondered how a serial murderer -- a murderer who is sane and fully aware of the acts he has committed -- can remain steadfastly convinced of his own moral superiority and show not even the slightest glimmer of remorse, you should not wonder any longer."

Hmm....Past Presidents, pretty much every intelligence agency in the world, Obama himself, almost every democrat under the sun......saying that Saddam is developing WMD's isn't justification for war then I would like to know when a war is justified?

The only liar on this thread so far is you and your claims the war was illegal. President Bush ask for and received Congressional authority to conduct the "war". You don't like it? To damn bad.

Thats the way it works.

Further you dip shit, Congress could cut off funds any time they want. I wonder why it is the Democrats haven't done so? I mean it being an illegal war and all?

Blah, blah , blah, how many times to we have to hear this drivel? I noticed that it always gets louder when people start saying things about the war going well.

As for the statistics of how many dead, I noticed that it's been "estimated" by people who haven't even been near there. Is there a special mathematical equation for calculating dead? Must look like this:

X= Number of attacks
Y= Number of reported casualties

300000(x*y)= NUmber of dead.

If you want I can give you specific numbers?

Terrific!

We went into that conflict undermanned for the mission, according to many generals.

I'm inclined to believe it, too, given what happened in the first years of this occupation.

Apparently, if these reports are correct, adding enough troops to actually take control of some areas of the nation has actually helped.

I'm thrilled to hear it, to be frank.

The sooner we can get our guys out of that shithole, the sooner we let the Iraqi solve their own internal problems, the better.

Yeah, I'd love to see the numbers of the projected troop drawdowns.

Terrific!

We went into that conflict undermanned for the mission, according to many generals.

I'm inclined to believe it, too, given what happened in the first years of this occupation.

Apparently, if these reports are correct, adding enough troops to actually take control of some areas of the nation has actually helped.

I'm thrilled to hear it, to be frank.

The sooner we can get our guys out of that shithole, the sooner we let the Iraqi solve their own internal problems, the better.

Yeah, I'd love to see the numbers of the projected troop drawdowns.
That appears to be what is happening, Iraqi soliders taking over security for their own nation. It is exciting to see the situation improving, I agree the sooner the better.
Chicago Daily Observer | To Iterate: U.S. President to pull out 30,000 troops from Iraq next July
PRESIDENT BUSH: We’re withdrawing troops. We anticipate the 30,000 surge troops will be coming home by July—more or less, 30,000. And so the plan is, bring them home based upon success. That’s what we expect the British Prime Minister to do. That’s what I’m doing—that as the Iraqis are trained up, as they’re taking more responsibility, as the security situations decline, as the economy is improved, as political reconciliation is taking place, we can bring more troops home. That’s the whole purpose of the strategy. And so, give the Iraqis more responsibility. Let them take more—be in more charge of their own security and their own government, and that’s what’s happening.

And so, you know, I mean—look, the key thing for me is that I have—you know, is that Gordon shares with me his plans. He listens to—he talks to his commanders and he picks up the phone and says, here’s what we’re thinking. So there’s no surprises. And as I said yesterday on TV here, I have no problem with how Gordon Brown is dealing with Iraq. He’s been a good partner and—but, as I told you, we’re bringing ours home, too.

Forum List

Back