Storm damage :-(

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I thought we were lucky enough to escape damage from the storms we've been lashed with here in Westchester. It rained a TON here today. I just went 2 towns over to pickup my son and saw that the house wasn't so lucky.

Our house has been flooded very badly, again. The basement is under about 3 feet of water, including the garage. I have/had boxes stored there, tools, clothing, stairmaster and other miscellaneous personal effects.

The brand new washer and dryer are now curbside junk. Not sure about the hot water heater but it's definitely under water. Looks like the water went high enough to hit the circuit board for the AC/Heating unit.

The entire garage is under just as much water. My mini fridge is literally floating. Tons of Jordan's toys, more tools, cabinetry... All floating. The car, a 2001 Nissan Maxima, has received a lot of damage. The car is under water, and it has come up and above the brake and gas pedals. Wife is in tears and I have no idea what to say to her.

Yes, there's insurance, so we should be covered for all the damage. Yes, although I'm not currently living there, I'm still very much a part of things. I have an obvious monetary interest, as my belongings are there and my name is still on the deed. But more importantly, because I still know that's my 'home', that's where my wife and son must live, and I won't consider it anything less than 'our home'. All of my love is still there.

I was going to take pictures but didn't have my camera with me, and it's a bit sad to look at. :(

jimnyc said:
I thought we were lucky enough to escape damage from the storms we've been lashed with here in Westchester. It rained a TON here today. I just went 2 towns over to pickup my son and saw that the house wasn't so lucky.

Our house has been flooded very badly, again. The basement is under about 3 feet of water, including the garage. I have/had boxes stored there, tools, clothing, stairmaster and other miscellaneous personal effects.

The brand new washer and dryer are now curbside junk. Not sure about the hot water heater but it's definitely under water. Looks like the water went high enough to hit the circuit board for the AC/Heating unit.

The entire garage is under just as much water. My mini fridge is literally floating. Tons of Jordan's toys, more tools, cabinetry... All floating. The car, a 2001 Nissan Maxima, has received a lot of damage. The car is under water, and it has come up and above the brake and gas pedals. Wife is in tears and I have no idea what to say to her.

Yes, there's insurance, so we should be covered for all the damage. Yes, although I'm not currently living there, I'm still very much a part of things. I have an obvious monetary interest, as my belongings are there and my name is still on the deed. But more importantly, because I still know that's my 'home', that's where my wife and son must live, and I won't consider it anything less than 'our home'. All of my love is still there.

I was going to take pictures but didn't have my camera with me, and it's a bit sad to look at. :(

DAmn that sucks---having been to Binghamton, I have an idea of what you are going through but cant' imagine seeing all my important things destroyed. So sorry this shit is happening to you.

jimnyc said:

Sorry to hear that...I sincerely hope it works out ok.

That totally sucks. I've been through a few basement floods myself. The last one destroyed all my books that I had saved since childhood. :cry:

Said1 said:
That totally sucks. I've been through a few basement floods myself. The last one destroyed all my books that I had saved since childhood. :cry:
Same here. Lost a lot of stuff from my grade school & high school days....

Sorry to hear it Jim.

My grandma just went through an "inland hurricane" in St Louis, MO. SHe said there are limbs down all over the place, and they aren't just limbs, they're like half a tree. Of course, the tree removal businesses are "just so busy," and she is so bored, since they have been without electricity for a few days. So she is clearing her driveway and yard herself. Hard to dissuade her by phone; I'm praying she doesn't hurt herself.

Floods suck. I had one in 84, destroyed all my early pics, and hand made ornaments. Nothing that could put $$ value on.

In 94, another, 3 feet in basement. I had the 'rider.' Got a check for 10k, the damage was more. Lots more pics, dining room set, furniture. Yeah there were toys, but the thing about clothes or toys, they would be outworn or grown out of. It's more the memories thing, which no amount of $$$ can replace.

Forum List

Back