Storm Chasers: What The Hell Are They Doing?

TruthSeeker56

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2011
New Hampshire
I don't know if this is the right "forum" for this topic, but I would certainly categorize "storm chasers" as a "current event" topic.

Anyway, I have a BIG problem with these tornado "cowboys" who drive around areas of the midwest and great plains, chasing down tornadoes, storm cells, hail storms, etc.

Granted, there are SERIOUS meteorologists who follow weather patterns on-the-ground and videotape storm cells and tornadoes for research purposes, but it seems to me as though MOST of these "storm chasers" are nothing more than THRILL-SEEKERS, ADRENALIN JUNKIES, YouTube superstar wannabes, and papparazzi-types looking to make money off of their tornado videos.

To see these losers driving around in their SUVs and modified trucks, shooting videos of tornadoes and storm cells, yelling and screaming and cheering like they are at a sporting event, and gleefully shouting and hooting when homes and barns and other buildings are blown apart by tornadoes, is SICKENING. The only thing MORE sickening are the people who actually take PAYING CUSTOMERS on storm-chasing "expeditions"!

What is WRONG with these people? How are any of these untrained idiots doing ANYTHING constructive? How are they advancing scientific research by acting like a bunch of drunk sports fans at a bar?

Most of these people don't seem to give a damn that there are PEOPLE and PETS and other animals being injured and killed, PROPERTY that is being destroyed, livelihoods being altered, and destruction and despair beyond anything most people should ever have to experience.

Imagine the "attitude adjustment" these "storm-chasers" would have if it were THEIR homes and THEIR property and THEIR livelihoods (assuming any of them have REAL jobs) and THEIR lives that were destroyed or changed, because of the tornadoes they so gleefully chase after.

I don't know if this is the right "forum" for this topic, but I would certainly categorize "storm chasers" as a "current event" topic.

Anyway, I have a BIG problem with these tornado "cowboys" who drive around areas of the midwest and great plains, chasing down tornadoes, storm cells, hail storms, etc.

Granted, there are SERIOUS meteorologists who follow weather patterns on-the-ground and videotape storm cells and tornadoes for research purposes, but it seems to me as though MOST of these "storm chasers" are nothing more than THRILL-SEEKERS, ADRENALIN JUNKIES, YouTube superstar wannabes, and papparazzi-types looking to make money off of their tornado videos.

To see these losers driving around in their SUVs and modified trucks, shooting videos of tornadoes and storm cells, yelling and screaming and cheering like they are at a sporting event, and gleefully shouting and hooting when homes and barns and other buildings are blown apart by tornadoes, is SICKENING. The only thing MORE sickening are the people who actually take PAYING CUSTOMERS on storm-chasing "expeditions"!

What is WRONG with these people? How are any of these untrained idiots doing ANYTHING constructive? How are they advancing scientific research by acting like a bunch of drunk sports fans at a bar?

Most of these people don't seem to give a damn that there are PEOPLE and PETS and other animals being injured and killed, PROPERTY that is being destroyed, livelihoods being altered, and destruction and despair beyond anything most people should ever have to experience.

Imagine the "attitude adjustment" these "storm-chasers" would have if it were THEIR homes and THEIR property and THEIR livelihoods (assuming any of them have REAL jobs) and THEIR lives that were destroyed or changed, because of the tornadoes they so gleefully chase after.

I think you're overreacting a bit. I'm pretty sure most people don't get any joy from watching a house go up.

Why should it bother you when people observe nature? They are not causing tornadoes.

Which ones are you talking about? Every one of the Storm Chasers types shows I have seen on TV all involve people attempting to Gather real Valuable Scientific Research. Yes they Scream and Yell and Get Excited. They are chasing Tornadoes after all it is Intense. But the Motivation is Science. Some of them do sell video of it to help support their Efforts.

I'm sure there are handful of punks that would derive some pleasure from destruction but they probably never saw Joplin MO 1 day after that event either.

So what "research" are these tornado chasers accomplishing? I don't see ANY tangible evidence that what these thrill-seekers are doing has saved ONE life.

Obviously, some of you haven't watched any of these people on TV, hooting and hollering and cheering when they see a huge storm cell, and when they see farms get blown apart, and when they see and hear electrical transformers explode, and when golfball-size hail starts coming down.

Did any of you see the guy who actually CHARGES "sightseers" a fee, and he drives these idiots around looking for storm cells and the tornadoes that are formed?

Yep, it's all "science", just like "global warming" is "science".

I think they might be able to help in knowing how tornados interact, I mean if you're stupid enought to go towards a tornado, god bless you, you'll either have some great stories or you'll be dead.

So what "research" are these tornado chasers accomplishing? I don't see ANY tangible evidence that what these thrill-seekers are doing has saved ONE life.

Obviously, some of you haven't watched any of these people on TV, hooting and hollering and cheering when they see a huge storm cell, and when they see farms get blown apart, and when they see and hear electrical transformers explode, and when golfball-size hail starts coming down.

Did any of you see the guy who actually CHARGES "sightseers" a fee, and he drives these idiots around looking for storm cells and the tornadoes that are formed?

Yep, it's all "science", just like "global warming" is "science".

You can't stop the unstoppable. Are the chasers harming anyone from a traffic point of view? It's a rush seeing something that amazing, believe me. It's horrific and mesmerizing. Kind of like a moth in a headlight. But really, these people aren't cheering about destruction. Some perhaps, but most are just caught up in the moment. I wouldn't let it bother you so much.

Forum List

Back