Stopping confirmation of CIA director

Circe

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2013
Aeaea
CNN today 3/7:

Rand Paul's 13-hour filibuster

The Republican senator wants more answers about U.S. policy on the use of drones and has been trying to stall a confirmation vote of John Brennan for CIA director

I don't see the point of this. The drone target of American citizens abroad that Paul objects to is mainly Allawi, the imam in Yeman who was responsible for many attacks on the USA: from 9/11 to the massacre at Fort Hood by a crazed Muslim he advised on "jihad."

Allawi definitely needed to be blown up.

It seems to me if Bush had done drones, the rightwing would be wildly in favor of it --- they loved Bush's plural forever wars and also torture, which used to be a no-no in the good old days when Americans stood for something BESIDES torture.

So why is the right trying to block Brennan as CIA director based on their objecting to drone attacks in wild places where these jihadists hide? Seems to me something the country really needs for protection against further terrorist attacks.

So now Rand Paul stopped his filibuster and a split has developed openly with both McCain and my favorite senator Lindsey Graham objecting to Paul's position, that we can't drone down these bad expatriate Muslims who are trying to blow us up.

I don't know about this guy Rand Paul ---- he seems to be eaten with ambition, but what does he want, us to let these terrorists just plan our bombings with impunity? Darn.

Rand Paul, and other politicians want to know what prevents drone attacks on people who are not terrorists that might "appear" to be terrorists?

Do we let the president decide who a terrorist is? The constitution says that only congress can declare war and this president is trying to make war on individuals who MAY be terrorists. This president has said that people who study the constitution are terrorists... will they target those who study the constitution? What is to stop them if it is ok to kill one terrorist then why not all terrorists?

Forum List

Back