Stop selling ethanol and see what happens

R

rdean

A study came along this past week from economists at Iowa State University and the University of Wisconsin that found that if ethanol production came to an immediate halt, the estimated gasoline price increase would be what the researcher described as “historic proportions,” ranging from 41 to 92 percent.

That’s roughly $5.50 to $7.50 of gasoline per gallon.

The same research team, in a study sponsored by the Renewable Fuels Association and released by the Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD), found that the increased use of ethanol reduced wholesale gasoline prices by an average of $0.89 per gallon in 2010. The average effect increased to $0.89 per gallon, and the regional impact ranges from $0.58 per gallon on the East Coast to $1.37 per gallon in the Midwest, according to the study’s authors.

Ethanol In Pottersville

Thought this was interesting.

A study came along this past week from economists at Iowa State University and the University of Wisconsin that found that if ethanol production came to an immediate halt, the estimated gasoline price increase would be what the researcher described as “historic proportions,” ranging from 41 to 92 percent.

The same research team, in a study sponsored by the Renewable Fuels Association and released by the Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD), found that the increased use of ethanol reduced wholesale gasoline prices by an average of $0.89 per gallon in 2010. The average effect increased to $0.89 per gallon, and the regional impact ranges from $0.58 per gallon on the East Coast to $1.37 per gallon in the Midwest, according to the study’s authors.

Ethanol In Pottersville

Those democrat scientists were sure smart to figure that one out !:lol:

Ethanol In Pottersville

Hmmmm a study funded by an environmental lobby and corn farmers. Nope, no special interests there. I'm sure it was a completely objective study.

Geez, dean at least be smart enough not to include such a damning peice of information when trying to mislead people.

Chuvved down our trotes I tell ya!

Is this story supposed to enforce the illusion of the importance of ethanol?
Is it a threat?

It's a goddamn cottage industry, sold to America like a huckster pushing snake oil.

Ethanol In Pottersville

Hmmmm a study funded by an environmental lobby and corn farmers. Nope, no special interests there. I'm sure it was a completely objective study.

Geez, dean at least be smart enough not to include such a damning peice of information when trying to mislead people.

Because those two universities are such hotbeds of lying and creative statistics. Unlike the Heritage Foundation.

Ethanol In Pottersville

Because those two universities are such hotbeds of lying and creative statistics. Unlike the Heritage Foundation.

I see, so the Heritage Foundation's bias effects the outcome of studies, but the bias of the above groups don't, huh? Your arguments are getting dumber by the post.

Last edited:
Stop selling ethanol and see what happens
Less gasoline would be burned. Therefore less pollution.

Ethanol makes gasoline more inefficient. You have to use more fuel to get the same work. Therefore you have to burn more, buy more. The perfect scheme. What a boondoggle.

Ethanol In Pottersville

Who wants to stop selling it? We just want to stop supporting big business with corporate welfare. When did you become a Republican and start supporting massive tax breaks for billionaires?

Ethanol In Pottersville

Who wants to stop selling it? We just want to stop supporting big business with corporate welfare. When did you become a Republican and start supporting massive tax breaks for billionaires?

The hypocrisy of the left is amazing. They claim to be all anti corporate america and want to end government favors. But talk about ending farm subsidies or eliminating tariffs and my how the tune changes.

So a university, in a state that grows tons upon tons of corn discovered that we need to keep using corn for fuel.

shocking, no really, there's no chance they looked at the facts the way they were told to, no, no chance they lied or twisted facts around, none at all.

I haven't read the report yet but I know it is true. Here is how to prove it.

In the winter the demand for heating-oil/diesel-fuel is high & gasoline is low. That makes gasoline a bi-product from the barrels of crude oil they refine into heating oil. So the gas price dropped below & heating-oil/diesel-fuel would rise above gasoline every winter.

The exact opposite happened every summer.

In the summer the demand for gasoline is high & heating-oil/diesel-fuel is low. That makes heating-oil/diesel-fuel a bi-product from the barrels of crude oil they refine into gasoline. So the heating-oil/diesel-fuel price dropped below & gasoline would rise above heating-oil/diesel-fuel every winter.

Before the big rise in Ethanol production this translated into gasoline being at least 25% higher than diesel-fuel at the pump in the summer & diesel-fuel costing at least 25% more than gasoline in the winter.

Now in the past 3 years gasoline prices never even get as high as diesel-fuel even in the summer. At current prices that means Ethanol is holding Gasoline prices at the pump down by at least a $1 a gallon.

I have been burning E85 Ethanol for about 10 years & I love it. last time I filled up gas was $3.99 & E85 was $3.05 & people were waiting in line at the E85 pump. That is definitely holding down gasoline prices & lower gas prices creates jobs in this country. The ethanol industry also creates jobs in this country. U.S. ethanol production will eliminate the need for more than 212 million barrels of imported crude oil worth $21 billion in 2011. That is a real genuine stimulus plan if there ever was one.

Hmmm, Ethanol is holding gasoline prices at the pump over a dollar a gallon & E85 ethanol cost almost a dollar less than the lowered gasoline price. That means E85 ethanol is $2 a gallon less than if we had no ethanol & all had to use expensive gas. It is a no brainer, I would definitely use ethanol that gets a few percent lower mileage if it save $2 a gallon. Not only am I saving my self $2 a gallon but I am also saving you a dollar a gallon by lowering gasoline demand thereby lowering your cost by at least a buck a gallon. You should pay me for saving you money.

Gasoline in Canada is already well over $5 a gallon. They are just now starting to get on the ethanol bandwagon. This year they will have 1,000 gas stations selling E10 gasoline. Soon their gasoline prices will drop to be more in line with ours if they continue to increase their use of ethanol.

Last edited:

Hmmm, Ethanol is holding gasoline prices at the pump over a dollar a gallon & E85 ethanol cost almost a dollar less than the lowered gasoline price. That means E85 ethanol is $2 a gallon less than if we had no ethanol & all had to use expensive gas. It is a no brainer, I would definitely use ethanol that gets a few percent lower mileage if it save $2 a gallon. Not only am I saving my self $2 a gallon but I am also saving you a dollar a gallon by lowering gasoline demand thereby lowering your cost by at least a buck a gallon. You should pay me for saving you money.

Gasoline in Canada is already well over $5 a gallon. They are just now starting to get on the ethanol bandwagon. This year they will have 1,000 gas stations selling E10 gasoline. Soon their gasoline prices will drop to be more in line with ours if they continue to increase their use of ethanol.

What makes you think ethanol keeps the price of gasoline down? The only reason ethanol even exists is because the government subsidizes it. that means that every federal taxpayer is paying gasoline taxes even if they do not drive.

What makes you think ethanol keeps the price of gasoline down? The only reason ethanol even exists is because the government subsidizes it. that means that every federal taxpayer is paying gasoline taxes even if they do not drive.

Ethanol is a lose for environment; at the pump; and at the food stand. Lose/lose proposition for everyone other than those subsidized, especially the big corn producers and their favorite politicians.

I have been burning E85 Ethanol for about 10 years & I love it. last time I filled up gas was $3.99 & E85 was $3.05 & people were waiting in line at the E85 pump. That is definitely holding down gasoline prices & lower gas prices creates jobs in this country. The ethanol industry also creates jobs in this country. U.S. ethanol production will eliminate the need for more than 212 million barrels of imported crude oil worth $21 billion in 2011. That is a real genuine stimulus plan if there ever was one.

Then what you love is subsidizing because that is the only way ethanol can cost what it costs. If ethanol actuallyg had to compete in a free market it either would not exist because farmers couldn't make money on how little they would have to charge for it or it would cost more that gas and no one would buy it.

Forum List

Back