Stop mercury pollution now

I guess you never heard of the great fly ash holding site washing out into the TN watershed a few years ago?

Last year, it died in a state committee.

And in Washington, D.C., congressmen left a hearing room en masse, leaving just two colleagues behind.

But now it might have some staying power.

A major disaster late last year in Tennessee has given fly-ash legislation traction in the General Assembly and caught Congress' attention as well.

State lawmakers previously have balked at regulating fly ash, a gray byproduct from coal power plants that became a concern locally in 2006, when it was revealed that the substance was contaminating groundwater in Gambrills.

A bill proposed last year by Del. Tony McConkey, R-Severna Park, would have required fly-ash pits to have liners and covers. It died in committee.

And in September, the first fly-ash hearing in a House of Representatives committee in at least a decade was attended by few congressmen. Of those who did attend, many quickly left, putting a freshman legislator in the chairman's seat at one point.

But this time a new bill follows a catastrophe that has transformed fly ash - which looks and feels like dirt - into something more emotional, flashy and politically relevant.

On Dec. 22 in Tennessee, a 40-acre holding pond filled with fly-ash slurry burst, sending more than a billion gallons of waste into the surrounding area. It covered more than 300 acres, destroyed homes and polluted a river. The disaster, which occurred in Kingston, a town 30 miles west of Knoxville, was front-page news across the country.

Two weeks after the disaster, the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works held a hearing on it and Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., urged federal regulation of fly ash.

"We need to have standards in place to make certain that coal ash is managed and disposed of properly," she said.

Fly-ash legislation propelled by Tennessee disaster • Environment (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

The TVA Kingston Fossil Plant coal fly ash slurry spill occurred just before 1 a.m. on Monday December 22, 2008, when an ash dike ruptured at an 84-acre (0.34 km2) solid waste containment area at the Tennessee Valley Authority's Kingston Fossil Plant in Roane County, Tennessee, USA. 1.1 billion US gallons (4,200,000 m3) of coal fly ash slurry was released. The coal-fired power plant, located across the Clinch River from the city of Kingston, uses ponds to dewater the fly ash, a byproduct of coal combustion, which is then stored in wet form in dredge cells. The slurry (a mixture of fly ash and water) traveled across the Emory River and its Swan Pond embayment, on to the opposite shore, covering up to 300 acres (1.2 km2) of the surrounding land, damaging homes and flowing up and down stream in nearby waterways such as the Emory River and Clinch River (tributaries of the Tennessee River). It was the largest fly ash release in United States history.

The EPA first estimated that the spill would take four to six weeks to clean up; however, Chandra Taylor, the staff attorney for the Southern Environmental Law Center, said the cleanup could take months and possibly years.[5] As of June 2009, six months following the spill, only 3% of the spill had been cleaned and is now estimated to cost between $675 and $975 million to clean, according to the TVA.[6]

On January 1, 2009 the first independent test results, conducted at the Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry laboratories at Appalachian State University, showed significantly elevated levels of toxic metals (including arsenic, copper, barium, cadmium, chromium, lead, mercury, nickel, and thallium) in samples of slurry and river water.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Fossil_Plant_coal_fly_ash_slurry_spill

Last edited:
1997 mercury report to congress if anyone is interested. If you want to search out any level of substances such as mercury or pesticides in the food chain you can type in 'tolerable allowances ------' add whatever your looking for whether it be mercury, pesticide, jet fuels (be specific of the compound in jet fuels, gas or whatever), ect., into the search at the EPA website. The FDA may have this type allowable limits you can search but EPA regulates most of this.

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/oarpg/t3/reports/volume1.pdf

Burning coal is a leading cause of smog, acid rain, global warming, and air toxics. In an average year, a typical coal plant generates:

So what? No one has died from air pollution in a century. Air pollution was never much that much of a health threat in this country. It was mostly just unsightly, and it has been reduced to the point where it is unnoticeable. It definitely isn't a health threat.

170 pounds of mercury, where just 1/70th of a teaspoon deposited on a 25-acre lake can make the fish unsafe to eat.

Horse shit. You can't produce any evidence to support this claim.

225 pounds of arsenic, which will cause cancer in one out of 100 people who drink water containing 50 parts per billion.

More horseshit. This is environmental wacko scare mongering. Arsenic is natural in the environment. The EPA's determination of "safe" levels are beyond ridiculous.

114 pounds of lead, 4 pounds of cadmium, other toxic heavy metals, and trace amounts of uranium.

You get exposed to more radiation just by walking outside in the sunshine for a day.

Last edited:
We should also ban lead. Let's not discriminate between elements. That would not be fair.

Hydrogen should be the next to go.

I guess you never heard of the great fly ash holding site washing out into the TN watershed a few years ago?

Yes, I did. Every time there's an industrial accident, all the Chicken Littles run around squawking that we need some vast new set of regulations to deal with it. The action always comes after the fact and is generally unneeded. If the figures on the cost of the cleanup are accurate, then no power company is going neglect taking measures to prevent such incidents in the future. None of them want to take a $billion hit because of such an accident.

Of course, the figures are probably all hype and all the claims made by the politicians and EPA bureaucrats are a pack of lies. They always are.

Burning coal is a leading cause of smog, acid rain, global warming, and air toxics. In an average year, a typical coal plant generates:

So what? No one has died from air pollution in a century. Air pollution was never much that much of a health threat in this country. It was mostly just unsightly, and it has been reduced to the point where it is unnoticeable. It definitely isn't a health threat.

Horse shit. You can't produce any evidence to support this claim.

225 pounds of arsenic, which will cause cancer in one out of 100 people who drink water containing 50 parts per billion.

More horseshit. This is environmental wacko scare mongering. Arsenic is natural in the environment. The EPA's determination of "safe" levels are beyond ridiculous.

114 pounds of lead, 4 pounds of cadmium, other toxic heavy metals, and trace amounts of uranium.

You get exposed to more radiation just by walking outside in the sunshine for a day.

Are you the guy on another board I used to frequent that told me "a little mercury never hurt anyone"?

Are you the guy on another board I used to frequent that told me "a little mercury never hurt anyone"?

I doubt I ever said that. Perhaps some buy working in a mercury mine may have gotten sick from it.

However, there isn't a shred of evidence than anyone has ever gotten sick from mercury coming from coal fired power plants. That's EPA scare mongering, and nothing more.

I doubt I ever said that. Perhaps some buy working in a mercury mine may have gotten sick from it.

However, there isn't a shred of evidence than anyone has ever gotten sick from mercury coming from coal fired power plants. That's EPA scare mongering, and nothing more.

LMAO, you do still sound like the same guy.

Mad as a hatter I say.

Mad as a hatter I say.

He has as much an ideological axe to grind as uncensored2008. They'd rather yell than back up their claims as if that gives more credence to their for-profit, blatherings. Interestingly, BOTH are conservative :eusa_whistle:

Mad as a hatter I say.

In other words, you don't have a single hard fact to support your imbecile claims.

He has as much an ideological axe to grind as uncensored2008. They'd rather yell than back up their claims as if that gives more credence to their for-profit, blatherings. Interestingly, BOTH are conservative :eusa_whistle:

When have any of you environmental whack jobs ever backed up any of your claims?

Mad as a hatter I say.

Provide the evidence then.

Does some obscure liberal printing house provide you guys with great long lists of things to be afraid of? When one of your scares turns out to be just so much hot air, do you simply pick the next thing on the list or is there some document passed out so that you can all coordinate your baseless panic?

"No one has died from air pollution in a century" has to be one of the most ignorants statements ever posted on these boards. :eek:

World Health Experts Warn Air Pollution Kills Two Million a Year

UK air pollution causes 50,000 early deaths a year, say MPs
UK air pollution causes 50,000 early deaths a year, say MPs | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Air Pollution Blamed for 3% of Deaths in the United States
Medscape: Medscape Access

"No one has died from air pollution in a century" has to be one of the most ignorants statements ever posted on these boards. :eek:

UK air pollution causes 50,000 early deaths a year, say MPs
UK air pollution causes 50,000 early deaths a year, say MPs | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Air Pollution Blamed for 3% of Deaths in the United States
Medscape: Medscape Access

Care to provide evidence that mercury caused the deaths? Wanna prove any of the claims made about mercury in this thread? Wanna explain how we have had coal plants for what? Over 100 years and yet NOW it is a problem?

Forum List

Back