Stop! Does anybody still believe in free press?

suplex3000

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2014
Georgia
Well, look at those pumping out Genetically Modified, MSM-WH Compliant News -- crickets:

ABC News executive producer Ian Cameron is married to Susan Rice, National Security Adviser.

CBS President David Rhodes is the brother of Ben Rhodes, Obama’s Deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications.

ABC News correspondent Claire Shipman is married to former Whitehouse Press Secretary Jay Carney.

ABC News and Univision reporter Matthew Jaffe is married to Katie Hogan, Obama’s Deputy Press Secretary.

ABC President Ben Sherwood is the brother of Obama’s Special Adviser Elizabeth Sherwood.

CNN President Virginia Moseley is married to former Hillary Clinton’s Deputy Secretary Tom Nides

NBC General Counsel Kimberley D. Harris served as White House Deputy Counsel and Deputy Assistant to the President.

I was going to make my own thread on the topic of western news corporate news oligopolies being heavily influenced by governmental interests but I think this is a good place to have the discussion.

I think that the media plays an important role in this complex web between corporations and government. Basically you have two factions - political organizations vying for power/relevancy (democratic/republican party) and big businesses vying for several possible domestic/global desires. The media is like the referee that makes sure that the commoners (citizens) don't get in the way of the game. Fox News, CNN, etc keep us pinned down as to not interfere.

What I want to know however is how do we break out of this state of control? Clearly anyone can report news and put it on a website, make their own "news business" etc. But how do we usurp the power and influence of the mainstream news oligopoly? Is it a fundamentally flawed idea to have hope that an independent, non-"referee" news faction can become mainstream? What different challenges are there that need to be overcome before this can happen?

anybody that believes that we have a non biased free press in western civilization needs to have their head examined.

Until a few years ago my local paper was owned by Knight-Ritter. I didn't know how rare it was to have a daily paper that actually reported the news.

It was puzzling to me that folks I talked to had weird ideas of what was going on in the Mideast and seemed to be buying into the "Fox" view of things.

Then the share holders cashed out and Knight-Ritter went belly up and a local scab news group bought my local paper.

Now it's filled with little more than press releases and anti-union rhetoric. No real news.

This is now normal. I would call this the Disinformation Age.

Well, look at those pumping out Genetically Modified, MSM-WH Compliant News -- crickets:

ABC News executive producer Ian Cameron is married to Susan Rice, National Security Adviser.

CBS President David Rhodes is the brother of Ben Rhodes, Obama’s Deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications.

ABC News correspondent Claire Shipman is married to former Whitehouse Press Secretary Jay Carney.

ABC News and Univision reporter Matthew Jaffe is married to Katie Hogan, Obama’s Deputy Press Secretary.

ABC President Ben Sherwood is the brother of Obama’s Special Adviser Elizabeth Sherwood.

CNN President Virginia Moseley is married to former Hillary Clinton’s Deputy Secretary Tom Nides

NBC General Counsel Kimberley D. Harris served as White House Deputy Counsel and Deputy Assistant to the President.

Out of tens of thousands of news folks, There are seven? WOW!

Can you list the stories written by the above and show how their relationships have influenced their reporting?

Until a few years ago my local paper was owned by Knight-Ritter. I didn't know how rare it was to have a daily paper that actually reported the news.

It was puzzling to me that folks I talked to had weird ideas of what was going on in the Mideast and seemed to be buying into the "Fox" view of things.

Then the share holders cashed out and Knight-Ritter went belly up and a local scab news group bought my local paper.

Now it's filled with little more than press releases and anti-union rhetoric. No real news.

The answer is; Are people reading newspapers?

Good question.

I am concerned about the apparent "dumbing down" of the American public. Where are people getting information?

TV news isn't news as much as opinion. The papers have become propaganda organs for the corporate establishment. The internet seems to be a place where people can find sites that reinforce their preconceptions.

Apparently, no. The only people buying them are folks that need them to line the bottom of bird cages. :biggrin:

Sunday_circulation.jpg

Good question.

I am concerned about the apparent "dumbing down" of the American public. Where are people getting information?

TV news isn't news as much as opinion. The papers have become propaganda organs for the corporate establishment. The internet seems to be a place where people can find sites that reinforce their preconceptions.

Right opinion. Yes?

There is no news in the USA, tell me what happened in Brazil in the last 2 months, hint green energy failed, riots, massive pollution where the olympics will be held, highest murder rate in the world, a literal war between drug gangs and the citizens, with the passive citizens losing.

There is no news in the USA, tell me what happened in Brazil in the last 2 months, hint green energy failed, riots, massive pollution where the olympics will be held, highest murder rate in the world, a literal war between drug gangs and the citizens, with the passive citizens losing.

Is Brazil a third world country? If Republicans have there way the news you reported could be news in the US.

In the unseasonably warm southwest (where the storms that are killing the rest of the country originated) my solar panels are making energy at an alarming pace (mo' money for me!) I'm heading back to Vegas for the weekend, 80+ degree's and it's not officially spring yet.

Is Brazil a third world country? If Republicans have there way the news you reported could be news in the US.

In the unseasonably warm southwest (where the storms that are killing the rest of the country originated) my solar panels are making energy at an alarming pace (mo' money for me!) I'm heading back to Vegas for the weekend, 80+ degree's and it's not officially spring yet.
Yes, Brazil is the third world, I live in the southwest, where for the entire winter, it was colder than normal. As Democrats have had their way forever in the USA, we are well on our way to be as week as any third world country, it begins with energy, which the Democrats have destroyed, your solar panels are part of that destruction.

But, I am sure China thanks you for your support.

You are completely right. These 'news', TV channels like FOX and MSNBC are made for brainwashing. I can't watch this shit cause it makes me angry.

You are completely right. These 'news', TV channels like FOX and MSNBC are made for brainwashing. I can't watch this shit cause it makes me angry.
Very true, one is made to appease "republicans", the other "democrats". Neither begin to touch the news.

Yes, Brazil is the third world, I live in the southwest, where for the entire winter, it was colder than normal. As Democrats have had their way forever in the USA, we are well on our way to be as week as any third world country, it begins with energy, which the Democrats have destroyed, your solar panels are part of that destruction.

But, I am sure China thanks you for your support.

Winter Sets Global Heat Record Despite US East s Big Chill - NBC News

We'll have 90's this weekend in Vegas. It's March. :-(

Media Metropolis

There's a rather handsome array of provocative imagery from American films and other culture dominions about self-image fantasia. This trend was begun perhaps with the release of Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" (1960).

These images seem to suggest that modern media is invested in providing access to psychologized images.

:afro:

WikiLeaks (Wikipedia)

poster1.jpg

poster2.jpg

poster3.jpg

Yeah, the liberal media is inbred with the liberal establishment but the 1st Amendment still guarantees freedom of the press. Maybe that's why the Hussein administration is pushing for the ironically named "fairness doctrine" law that would get around the 1st Amendment and, among other things, hush Rush.

Forum List

Back