Stonewall Jackson: is it "OK" to recognize his birthday?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
.... born this day in 1824.

Is my favorite historical figure from the South.

Why not, if it is important to people or communities?

The renaming of Robert E. Lee elementary in Austin is taking place and causing some discussion.

It was tongue in cheek mostly. I think it's a bit silly - like Bruce says, really study the people and all sides.... don't want to get into the "thin skinned" vs. "offensive" debate... but I guess it's hard not to....

If a community wants to keep or replace a name, it should be determined locally, imo.

The man was a double-dealing back-stabbing liar. He caused the arrest of Chief Osceola under a flag of truce. He was the cause of many Native American deaths.

I have no problems with it.

I'd be unhappy if someone wanted to celebrate Nathan Bedford Forrests birthday.

Hubby is the history (Civil War) buff. I just like everything I have read about Stonewall, but don't claim to know everything about the man! :)

The man was a double-dealing back-stabbing liar. He caused the arrest of Chief Osceola under a flag of truce. He was the cause of many Native American deaths.

Perhaps you are referring to Andrew Jackson?

Yes, Andrew Jackson. Stonewall was a good guy. Andrew Jackson along with Davey Crockett was responsible for the deaths of many Native Americans with their Relocation Act.

He also distinguished himself in the Mexican-American War. Some good stories there too.
Photo-2_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg

You almost gotta laugh that almost everything in Lexington Va. is named Stonewall something or other including the hospital and the cemetery and most of Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was buried in Lexington (minus his arm). The problem is that Lexington is a college town and academia is notoriously liberal. While Lexington depends on tourist dollars mostly associated with the Civil War and Stonewall Jackson as well as Robert E. Lee the current liberal politicians have decided that flying the Confederate flag is banned within the city limits.

The names should evoke some respect, but people have misused the names by doing some dastardly deeds using their names in the post Civil War period,

Forum List

Back