stones in glass houses

Originally posted by eric
Smart move, the saturated fats will kill you !

Your right we do, and we wanted something in this case. Tell me though what did the French stand to gain by blocking us?

Why not just let us persue what we felt we needed to do ?

This is my real problem.

Economically, the French stood to gain or lose a few Iraqi contracts. I'm sure we could have bribed them, and it would have been worth billions in contracts to do so.

But then there's that sticky problem of the public will in a democracy. In the long term it may have been political suicide for Chirac to support the resolution because polls showed that over 80% of the French opposed the impending war. Isn't democracy inconvenient sometimes? Then there's the fact that they didn't believe our intelligence on WMDs, because it contradicted their own, which turned out to be accurate.

Now I have a craving for wine and fries and all I have is taco chips and beer. Oh well, that's what you get coming to chat boards.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
or what did they stand to lose by NOT blocking us?

If the US can look out for its interests, so can the french.

Absolutely, then they shouldn't whine like bitches when people call them on their decisions (ex.. this thread)

Originally posted by eric
Nothing but money ! Just like the French, thanks for the reply !

Money and voters. Don't forget that France is a democracy, and democracy does not = pro-American.

Your absolutely right ! Maybe if they study us closely, though, they too could actually be taken seriously in the world.

:clap:

Lets be honest here. The French are simply trying to maintain their status as a world power, long after such a title is appropriate.

Originally posted by Batamo
:clap:
Lets be honest here. The French are simply trying to maintain their status as a world power, long after such a title is appropriate.
Isn't that what they should be doing? They are the government of France, after all? The French/German/Russian triangle in the EU is interesting. They appear to be forming a coalition of interest to aggressively combat US economic supremecy. The dollar hit a new low against the Euro, so I'd prefer to wait before arguing thier status as a world power, they might just be on the rise...

Forum List

Back