Stolen Valor Act

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
Last edited:
Federal court says Stolen Valor Act violates First Amendment, I say that this is overruled on appeal. However if it is not then I will work towards a constitutional amendment if that's what it takes.

Hot Air Federal court says Stolen Valor Act violates First Amendment

Stolen Valor Act Takes Hit - Video - FoxNews.com

I will join you in that quest brother. I earned my meager collection of ribbons and awards and only a low life would attempt to steal that from me, or any of the other thousands of current and former personnel out there.

Personally, I think the punishment should fit the crime. You lie about being in the Army, you get sentenced to the Army.

So would impersonating an officer be legal??? Where do you draw the line?

There is an actual statute against that I believe.

what if lied about being an officer in the military? Is that protected?

I honestly don't know now. Prior to this ruling that would have been against the law under Stolen Valor. I know it is against the UCMJ to impersonate an Officer or NCO, but most of us do not fall under the UCMJ. Used to.........

Federal court says Stolen Valor Act violates First Amendment, I say that this is overruled on appeal. However if it is not then I will work towards a constitutional amendment if that's what it takes.

Federal court says Stolen Valor Act violates First Amendment « Hot Air

Stolen Valor Act Takes Hit

Though we rarely agree Ollie, you can be sure as hell we agree here.

This is a fucking travesty.

I guess they figured with all the Bru-haha over the health care thing, people wouldn't notice this.

I guess I'll pee in the pool.

I truly don't see an issue with PX Rangers other than their own lies eventually catching up to them. I do see an issue with a PX Ranger lying in order to get veterans' benefits from the government. On the one hand, you have a liar who basically isn't harming anyone other than his own sense of honor. On the other hand, you have someone who is attempting to gain financial, medical or other similar benefits under false pretenses, which is already defined as a criminal act.

If the gist of the Supreme Court's decision is that people have the right to be stupid, then it's a good decision. Otherwise, this can get out of hand any time anyone tells a war story.

Don't get me wrong: I think anyone who tries to pass himself off as a combat vet without having paid his dues is lower than whale dung. But it seems to me that passing a law to criminalize that act will probably end up as one of those well-intentioned but dumb law that gets out of hand. It's these types of laws that result in little old ladies being harassed because they had the audacity to display the US flag on their front porch or in little kids being sent home because they sang the National Anthem. I think the Stolen Valor Act falls under the category of "be careful what you ask for...you just might get it."

We have enough laws already. Those who lie about having been there-done that eventually get found out, and whether they admit it or not, eventually end up hiding under a cloud of shame that eats away at them.

Federal court says Stolen Valor Act violates First Amendment « Hot Air

Stolen Valor Act Takes Hit

Unfortunately, being a liar seems to be protected under the First Amendment.

Dont forget the Florida case Jane Akres brought against FoxNews. If the Stolen Valor act is constitutional, then Fox would be in a world of hurt as well.

To pass yourself off as a wounded vet is douchebaggery in the first degree, but as long as they arent seeking benefits from the government, not illegal, and protected by the 1st amendment...sucks but fact.

Last edited:

I truly don't see an issue with PX Rangers other than their own lies eventually catching up to them. I do see an issue with a PX Ranger lying in order to get veterans' benefits from the government. On the one hand, you have a liar who basically isn't harming anyone other than his own sense of honor. On the other hand, you have someone who is attempting to gain financial, medical or other similar benefits under false pretenses, which is already defined as a criminal act.

If the gist of the Supreme Court's decision is that people have the right to be stupid, then it's a good decision. Otherwise, this can get out of hand any time anyone tells a war story.

Don't get me wrong: I think anyone who tries to pass himself off as a combat vet without having paid his dues is lower than whale dung. But it seems to me that passing a law to criminalize that act will probably end up as one of those well-intentioned but dumb law that gets out of hand. It's these types of laws that result in little old ladies being harassed because they had the audacity to display the US flag on their front porch or in little kids being sent home because they sang the National Anthem. I think the Stolen Valor Act falls under the category of "be careful what you ask for...you just might get it."

We have enough laws already. Those who lie about having been there-done that eventually get found out, and whether they admit it or not, eventually end up hiding under a cloud of shame that eats away at them.

That's pretty much my opinion on it. Nobody hates Stolen Valor more than I do and I think you'd have to be the lowest form of pond scum to commit SV, but the precedent that it sets and the potential for abuse is what concerns me.

Telling a lie may make you a shitty person, but that shouldn't necessarily make you a criminal unless telling the lie gets you some money. Then that's fraud.

stolenvalor.jpg
[/IG]

Last edited:

That's pretty much my opinion on it. Nobody hates Stolen Valor more than I do and I think you'd have to be the lowest form of pond scum to commit SV, but the precedent that it sets and the potential for abuse is what concerns me.

Telling a lie may make you a shitty person, but that shouldn't necessarily make you a criminal unless telling the lie gets you some money. Then that's fraud.

And fraud is already a crime, so this is just unnecessary beauracracy.

Enforce the law we have. We don't need new ones.

I agree with the judge. Who is being harmed? And otherwise doesn't the first amendment protect such claims? If you uphold that law, next thing you know, the govt. is prosecuting for any alleged lie. I'm sorry, but I have no such trust in the govt. to give them that power.

Well, while the case that sparked this was DESPICABLE...I have to say I agree with Thomas Jefferson when he said, "I prefer the inconvenience of to much liberty to the tyranny of too little of it."

The thing is, it is STILL illegal to lie about earning medals or service for financial gain or to do harm. It's a lot like slander laws. So it's not like you can just go to a pawn shop, buy a purple heart and get elected to Congress...oh, wait. Maybe you can? ;~)

Someone who lies about his military record is a liar and a jerk....he is not a criminal

If the govt started prosecuting for lies much of the media would ve shut down and all politicians would say nothing.

Forum List

Back