Stocks surge on optimism over economy

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
NEW YORK - The stock market is extending its summer rally as August brings more upbeat economic data.

Reports on manufacturing and housing sent stocks soaring Monday, hurling the Standard & Poor’s 500 index past 1,000 for the first time since early November. All the major indexes rose more than 1 percent.

The Institute for Supply Management said that while manufacturing activity slowed during July, it did so at the slowest pace in nearly a year. The private trade group said its manufacturing index rose to a better-than-expected 48.9 from 44.8 in June. A reading above 50 indicates growth.

The exchange has been open for less then 3 hours, when did things 'soar' exactly?
Did you even bother to read the quoted part from the AP story? Is it true that they can't fix "stupid" in people?

Stocks surge on optimism over economy

If you're that excited and full of optimisn, why don't you take every dime you can get your hands on and run down to your local stock broker and load up on this boom in the economy? Put your money where your mouth is.

Is it true that they can't fix "stupid" in people?
In your case, yes.

Back to the real world, when the bell sounds and stocks are way up, you can say its a surge.

The market has a lot of hours of trading till then, to claim its soaring when the opening bell is less then three hours ago is the definition of imbecilic, something of which everyone can see you are an expert in.

The S&P broke 1000 and quickly fell back under.

There is a ton of resistance at 1000 for the S&P and 2000 for the NASDAQ.

When that resistance is broken and sustained, there will be something significant to mention.

Back to the real world, when the bell sounds and stocks are way up, you can say its a surge.
So, what do you call the immediate upward trend after the opening bell sounds? Pre-surge? Besides, I thought you cons liked the word "surge"?

So, what do you call the immediate upward trend after the opening bell sounds? Pre-surge? Besides, I thought you cons liked the word "surge"?
You are off to a REALLY bad start here.

First off, stop trying to label or pegeon hole.

I am not a 'con.'

I am not a 'lib'.

Your double entandra attempt was aimed at possibly the worst person to try it on, ask any regular here my opinion of the Iraq war, Afgahnistan or Bush or the GoP for that matter. Once you have done that, if yoiu have a lick of sense you will feel intense embarrissment for saying that to me.

I am Xenophon, I support what i wish to support, not the simpleminded labels that you wish to place on people.

This isn't 'MSNBC' and nobody here worships idiots such as Oberman or his opposite Oreily.

If you want to rise above the level of assclown (where you currently reside) you'd best drop the intense partisanship and start talking to us all as the individuals we are.

You will find that ideolouges on this board rapidly become unpoplar jokes.

And lastly, learn the players.

I don't want to see a short term surge, I want to see a long term trend....I'm talking around an 18 month trend. I feel that this economy is being bloated because of the government money being thrown into it. I want to see some long term profits and lower P/E's before I get back in. just sayin...

PS....if your stock picks are anything like your posts Yanky, I doubt your up 18.1% since obama has been in the White House.

Last edited:
The S&P broke 1000 and quickly fell back under.

There is a ton of resistance at 1000 for the S&P and 2000 for the NASDAQ.

When that resistance is broken and sustained, there will be something significant to mention.

Yes, and don't forget to keep an eye on the volumes. Summer months are typically lighter on volume, so we need to see these prices sustained with volumes comparable to the last time these prices were seen. If resistance is broken, but the volume is not there, I would be very wary. :cool:

Once you have done that, if yoiu have a lick of sense you will feel intense embarrissment for saying that to me.
OK genius....but you will first have to tell me WTF "embarrissment" is.....

Forum List

Back