Stocks post best September in 71 years

After giving careful thought, none of the tax cuts should be extended. Those of us in the working middle class that are still fully employed can afford the increase more than we can afford the continued increase in deficits. Those making more than $250K a year can afford the extra taxes even better. And the very wealthy should be paying more, in any case.

Worst logic ever.

How about we just cut spending? Why is that never an option unless a Republican is in charge? What happened to all that money we would save if we just "stopped the wars?" Oh that's right 4 years after people voted the Dem congress in we are still talking about the possibility of a third war...

Quite a bizarre comment.

A large number of Americans of all income levels own stocks.

She is just repeating what the Democrats said when ever the market did well under Bush.

Is "down" well?

When Bush left office, the Dow was at 6,000, that's 5,000 BELOW when he took office. That's just a fact. Now, it's over 10,000.

And as we all know Bush was in office for 1 year, maybe 2... Holy shit rdean.

She is just repeating what the Democrats said when ever the market did well under Bush.

Is "down" well?

When Bush left office, the Dow was at 6,000, that's 5,000 BELOW when he took office. That's just a fact. Now, it's over 10,000.

Bush led us to two useless wars that doubled the National Debt.

Now Obama wants a return to fiscal responsibility by raising taxes on the rich.

The Republicans are the party of tax cut and spend.

As I posted above, here we have a liberal that 1 day hates wars, "evil Republican and their wars..." The next day we see that same liberal un able to even remember if we are currently even at war.

Bush might have started the wars but the Dems sure didn't seem to mide funding them for four years, even when the president was a Democrat... for the last 2.

And btw, like o m g z ... Like, you do realize that Obama has spent WAY more than Bush (in a givin 2 years) than Bush right? Oh and here is the best part, he tells us all he "cut taxes" while he did it... So here again we will see you call Republicans bad for "cutting taxes" and spending and then turn around and call Obama fiscal responsible when he himself cliams to be doing the SAME THING?

Last edited:
Bush led us to two useless wars that doubled the National Debt.

Now Obama wants a return to fiscal responsibility by raising taxes on the rich.

The Republicans are the party of tax cut and spend.

Chris, you don't return to fiscal responsibility by tripling the amount of money you borrow and then purposely pulling money away from hard working people. You return to fiscal responsibility but cutting the spending.

Is "down" well?

You are, as usual, factually incorrect. The DJIA closed at 8281.22 on January 16th, 2009 the last trading day of Bush's term.

Oh yea, THE EXACT DAY. Well, the truth is, it closed on March 6th 2009 at 6626. When Bush took office it was at 11,000.

So I was off by a few days.

as of this moment, it's:

+46.47 (0.43%)
Real-time: 2:44PM EDT

I love you guys. If it's not the EXACT second, it must be a lie.

What ever happened to that 2.4 trillion dollar tax cut? Oh that's right. Republicans needed it so corporations could move jobs to China. Try telling me THAT didn't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is "down" well?

You are, as usual, factually incorrect. The DJIA closed at 8281.22 on January 16th, 2009 the last trading day of Bush's term.

Oh yea, THE EXACT DAY. Well, the truth is, it closed on March 6th 2009 at 6626. When Bush took office it was at 11,000.

as of this moment, it's:

+46.47 (0.43%)

What ever happened to that 2.4 trillion dollar tax cut? Oh that's right. Republicans needed it so corporations could move jobs to China. Try telling me THAT didn't happen.

Not many presidents are in the Calvin Coolidge club, but Bush 1 and Bush 2 have the distinction of a lower market leaving office than when they entered it.

How did the stock market do under Bush?

Oh yea......It lost 20% over eight years. A fine example of GOP growth

Is "down" well?

as of this moment, it's:

+46.47 (0.43%)

Facts are facts, even when they do not fit your narrative.

as of this moment, it's:

+46.47 (0.43%)

Care to post some "facts" about how well the stock market did under Bush?

as of this moment, it's:

+46.47 (0.43%)

Why? I do not blame (or credit) Presidents with the price performance of the stock market. It is a free market.

Why? I do not blame (or credit) Presidents with the price performance of the stock market. It is a free market.

Come on man, Policies, or in this case a lack of one. have a very Real effect on stocks.

Charlie is right here

An example is in late 2007 when the market began to tumble from a high of 14,000 pts. Bush gave the typical GOP "it will work itself out" response. As the market continued to tumble and the banks started to fail along with the auto companies, Bush started to struggle with weak, ill targeted responses. That 14,000 dropped to 6600 because of unrestrained panic in the market.

Obama's election brought about a statement that the US Government would stand behind the financial sector. The Government would stand behind the Auto Companies. In a shaky economic environment, the US Government would actually INVEST in the economy.

The market reversed and now stands at 10,800

Yes Zander....a President CAN make a difference

Come on man, Policies, or in this case a lack of one. have a very Real effect on stocks.
The stock market is NOT the economy. Unemployment, wages, GDP growth, and other measures are far better ways to compare economic performance of various administrations.

That being said, if you are going to blame politicians for stock prices (which I think is inane) - Congress passes the budgets and enacts the laws, so they would be more culpable IMHO.

Charlie is right here

An example is in late 2007 when the market began to tumble from a high of 14,000 pts. Bush gave the typical GOP "it will work itself out" response. As the market continued to tumble and the banks started to fail along with the auto companies, Bush started to struggle with weak, ill targeted responses. That 14,000 dropped to 6600 because of unrestrained panic in the market.

Obama's election brought about a statement that the US Government would stand behind the financial sector. The Government would stand behind the Auto Companies. In a shaky economic environment, the US Government would actually INVEST in the economy.

I disagree. I think Stock prices would have recovered anyway - history has shown that to be the case every time. The market does not move up and down in nice steady predictable chunks, it is irrational and highly emotional. There is RISK inherent in the stock market. That RISK is why the returns are historically higher than bonds and other investments. We have periods of irrational exuberance and periods of irrational gloominess. They go hand in hand and that is what creates opportunity. After the Market has fallen to a certain point, investors realized that stock prices had fallen too far and bought them back at bargain prices. It had nothing to do with Obama.

At any rate, it is good to know that when stock prices fall you will blame Obama. Oh wait .........no you won't.

Charlie is right here

I disagree. I think Stock prices would have recovered anyway - history has shown that to be the case every time. The market does not move up and down in nice steady predictable chunks, it is irrational and highly emotional. There is RISK inherent in the stock market. That RISK is why the returns are historically higher than bonds and other investments. We have periods of irrational exuberance and periods of irrational gloominess. They go hand in hand and that is what creates opportunity. After the Market has fallen to a certain point, investors realized that stock prices had fallen too far and bought them back at bargain prices. It had nothing to do with Obama.

At any rate, it is good to know that when stock prices fall you will blame Obama. Oh wait .........no you won't.

History has shown you are full of shit.

Standing by and doing nothing during a panic leads to a complete collapse. If Obama had just "let market forces do what they want" the market wanted to panic...the market wanted the auto companies and banks to collapse...the market wanted to lay off as many employees as it could

Government action prevented a Depression

Charlie is right here

History has shown you are full of shit.

Standing by and doing nothing during a panic leads to a complete collapse. If Obama had just "let market forces do what they want" the market wanted to panic...the market wanted the auto companies and banks to collapse...the market wanted to lay off as many employees as it could

Government action prevented a Depression
Yeah, sure it did. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

Forum List

Back