Stocks: Biggest gains of '09

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
For the people who get all happy when things look bad. oops....

Stocks: Biggest gains of '09

The Dow gains 379 points, Nasdaq surges 7% and S&P 500 rallies 6.4% on Citigroup and possible limit on short selling.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Financial shares led a broader rally Tuesday - with all three major indexes logging their best day this year - after Citigroup cooled some worries about its wellbeing and regulators said they may reinstate a trading rule.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) gained 379 points, or 5.8%, according to early tallies. It was the Dow's biggest one-day point gain since Nov. 24, 2008.

The S&P 500 (SPX) index gained 43 points, or 6.4%. It was the biggest one-day point gain since Dec. 16, 2008.

The Nasdaq composite (COMP) climbed almost 90 points, or 7%. It was the biggest one-day point gain since Nov. 13, 2008.

CNNMoney.com Market Report - Mar. 10, 2009

There is one simple investment rule to live by:

When the Democrats control Congress, get out of the stock market unless you really know what you're doing. Otherwise, your investments could look like this:

$Dow.JPG

on day doesn't make things better. there are still underlining fundamental problems.

hey... i'm just pointing it out for the gloom and doomers ;)

a friend of mine just said "another 365 days of this and things might be back to normal". lol...

it is 1983 all over again......oh joy.....

wasn't that when st. ronnie was president? i thought you guys liked him.

someone had to clean up carter's mess.....so ronnie did his trickle down thing and bkd the soviet union and everything is better......

isn't that pretty much your argument for obama.....but he is going to do government trickle down this time.........obomanomics.....

More great data to prove my point. Thanks Jillain!

If you think that proves your point...

me? I don't pretend to be an expert on the stock market. I'm not big on gambling what I can't afford to lose. I'm funny that way. The market would hate me.

I just pointed out what I did for the benefit of the people with ODS. ;)

More great data to prove my point. Thanks Jillain!

If you think that proves your point...

me? I don't pretend to be an expert on the stock market. I'm not big on gambling what I can't afford to lose. I'm funny that way. The market would hate me.

I just pointed out what I did for the benefit of the people with ODS. ;)

It proves the point perfectly. Thanks again. Here's some more data:

Over the last quarter of a century when the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress, the stock market rose by an average of about 20 percent per year. When the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress, the stock market only rose at an average annual rate of 6.9 percent for the Dow Jones and a tepid 5.1 percent for the Standard and Poor 500.

Taking Stock of the Parties

Forum List

Back