Stockpiling Ammo

This guys wrong on so many counts I dont even know where to start.
He talks in absolutes and tries to compare the wild west to a modern day SHTF scenario.
People didnt live in cities by the millions that totally rely on outside sources for their survival.
Back then you could survive off the land and many people did just that.
Small arms cant go against the military?
Afghanistan and Vietnam says different,IED's,blowing bridges and railways,there are endless ways to stop the flow of supplies to a modern military. Besides,Americans are very unlikely to face a military force of a foreign nation,and the idea that American forces are going to shoot their friends,family and neighbors is complete bullshit.

Yer gonna get a beatin.

HA!

Probably not. Small guerilla tactics work great against a superior force. Unless you expect armed civilians to meet the foreign forces in pitched battles.

A quick Google search showed that there are 12.7 million hunters in the US. If half of them hunt some sort of bigger game, that puts over 6 million snipers in the field.

I guess if you want to lose a LOT of lives for a cause.

Give or take 1 million north vietnamese lives lost to less than 60k for the US. 100k or so in Afghanistan to 2500 US in OEF. Bosnia was a few thousand vs. a few dozen. Haiti we lost 1, and they lost a couple hundred. Kosovo we lost 2, they lost 1800. Pakistan 15 vs. 30k. Grenada 19 vs. 115..

I think what you see again and again is the "great" return is that if you can keep replenishing your ranks and live with being killed off at a 10-1 to 40-1 rate, maybe the US will grow tired of killing you in MUCH greater numbers. And remember most of those places... life is a LOT harder than the US. It's not wearing realtree camo to walmart because you think it looks cool. It's hardened people, used to living off the land, growing up in war.

Now I don't see a reason for that to ever happen, but if you have 12.7 million hunters, maybe some are snipers. The overwhelming majority of them are hunters though and have ZERO training in military small arms tactics. Just cause you wear hunt deer and put 100 rounds a weekend through your rifle and sit up in a deer stand a few times a year doesn't mean you are a sniper.

I've seen guys shoot a deer fly @ 200 yards with an HMR. I hate deer flies! :mad:

Deer flies were the ban of my existence when I was a land surveyor many years ago. They are attracted to you when you try to swat them. My brother used to swat at them, then step over close to me and stand very still. It took me a while before I figured out he was "giving" me deer flies.

He talks in absolutes and tries to compare the wild west to a modern day SHTF scenario.
People didnt live in cities by the millions that totally rely on outside sources for their survival.
Afghanistan and Vietnam says different,IED's,blowing bridges and railways,there are endless ways to stop the flow of supplies to a modern military. Besides,Americans are very unlikely to face a military force of a foreign nation,and the idea that American forces are going to shoot their friends,family and neighbors is complete bullshit.

Yer gonna get a beatin.

HA!

Probably not. Small guerilla tactics work great against a superior force. Unless you expect armed civilians to meet the foreign forces in pitched battles.

A quick Google search showed that there are 12.7 million hunters in the US. If half of them hunt some sort of bigger game, that puts over 6 million snipers in the field.

Give or take 1 million north vietnamese lives lost to less than 60k for the US. 100k or so in Afghanistan to 2500 US in OEF. Bosnia was a few thousand vs. a few dozen. Haiti we lost 1, and they lost a couple hundred. Kosovo we lost 2, they lost 1800. Pakistan 15 vs. 30k. Grenada 19 vs. 115..

I think what you see again and again is the "great" return is that if you can keep replenishing your ranks and live with being killed off at a 10-1 to 40-1 rate, maybe the US will grow tired of killing you in MUCH greater numbers. And remember most of those places... life is a LOT harder than the US. It's not wearing realtree camo to walmart because you think it looks cool. It's hardened people, used to living off the land, growing up in war.

Now I don't see a reason for that to ever happen, but if you have 12.7 million hunters, maybe some are snipers. The overwhelming majority of them are hunters though and have ZERO training in military small arms tactics. Just cause you wear hunt deer and put 100 rounds a weekend through your rifle and sit up in a deer stand a few times a year doesn't mean you are a sniper.

Not a trained military sniper. But someone who has spent considerable time concealing themselves from wild animals and is (or should be) capable of making one kill shots out to 250+ yards. No threat to Carlos Hathcock's records, but serviceable nonetheless.

Vs. a deer? Maybe, but I doubt many have hunted anything past 100 yards. Also deer don't wear body armor and do the Baghdad shuffle. or shoot back (usually first).

Like I said, I don't think there'd ever be a reason, but if for some reason a group of people decided to fight the US military, their only chance would be throwing people away and hoping for a war of attrition.

There is also the potential of what is happening in the ME. The fighters hide in the general population. The only way to root them out is to be brutal to the entire population. Quite unpopular.

Yer gonna get a beatin.

HA!

Not a trained military sniper. But someone who has spent considerable time concealing themselves from wild animals and is (or should be) capable of making one kill shots out to 250+ yards. No threat to Carlos Hathcock's records, but serviceable nonetheless.

Vs. a deer? Maybe, but I doubt many have hunted anything past 100 yards. Also deer don't wear body armor and do the Baghdad shuffle. or shoot back (usually first).

Like I said, I don't think there'd ever be a reason, but if for some reason a group of people decided to fight the US military, their only chance would be throwing people away and hoping for a war of attrition.

There is also the potential of what is happening in the ME. The fighters hide in the general population. The only way to root them out is to be brutal to the entire population. Quite unpopular.

There is that, but then that's assuming that those resisting can provide for the masses to keep their support.

But you are describing these wars I've listed where the rate is still very very poor for survivability for those who fight against the US military.

There is that, but then that's assuming that those resisting can provide for the masses to keep their support.

But you are describing these wars I've listed where the rate is still very very poor for survivability for those who fight against the US military.

I think the US population would be very supportive.

I have always maintained that, once the US military is beaten, the population would surrender fairly quickly. At least on the surface. But we are a spoiled, whiny, rebellious population. We would be a nightmare to subdue.

I think the US population would be very supportive.

I have always maintained that, once the US military is beaten, the population would surrender fairly quickly. At least on the surface. But we are a spoiled, whiny, rebellious population. We would be a nightmare to subdue.

I'd like to think that, but we are a really spoiled population. I don't see Americans willing to go back to the stone age, unless it is REALLY worth dying for. We have a LOT to lose.

I recently bought a 1000 round case of 9 x 19mm.

I also have a spam can of x39mm that's lasted awhile.

I can burn thru some ammo when I am at the range often. But I wouldn't be doing that in a SHTF scenario.

And I really like the video shooting down the "Ammo as Barter" part. That never made sense to me.
Exactly after shtf day youre not going to be blowing though it like a fag at a san fran pride parade .
Ive heard all different estimates of what you should keep around

To much is never enough ?IN some bad shtf scenarios you could probably always use some for barter
one never knows do one

Yer gonna get a beatin.

HA!

How'd it work out for the british when they went against a bunch of farmers who knew how to shoot?

Yer gonna get a beatin.

HA!

First of all the US military is not going to fire on US citizens. Second,do you think these guys are going to marching down the street in plane sight?

Yer gonna get a beatin.

HA!

How'd it work out for the british when they went against a bunch of farmers who knew how to shoot?

Again, a war of attrition. And granted that was in an battle where the difference between rifles and the best military weapons was much smaller than today. Remember the colonies were their own army. People raised tough on the land, fighting natives. Not some guy in a deer stand thinking he can shoot US troops.

Yer gonna get a beatin.

HA!

Again, a war of attrition. And granted that was in an battle where the difference between rifles and the best military weapons was much smaller than today. Remember the colonies were their own army. People raised tough on the land, fighting natives. Not some guy in a deer stand thinking he can shoot US troops.

tell it to the VC and Afghanis

Yer gonna get a beatin.

HA!

Whata dumbfuck.
Who in their right mind would shoot from a deer stand?
And do you really believe US troops are going to be firing on their friends and family?
There would be mass desertions if they were ordered to do so.

Yer gonna get a beatin.

HA!

Whata dumbfuck.
Who in their right mind would shoot from a deer stand?
And do you really believe US troops are going to be firing on their friends and family?
There would be mass desertions if they were ordered to do so.
YEp most police and sheriffs departments will also be callin in sick day 1

by day 7 morons like him will be wishing they had a rifle , sidearm and plenty of ammo when the scavengers descend

Yer gonna get a beatin.

HA!

tell it to the VC and Afghanis

Yup, like I said 10-40:1 kill rate for the US against them. They won a war of attrition. Two groups of people that truly lived off the land, had fought for that land

I can burn thru some ammo when I am at the range often. But I wouldn't be doing that in a SHTF scenario.

And I really like the video shooting down the "Ammo as Barter" part. That never made sense to me.
Exactly after shtf day youre not going to be blowing though it like a fag at a san fran pride parade .

To much is never enough ?IN some bad shtf scenarios you could probably always use some for barter
one never knows do one

The barter idea was discussed in the video.

Do you really want to help arm random people?

one never knows do one

The barter idea was discussed in the video.

Do you really want to help arm random people?

they have a point with strangers from out of nowhere, its a good one . BUT
more likely Its gonna be all local.
Is a farmer or someone from a neighboring town really random ?

I found this video on YouTube. Looks like solid info. I'll still keep my own stockpiles, but the idea that you need tens of thousands of rounds might be nonsense.

I've reloaded two spectrums of general ammo for years. One spectrum is for plinking and maintaining skill and weapon familiarity, the other is for fine tuning custom and wildcat rounds for hunting and special purposes. In a real life SHTF or disaster/survival situation my primary objective is to possess enough ammo to acquire more ammunition, if that makes sense. I've got a map in my head of waypoints in specific order just to accomplish that. Factoring in competition for food, gas and other basic necessities and others in my area who might have similar plans, the number of rounds required to do that varies.

"In a real life SHTF or disaster/survival situation my primary objective is to possess enough ammo to acquire more ammunition, if that makes sense. I've got a map in my head of waypoints in specific order just to accomplish that. Factoring in competition for food, gas and other basic necessities and others in my area who might have similar plans, the number of rounds required to do that varies. "

I see.

So you are planning on using your stockpiled ammo to kill other people to take their food and ammo.

working together cooperatively to survive is just not an option for you.

I'm guessing you are a conservative.

I found this video on YouTube. Looks like solid info. I'll still keep my own stockpiles, but the idea that you need tens of thousands of rounds might be nonsense.

Depends on how much shooting you do. My neighbor doe cowboy action shooting and IPSC, so he will at any given time have ten thousand rounds of .38 spcl and .38 super on hand at any given time. I can and do burn thousand of .22 rimfire year round. My favorite bolt gun is an old military caliber (6.6x55 Swede) so I buy allot of Privi Partizan ammo on line. And anyone who owns class 3, well 10,000 rounds is just a tease. On hand I have about 250 rounds of 6.5 and 2,000 .22, but I’ve been working on that pile for 2 years.

Naturally renewable arrows? This guy's out of his ever-lovin' mind!
I ruined an arrow and almost cried! Yeah, I shot my steel spinner target with it. In hindsight, that was a very stupid idea.:tomato: It was a target tip and it crushed the shaft right behind it. :crying:

Yeah I bet you shoot one of them parallel limb 420,000 FPS mechanism things to and carbon arrows to boot. Last now I bought new was a Hoyt vectrix. Hell on carbon arrows. Especially if you use heavy inserts.

Forum List

Back