Stock Talk

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
Gunny,

Has there been any discussion of adding a 'Stock Talk' forum?

I know I'm not the only one who sees 'blue light specials' all over the markets... might be fun and profitable to share views on tips and traps we come across.

Thanks, big guy!

-Joe

Gunny,

Has there been any discussion of adding a 'Stock Talk' forum?

I know I'm not the only one who sees 'blue light specials' all over the markets... might be fun and profitable to share views on tips and traps we come across.

Thanks, big guy!

-Joe

I second the motion!

We should probably wait until the Democrats in Congress are replaced by conservatives. Otherwise, it'll just be a whining and moaning forum.

A DOW headed to 6000 has real value to the bears.

Keep those damn Bears up there in the woods with you and remember: Bears make money. Bulls make money. Hogs get slaughtered.

"It's not the gale, it's the set of your sail..."

Another dead forum.

Actually, I can see it getting some use - there's really no other place to post about stocks, trading, etc. except General Discussion, and not many people venture that far down on the board...

Actually, I can see it getting some use - there's really no other place to post about stocks, trading, etc. except General Discussion, and not many people venture that far down on the board...

What's wrong with "Economy"? That's already where it gets discussed anyway, and it seems to be working fine.

It could use more traffic anyway.

What's wrong with "Economy"? That's already where it gets discussed anyway, and it seems to be working fine.

It could use more traffic anyway.

Hah. I actually missed Economy, and I went looking thru the forums to see if there was another place that could be used before I posted.

Long day. :(

That may well be true but, it's not over. I don't believe we've hit the bottom, yet.

Until then, I'll day trade - when time permits.

Yeah, I don't think its the ultimate bottom. I think we'll retest and possibly go lower next year.

But get this, the market bottomed after the 1929 Crash on November 13, 1929. The market had fallen nearly 50%. It then rallied 46% before rolling over in April 1930 and breaking down to new lows.

It appears that today, November 13, 2008, the market also put in a bottom for the year after falling nearly 50%.

Hopefully, that is the end of the similarities.

Yeah, I don't think its the ultimate bottom. I think we'll retest and possibly go lower next year.

But get this, the market bottomed after the 1929 Crash on November 13, 1929. The market had fallen nearly 50%. It then rallied 46% before rolling over in April 1930 and breaking down to new lows.

It appears that today, November 13, 2008, the market also put in a bottom for the year after falling nearly 50%.

Hopefully, that is the end of the similarities.

Interesting info. Admittedly, I didn't know.

Now it gives me (us) something else to consider: April 2009. I don't have a good feeling about 2009... I hope I'm wrong.

Today was the bottom of the market for 2008.

I highly doubt it. We were at 7950 a few weeks ago. It took us years to get down this low before and just a couple of weeks to hit it this time. I'm still making my call for DOW 6000 + or - 100 as the bottom.

Last edited:
The other interesting fact is that the market seasonally starts doing well, oh, about now.

Most of the gains in the stock market over time happen starting in the first or second week of November running into late March, April, or early May.

I highly doubt it. We were at 7950 a few weeks ago. It took us years to get down this low before and just a couple of weeks to hit it this time. I'm still making my call for DOW 6000 + or - 100 as the bottom.

You may be right, but that does not mean we cannot go higher before we make new lows.

After the crash of 1929, stocks rose 46% into April 1930 before rolling over.

6a00d83451986b69e2010535edce01970c-800wi

Hopefully, 1929 isn't the playbook. Hopefully, it is 1974 or 1987.

This is a graph of today's market, which is the black line, superimposed over the market of 1974, which is the pink line.

6a00d83451986b69e2010535f3bab9970c-800wi

And this is 1987.

6a00d83451986b69e2010535ed48ea970b-800wi

I do think we will retest the lows next year, but I think the bottom is in for 2008.

The ones expecting them to get a bailout.

It's a gamble, but a bailout could temporarily bring the price up a bit and make for a quick profit.

Or they could just be artificially inflating the price of GM stock so when it doesn't get a bailout they can sell it. Get it up to $3.15 and sell sell sell!

Forum List

Back