Ham Stock

1 cup dry white wine
Ham trimmings and cracked bones
2 medium sized onions, coarsely chopped
1 cup coarsely chopped celery
5 or 6 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 TBS. coarsly chopped garlic
1 whole cayenne pepper or 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper

In a large stockpot, place the wine, ham bones and trimmings, and enough water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil. Skim off any scum that may form. Reduce the heat to low, add vegetables and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 3 to 4 hours, removing the scum as it forms. Remove the large bones and strain into containers and cover. Remove any unwanted fat after the stock is chilled.

Here is my question.. The hell are ham trimmings? I asked this on another site and the answer I was given doesn't seem right. I ran a search on it and I came across a review from another country that said trimmings were in a bag. That has to be a different meaning. So, I figured I would give it a shot here.

The shank bone and skin removed before packaging. You're gonna hafta find a real butcher and request some. You will never find it in the shelf.

You think I could get away with using the bone in ham and the rest of the ham?

I don't see why not, the reason the trimmings are used is so you don't waste good meat making stock. Buy a small boney shank end ham and go to town.

add a half a pound of brown beans and cook four hours then serve with cornbread and fried taters..

I'm using it for red beans and rice.
That’s what I do, and it is the left overs and bone from a spiral sliced ham each time. It is wonderful. I use dried beans, let them soak overnight in the crock pot on low. Then when they are half way to the tenderness I want, I will add the ham and a couple of bay leaves, etc.

Last edited:
add a half a pound of brown beans and cook four hours then serve with cornbread and fried taters..

That’s what I do, and it is the left overs and bone from a spiral sliced ham each time. It is wonderful.
Dude, try some mac and cheese with that. Really good.

Crock-Pot fulla giant white limas, "butter beans" to Southerners, is what gets the bone from the Christmas ham for me.

Will try that. We usually have corn bread with it, too. If I don’t have a ham, then will add a pkg of Polska kielbasa about the last 2 hours cut up.

That’s what I do, and it is the left overs and bone from a spiral sliced ham each time. It is wonderful.

Will try that. We usually have corn bread with it, too. If I don’t have a ham, then will add a pkg of Polska kielbasa about the last 2 hours cut up.

I use that kielbasa sometimes with my brown beans. Mostly I cook the brown beans with chicken base.

Every News Years I do the same with black eye peas. Yummy and good luck for the coming year! Lol.

Yep, I make baked beans with the kielbasa, also. I used smoked sausage for years, but it has gotten so gristly I changed.

I use that kielbasa sometimes with my brown beans. Mostly I cook the brown beans with chicken base.

Forum List

Back