Stock markets up, unemployment is down, ya gotta admit it's gettin' better...

I love the democratic process but let's face it the bulk of the voters have a memory about as long as my... pinky.

In my opinion Obama will win in 2012 if the general voter perception right before the election is that the economy is better and that is headed in the right direction.

He might win regardless if the Republicans don't find a good candidate.

The voters aren't going to "forget" the economy, and with all the spending of what we don't have showing no real signs of slowing, there will be no major improvement in the overall economy, let alone the real (U6) jobs numbers...

Besides, too many "ifs" in your synopsis....
No, they won't forget the economy and under who's watch it started.

At some point you're probably going to have to join us in 2011...

I don't have much hope in you trying to, though....

I would hardly call 9% unemploment,skyrockting gas prices and food prices going through the roof an improvement.
Oh and inflation is coming next. In fact it's already started.
And as long as gov spending continues I dont see any real changes coming.
Public confidence is way down.

Never in our history have we had so many people trying to lower public confidence... at least not inside our own borders.

Were you in a coma from 2001 through 2008?

That's what I was thinking.

And there is a major difference between trying to lower public confidence and being skeptical.

We havent fixed our economic problems. We are throwing money at them and pretending they will go away. and most of the problems with our economy stem from our corrupt culture and our individual desire to be idle, dishonest, and corrupt.

Wow...Talk about regurgitating talking points from the echo chamber! :lmao:

I guess the most effective talking points would be the truth.

I know a lot of what I say could be inaccurate because I mostly watch Fox and listen to talk radio (really).

You're right. The most effective talking points would be the truth.

That's probably why your talking points haven't been very effective.

Never in our history have we had so many people trying to lower public confidence... at least not inside our own borders.

Were you in a coma from 2001 through 2008?

That's what I was thinking.

And there is a major difference between trying to lower public confidence and being skeptical.

We haven't fixed our economic problems. We are throwing money at them and pretending they will go away. and most of the problems with our economy stem from our corrupt culture and our individual desire to be idle, dishonest, and corrupt.

Two things;

I feel like this economic crisis was way more critical than the dot.com bubble bursting and gaining consumer confidence is essential to the recovery. The bulk of the 2001 to 2008 criticism was on the war.

The depth of the negativity is unreal, we have folks on the news talking about the end of times and there was never a left wing equivalent to the misinformation echo machine that is talk radio.

Given what we were facing it could be worse. I suppose.

But as to the economy getting better?

I don't really think anybody knows what the future will bring.

Some economic indicators are better which means for some people things are getting better.

That's ALL it means.

What do ALL the economic indicators tell us?

They give us a very mixed message.

In his most recent post Robert Reich writes about an economic truth no one on Wall Street or in DC will admit to:

"Why aren’t Americans being told the truth about the economy? We’re heading in the direction of a double dip – but you’d never know it if you listened to the upbeat messages coming out of Wall Street and Washington.

"Consumers are 70 percent of the American economy, and consumer confidence is plummeting.

"It’s weaker today on average than at the lowest point of the Great Recession.

"The Reuters/University of Michigan survey shows a 10 point decline in March – the tenth largest drop on record. Part of that drop is attributable to rising fuel and food prices.

"A separate Conference Board’s index of consumer confidence, just released, shows consumer confidence at a five-month low — and a large part is due to expectations of fewer jobs and lower wages in the months ahead.

"Pessimistic consumers buy less. And fewer sales spells economic trouble ahead."

Hopefully, by the fall of 2012 the calculated greed displayed by the richest 1% of Americans will convince millions of voters that "choosing" between Democrat OR Republican in the voting booth is no choice at all.

Well, it's been 2 years you you guys saying "thing are getting better!" Do you really mean it this time! =D

UE keeps getting better (iother than when it gets worse lolz) because people simply fall off and are not counted anymore! YES GOOD NEWS!

That's actually wrong. The U6 unemployment rate fell as well.

Given what we were facing it could be worse. I suppose.

But as to the economy getting better?

I don't really think anybody knows what the future will bring.

Some economic indicators are better which means for some people things are getting better.

That's ALL it means.

What do ALL the economic indicators tell us?

They give us a very mixed message.

We are a nation in decline. The bouncebacks in the economy will always be swimming against the longterm tide.

In his most recent post Robert Reich writes about an economic truth no one on Wall Street or in DC will admit to:

"Why aren’t Americans being told the truth about the economy? We’re heading in the direction of a double dip – but you’d never know it if you listened to the upbeat messages coming out of Wall Street and Washington.

"Consumers are 70 percent of the American economy, and consumer confidence is plummeting.

"It’s weaker today on average than at the lowest point of the Great Recession.

"The Reuters/University of Michigan survey shows a 10 point decline in March – the tenth largest drop on record. Part of that drop is attributable to rising fuel and food prices.

"A separate Conference Board’s index of consumer confidence, just released, shows consumer confidence at a five-month low — and a large part is due to expectations of fewer jobs and lower wages in the months ahead.

"Pessimistic consumers buy less. And fewer sales spells economic trouble ahead."

Hopefully, by the fall of 2012 the calculated greed displayed by the richest 1% of Americans will convince millions of voters that "choosing" between Democrat OR Republican in the voting booth is no choice at all.
Oh Really

Drop in U.S. Jobless Claims, Rising Consumer Confidence Point to Recovery

Drop in U.S. Jobless Claims, Rising Consumer Confidence Point to Recovery - Bloomberg

Well, it's been 2 years you you guys saying "thing are getting better!" Do you really mean it this time! =D

UE keeps getting better (iother than when it gets worse lolz) because people simply fall off and are not counted anymore! YES GOOD NEWS!

That's actually wrong. The U6 unemployment rate fell as well.
U6 should alway track U3, the normal reported rate because U6 includes U3. U6 will always be higher because it includes those who have stopped looking for work, marginally attached workers, and part time workers who want to work full time. Those that wish to magnify unemployment will always sight U6. When U3 is 4%, U6 will be 6 to 10%.

Stock markets up, unemployment is down, ya gotta admit it's gettin' better...

Yup, it's getting better, but if our so-called Liberal Media™ doesn't report on it, it doesn't do much good electorally.

Forum List

Back