Stimulus provides 388,000 Jobs

I'm delighted to hear it.

In Michigan, a lot of stimulus money has gone into long overdue road improvement projects. There's more construction here than at any time anyone can remember, and it has started much later in the year than usual as the funds didn't become available until midsummer.

In the short term it's a pain in the ass since driving can be hell, particularly with winter around the corner which always slows the traffic flow down anyway, but we'll all be grateful in the long term for fewer potholes.

Yeah, with 15%+ unemployment, Michigan's biggest problem by far is too many potholes
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: Yes, and then after you fix those potholes you get to get laid off again.:cuckoo:

:lol: At last. :clap2:

You're quite right of course. The issue isn't the potholes at all. It's how the funds are being used.

I was wondering when someone would actually point out that, as far as construction is concerned anyway, this is short term labor not a self-sustaining professional position.

If all that was needed was to keep someone off unemployment temporarily, $787 billion would have paid for (if my math is right) over 3 million people to sit on their hands for 2 years at an annual salary of $100,000. And what happens at the end of the 2 years? See the second post. "Phase 2" will create another 'yellow brick road' for a few hundred thousand to amble along just at the time the elections are due.

Potholes are still a problem in Michigan, BTW. They're not worth $787 billion, but they're a problem all the same.

How do they determine the 'jobs saved' part? I've never seen anything to back this just the same tired talking point.

The linked article in the OP says...

Until now, the administration has relied on economic estimates to assess national job creation. The states' reports were meant to actually count the jobs, though that gauge has proved to be imprecise — particularly for jobs saved. "The numbers ... should be taken with a grain of salt," said Ethan Pollack of the Economic Policy Institute.

Rightwinger conveniently missed that bit. :eek:

How do they determine the 'jobs saved' part? I've never seen anything to back this just the same tired talking point.

I have lived through many recessions and never have heard the" jobs saved" crap, it's always been " jobs created," it's just another way to spin themselves out of accountability for a dismal and failed peice of legislation. Don't buy it, as they are hoping that all of us are STUPID enough to fall for it. Hopefully most of us are not.:lol::lol::lol:

I don't believe it because it's nothing more than crap. I was hoping someone on the left would be able to provide some kind of proof of this so called 'jobs saved' nonsense.

I have lived through many recessions and never have heard the" jobs saved" crap, it's always been " jobs created," it's just another way to spin themselves out of accountability for a dismal and failed peice of legislation. Don't buy it, as they are hoping that all of us are STUPID enough to fall for it. Hopefully most of us are not.:lol::lol::lol:

I don't believe it because it's nothing more than crap. I was hoping someone on the left would be able to provide some kind of proof of this so called 'jobs saved' nonsense.

That;s easy.
There were so many jobs when Obama came into office. If those jobs are still in existence then he "saved" them. Because otherwise they would have vanished.
See how easy that is??

The linked article in the OP says...

Until now, the administration has relied on economic estimates to assess national job creation. The states' reports were meant to actually count the jobs, though that gauge has proved to be imprecise — particularly for jobs saved. "The numbers ... should be taken with a grain of salt," said Ethan Pollack of the Economic Policy Institute.

Rightwinger conveniently missed that bit. :eek:

Like I said I've never seen anything to back this. :)

That;s easy.
There were so many jobs when Obama came into office. If those jobs are still in existence then he "saved" them. Because otherwise they would have vanished.
See how easy that is??

Scary thing is that's probably close to the truth.

No that IS the truth. I am sure that is what they mean. Every job still in existence owes its continued existence to Obama's policies.
That is the corollary to the idea that Obama has cost X number of jobs.

That;s easy.
See how easy that is??

Silly me, I forgot about the magic wand. Of course . . .

That's less than one months increase in unemployment.

Yeah ride that pony in the 2010 elections.

Unemployment at 10% but claiming Stimulus saved or created 500,000 jobs is a winner for sure

ACORN says thanks. They do request cash over check payment though.

Total nonfarm payroll employment declined by 263,000 in September. From May through September,
job losses averaged 307,000 per month, compared with losses averaging 645,000 per month from
November 2008 to April. Since the start of the recession in December 2007, payroll employment has
fallen by 7.2 million. (See table B-1.)
In September, construction employment declined by 64,000. Monthly job losses averaged 66,000 from
May through September, compared with an average of 117,000 per month from November to April.
September job cuts were concentrated in the industry′s nonresidential components (-39,000) and in
heavy construction (-12,000). Since December 2007, employment in construction has fallen by 1.5
million.

Since the start of the recession in December 2007, the number of unemployed persons has increased by
7.6 million to 15.1 million, and the unemployment rate has doubled to 9.8 percent
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

300 plus thousand? thats about 7.3 million shy of being anywhere near what you would call a "STIMULUS". Why not call the bill what it was, and that was a "grant program" to fund all the democratic programs that supported the Obama campaign and not disguise it as a stimulus which it clearly is not.

This is only the first phase of the stimulus impact. The second, larger phase kicks in prior to the 2010 elections. I'm sure it is just a coincidence

It sucks being a republican

"created or saved" jobs. Saving jobs isn't creating them

Since i've joined this message board there are approx. 30 million americans that still have their jobs.

Props to me for saving 30 million jobs !!!

This is only the first phase of the stimulus impact. The second, larger phase kicks in prior to the 2010 elections. I'm sure it is just a coincidence

It sucks being a republican

The government's economic stimulus spending has already had its biggest impact and probably won't contribute to significant growth next year, a top White House adviser said Thursday.

Christina Romer, the chair of President Barack Obama's Council of Economic Advisers, said the initial jolt of the $787 billion stimulus expanded the economy in the second and third quarters of this year. But she said the remaining spending will simply keep the economy from slipping.

"By mid-2010," she said, "fiscal stimulus will likely be contributing little to further growth."

The Associated Press: Romer: Impact of stimulus will level off next year

Early reports: Job gains signal stimulus impact - USATODAY.com

WASHINGTON — States have reported using stimulus money to create or save more than 388,000 jobs so far this year, buttressing the Obama administration's claim that the $787 billion plan has had a significant impact on the economy.
That total, based on a USA TODAY review of reports from 33 states and Puerto Rico, includes teachers, construction workers, and others whose jobs were funded by stimulus money awarded to states. The administration plans Friday to release reports from all 50 states, providing the broadest accounting yet of the stimulus plan's impact.

Before you go patting yourself on the back too much. Has your school district hired any new teachers that didn't replace a teacher? There are NO new jobs being created. In fact, many of the construction jobs have now been ended, because road construction is at a close for the season. By even the account of those in the know of the Obama adminstration there will be no effect of the stimulus money in 2010. Even for this year it is estimated the effects ended in the third quarter. Not my sources, but from Obama's own people. Go ahead ask me for proof. I dare you. A little smoke with your mirror rightwinger?

Forum List

Back