Stimulus Plan Includes Religious Discrimination

You're so stupid you don't realize that many of these groups of faith actually pay for the use of those facilities.

Let them pay. You are not here crying about who the church pays for what. You are here crying about your grubby fucking paws being slapped out of the tax payer cookie jar. By all means, let them pay. Hell, if the boyscouts COULD PAY rather than take public charity then they wouldn't have to be kicked out of their fucking building, eh? You know, that article that one of us posted? THAT would have been RENT if they COULD PAY. But, thats not at all what you are bleeding all over the carpet about, now is it?

Yes, actually it is, but you are too dense to get it. Most of these groups do pay you goof. Now they could be discriminated against from being able to rent these facilities.

Post your evidence, nutter. I can show you why the boy scouts were kicked the fuck out of a building where their "rent" was basically charity (see tax) based. Why can't you provide more than laughable shit talking? Is this where you are finding your hatred of science welling up against your lack of physical evidence, Culty mcCultist?

Again, PROVIDE more evidence than that which makes a, uh, FAITH based thumper's tail wag.

I posted MY evidence, dude. Where is yours? Read any good "Boyscouts kicked the fuck out of public venues becaue of their anti-gay stance" articles lately? do you have EVIDENCE that the general population will "pay more taxes" if your silly dogma junkie ass is not allowed free reign of public resources? Non-sequiters may increase the tithes in the donation plate but i'm just not all that impressed.

Indeed, a nation without religion would give each of us one less reason to marginalize others. I look forward to that AFFECTING the nation. The FACT remains that you will not be hindered at all by being excluded from the public tax tit. Tell me, IS THIS WHAT YOU THINK JESUS WOULD HAVE DONE? Crying about funding from Ceasar?

Your evidence is the twisting of our Constitution, plain and simple. When organizations that pay to use these facilities are no longer permitted to use them, then the schools will lose revenue. But I'm sure you believe that by removing these organizations, others will take their place. :cuckoo:

Pay close attention to this yahoo's posts, my friend. He's building a straw man and you're missing the importance of what he's not saying.

He's framing the question as if the use of a facility in off hours by a small group of church-goers for a 2 hour Bible study is tantamount to those few people accepting the funds from this bill themselves! The very notion is laughable…laughable but pathetic.

He can’t argue the issue on a straightforward enunciation of the issue on its merits because his argument would fall from of its own weight.

For example, let’s say that this Bible study group comes to the school for their meeting every Tuesday evening at 6:00 P.M. and stays for an hour. In what way, exactly, would they have accepted or requested any of the funds that the school may have used for a roof repair done at the other end of the building? And, how would it possibly relate to the construction of a new church by this group in another totally unrelated location?

The answer is obvious. No construction of this bill given by him would account for any use of or request of the funds in question.

And, yet, the fact is that the bill would forever prohibit the school from allowing the group this inconsequential use of its facility.

So, it really isn’t worth arguing with a troll like this…

Hey, dude.. I'm not the one acting like a wounded fucking bird because tax money won't get funneled into your dogma junkie pockets. Your opinion of "inconsequential" is about as nationally valid as your opinion on Witch Confessions. At the end of the day, dogma junkie, YOU still get to fail in your lionfood "they are picking on me, jesus" crybaby shit. When you want to bring more to the table than laughably misconstrued accusations and weak assed opinions then let me know.. Until then, go pray to your zombie jesus because Ceasar doesn't care about you.

"Nestled away in the now $900 billion-plus stimulus is a provision some conservatives believe is a backdoor attempt to stifle religious dialogue in the public square. While the bill provides $20 billion for the modernization of school facilities — with $14 billion going to elementary and secondary schools and $6 billion for higher education — it also expressly prohibits using the funds to modernize buildings where religious activities take place." The Bulletin > Philadelphia's Family Newspaper > Archives > Top Stories > Stimulus Plan Includes Religious Discrimination

Under current law a public school must allow after school use of its facilities for religiouos activities such as Bible study and religious services. What this bill will do is make it illegal for any school that accepts these funds for improvements, repairs or new construction to do so.

Excellent. We should not be having prayer and religious activities in public schools. The law reverses the previous one.

Why? What's it to you if a religious group rents one of the school's rooms after school hours? What is your vested interest in keeping the school from getting a little extra money on the side, not to mention in having the government discriminate against religious groups in direct violation of the First Amendment?

"Nestled away in the now $900 billion-plus stimulus is a provision some conservatives believe is a backdoor attempt to stifle religious dialogue in the public square. While the bill provides $20 billion for the modernization of school facilities — with $14 billion going to elementary and secondary schools and $6 billion for higher education — it also expressly prohibits using the funds to modernize buildings where religious activities take place." The Bulletin > Philadelphia's Family Newspaper > Archives > Top Stories > Stimulus Plan Includes Religious Discrimination

Under current law a public school must allow after school use of its facilities for religiouos activities such as Bible study and religious services. What this bill will do is make it illegal for any school that accepts these funds for improvements, repairs or new construction to do so.

I don't believe that's true. In fact, I don't believe kids ar allowed to have bible study in school at all. I could be wrong about that, though.

To me, it's applying the same standard as the constitution. At least til the right wingers on the court get hold of it.... which could be the reason for the provision.

I don't see anything wrong with it.Government is already prohibited from funding religious pursuits. I can see where the Christian right would be offended by that, having worked so hard to elect presidents and governors to put people on the court who stand constitutional construction on its head.

I'm just going to get a macro for this next sentence, since I seem to have to use it in relation to your posts all the time.

What in the hell are you babbling about?

1) No one said anything specifically about kids having Bible studies. As I'm sure you're unaware - since you're usually unaware of nearly everything - many schools rent their facilities out to community groups outside of school hours. One of the local schools in my neighborhood, for example, rents its cafeteria to a church for Sunday services while the group saves up enough money to build its own chapel. The money goes to fund things that the regular school budget doesn't cover. This provision would also include any university building used by religious based organizations, even if they are recognized student organizations.

2) No one said anything about the government funding any activity, religious or otherwise. The purpose here is to withhold government funding from improving buildings whose primary purpose is NON-religious unless they discriminate in their rental and usage rules against religious people. Or are you seriously trying to tell us that you see making repairs to a college's Student Union, which is used for every damned thing under the sun that's related to the college, plus rented out to virtually every imaginable community group, is "funding religious activities" simpy because one or two of those myriad groups paying good money to use those facilities happens to be religious?

3) Where does the Constitution require that facilities and services extended to community groups should be withheld from religious groups specifically because they are religious? Cite the "the government must be hostile to religion" clause in the Constitution for me, please.

Your evidence is the twisting of our Constitution, plain and simple. When organizations that pay to use these facilities are no longer permitted to use them, then the schools will lose revenue. But I'm sure you believe that by removing these organizations, others will take their place. :cuckoo:

Pay close attention to this yahoo's posts, my friend. He's building a straw man and you're missing the importance of what he's not saying.

He's framing the question as if the use of a facility in off hours by a small group of church-goers for a 2 hour Bible study is tantamount to those few people accepting the funds from this bill themselves! The very notion is laughable…laughable but pathetic.

He can’t argue the issue on a straightforward enunciation of the issue on its merits because his argument would fall from of its own weight.

For example, let’s say that this Bible study group comes to the school for their meeting every Tuesday evening at 6:00 P.M. and stays for an hour. In what way, exactly, would they have accepted or requested any of the funds that the school may have used for a roof repair done at the other end of the building? And, how would it possibly relate to the construction of a new church by this group in another totally unrelated location?

The answer is obvious. No construction of this bill given by him would account for any use of or request of the funds in question.

And, yet, the fact is that the bill would forever prohibit the school from allowing the group this inconsequential use of its facility.

Hey, dude.. I'm not the one acting like a wounded fucking bird because tax money won't get funneled into your dogma junkie pockets. Your opinion of "inconsequential" is about as nationally valid as your opinion on Witch Confessions. At the end of the day, dogma junkie, YOU still get to fail in your lionfood "they are picking on me, jesus" crybaby shit. When you want to bring more to the table than laughably misconstrued accusations and weak assed opinions then let me know.. Until then, go pray to your zombie jesus because Ceasar doesn't care about you.

I think Shogun got beat up by a nun.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

The hilarious part is that you notice that he still hasn't tried to explain how my use of a school room after hours for a Bible study group equates to money "funneling into my pockets"...:eusa_whistle:

The hilarious part is that you notice that he still hasn't tried to explain how my use of a school room after hours for a Bible study group equates to money "funneling into my pockets"...:eusa_whistle:

He can't

I think dogma junkies high on a sugar rush of martyrdom should realize that this tax based nation isn't fodder for personal faith. So far, i'm the ONLY motherfucker to post evidence beyond the same lame tripe from flat-earther's crying about phantom lions. Clearly, someone doesn't remember what ACTUAL persecution is all about. Ironically, these are the same people who will not hesitate to limit the equal application of the same constitution based on their personal faith DESPITE the Constitution. Yet, here we are listening to victimhood 101 because *gasp* public taxes can't be funneled to benefit jesus junkies.

bummer fucking days, man.

Who needs to leap through YOUR hoop, dude? I've posted evidence of the state kicking boyscouts out of publicly funded locations because of their "faith based" policy AND it is still a FACT that the same shit you are crying about today will remain in the bill. So, again, who cares what you think about my disregard for your laughable straw man?

:eusa_angel:

I don't believe that's true. In fact, I don't believe kids ar allowed to have bible study in school at all. I could be wrong about that, though.

To me, it's applying the same standard as the constitution. At least til the right wingers on the court get hold of it.... which could be the reason for the provision.

I don't see anything wrong with it.Government is already prohibited from funding religious pursuits. I can see where the Christian right would be offended by that, having worked so hard to elect presidents and governors to put people on the court who stand constitutional construction on its head.

I'm just going to get a macro for this next sentence, since I seem to have to use it in relation to your posts all the time.

What in the hell are you babbling about?

1) No one said anything specifically about kids having Bible studies. As I'm sure you're unaware - since you're usually unaware of nearly everything - many schools rent their facilities out to community groups outside of school hours. One of the local schools in my neighborhood, for example, rents its cafeteria to a church for Sunday services while the group saves up enough money to build its own chapel. The money goes to fund things that the regular school budget doesn't cover. This provision would also include any university building used by religious based organizations, even if they are recognized student organizations.

2) No one said anything about the government funding any activity, religious or otherwise. The purpose here is to withhold government funding from improving buildings whose primary purpose is NON-religious unless they discriminate in their rental and usage rules against religious people. Or are you seriously trying to tell us that you see making repairs to a college's Student Union, which is used for every damned thing under the sun that's related to the college, plus rented out to virtually every imaginable community group, is "funding religious activities" simpy because one or two of those myriad groups paying good money to use those facilities happens to be religious?

3) Where does the Constitution require that facilities and services extended to community groups should be withheld from religious groups specifically because they are religious? Cite the "the government must be hostile to religion" clause in the Constitution for me, please.

Don’t be so hard on Jillian. I really don’t believe that she’s a hardened ideologue who is trying to twist the debate.

She is among many who are mistaken about what schools and other public buildings can and can’t be used for. It’s a very common misconception that those of us who know better can help to dispel.

He can't

Correction: He doesn't have to. After you people get done letting yourpussies bleed all over the carpet feel free to dry your tears and move on. If the boy scouts and catholic charities can manage to move on then so can you.

:thup:

Yes he is often hilarious, in both the laugh "with" and "at" varieties. But you've also not shown how your use of the room for Bible study in this manner would be affected by the restrictions.

from the article, it looks like they are talking about COLLEGE CAMPUSES.....near the end it talks of campuses with a ministry on campus.....

Do we call elementary schools campuses? And do elementary schools have religious ministries on their grounds?

PLEASE....this is not what the article made it out to be....it's just not....

Care,

If you go back and look at the full text of the bill (http://www.rules.house.gov/111/LegText/111_hr1_text.pdf), the part of this text that I quoted reading, “funds awarded under this section”, refers to the section of the bill relating to public schools including elementary and secondary schools as follows:.

“GENERAL PROVISIONS, THIS SUBTITLE
SEC. 9301. 21ST CENTURY GREEN HIGH-PERFORMING PUBLIC SCHOOL FACILITIES.
7 (a) DEFINITIONS.—In this section:
8 (1) The term ‘Bureau-funded school’ has the
9 meaning given to such term in section 1141 of the
10 Education Amendments of 1978 (25 U.S.C. 2021).
11 (2) The term ‘charter school’ has the meaning
12 given such term in section 5210 of the Elementary
13 and Secondary Education Act of 1965.
14 (3) The term ‘local educational agency’—
15 (A) has the meaning given to that term in
16 section 9101 of the Elementary and Secondary
17 Education Act of 1965, and shall also include
18 the Recovery School District of Louisiana and
19 the New Orleans Public Schools; and
20 (B) includes any public charter school that
21 constitutes a local educational agency under
22 State law.”

patriot,

where in the house bill does it say this?:

“(2) PROHIBITED USES OF FUNDS.—No funds awarded under this section may be used for—

(C) modernization, renovation, or repair of facilities—

(i) used for sectarian instruction, religious worship, or a school or department of divinity; or

(ii) in which a substantial portion of the functions of the facilities are subsumed in a religious mission; or construction of new facilities.”

it IS NOT on page 164/165....

WHERE did you get THAT statement from? what bill and what page? and include the link, for THAT provision....

call me dumb, but i can't find it????

from the article, it looks like they are talking about COLLEGE CAMPUSES.....near the end it talks of campuses with a ministry on campus.....

Do we call elementary schools campuses? And do elementary schools have religious ministries on their grounds?

PLEASE....this is not what the article made it out to be....it's just not....

Care,

If you go back and look at the full text of the bill (http://www.rules.house.gov/111/LegText/111_hr1_text.pdf), the part of this text that I quoted reading, “funds awarded under this section”, refers to the section of the bill relating to public schools including elementary and secondary schools as follows:.

22 State law.”

patriot,

“(2) PROHIBITED USES OF FUNDS.—No funds awarded under this section may be used for—

(i) used for sectarian instruction, religious worship, or a school or department of divinity; or

(ii) in which a substantial portion of the functions of the facilities are subsumed in a religious mission; or construction of new facilities.”

WHERE did you get THAT statement from? what bill and what page? and include the link, for THAT provision....

I apologize. The bill is H.R.1 and the link is http://www.rules.house.gov/111/LegText/111_hr1_text.pdf. The actual language is at Line 18, Page 186.

Last edited:
That's not different from this, actually... and it comports with my understanding. this is from the bill...

"used for sectarian instruction, religious worship, or a school or department of divinity; or (ii) in which a substantial portion of the functions of the facilities are subsumed in a religious mission.”

I think it might just be a way to head off scalia and roberts from changing those limits. And I am very much ok with that.

Pages 164-165 of the stimulus contain the following prohibitions on the use of $3.5 billion available for renovation of public or private college and university facilities:

OK, Part (2)(C)(i) is the offending provision. Part (2)(C)(ii) isn’t a problem because it is already common in federal funding laws. The (ii) paragraph means that the funds can’t be used to build, renovate or repair what would be a church or church instructional building. Some campuses include a school chapel. Any work on such a building couldn’t be performed with these funds. Although I personally wouldn’t have a problem with such a use of the stimulus money some would and I understand such objections.

But, the (i) paragraph is something new and is a departure from already existing federal law. It is far broader and includes all occasional or less than substantial uses for any religious activity. In other words this isn’t a matter of banning the use of the funds for an old on–campus chapel or church. It bans the one-time or two-time outreach dinner such as the one my church hosted at that elementary school one Thursday night. That’s a big difference.

The irony is that it wouldn’t ban a night of gambling on bingo by a local social club in the same building!

I support the continued separation of CHRUCH and STATE.

Any of you who are belivers ought to join me in supporting that ban, as well.

Why?

Because of the GOLDEN RULE, of course.

As long as the religion does NOT take coin from the government, the government has to leave it ALONE.

The moment you go down the path where the religion becomes in any way dependent on that government for help (other than its tax free status, I mean) your religion has gone down that road to hell paved with expedient intentions.

:clap2: Absolutely, keep the government out of the churches. It's dirty money with filthy strings attached to it, which is why they shouldn't be in charge of education either. This demonstrates exactly why they should be kept out of everything except for what is outlined in the Constitution. Unfortunately, we are so far gone from that at this point that there is not any likelihood of ever returning.

Care,

22 State law.”

patriot,

I apologize. The bill is H.R.1 and the link is http://www.rules.house.gov/111/LegText/111_hr1_text.pdf. The actual language is at Line 18, Page 186.

ok Pat,

this is under the section for HIGHER EDUCATION

(d) USE OF SUBGRANTS BY INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION
(1) PERMISSIBLE USES OF FUNDS.—
this is pg 184

so IT IS speaking about COLLEGES, To clear that up.

Now let's look at the passage again, together, and reason it through....

(2) PROHIBITED USES OF FUNDS.—No funds awarded under this section may be used for—

i. Modernization, renovation, or repair of facilities used for sectarian instruction, religious worship, or a school or department of divinity; or

ii. Modernization, renovation, or repair of facilities in which a substantial portion of the functions of the facilities are susumed in religious mission; or construction of new facilities.

I asked myself, if the way YOU interpreted it is true....... that the first statement ....''i'', meant that any classroom used at all for any religious reason, even if for just 2 hours a week on one day, the feds could prohibit the school from receiving funds to repair it....

then I would also have to ask myself

WHY would "ii" be needed if all the classrooms that had just one Bible study a week in it were already prohibited by clause "i"?

It wouldn't be needed. 'ii' would not be needed Patriot, if 'i' meant what you think it does or say it does mean?

SOOOOOOOO, then i had to ask myself, if there is no reason for it to mean what you say... then what does it mean and how would it relate to having an 'ii'?

SOOOOOOOOO, what I believe it means, especially since ii was stated, is that:
Prohibited from receiving funds IF:

i = the modernization/repair is for specific School Chapels, and specific buildings for their ministry only.

ii = the modernization/repair is for buildings used PRIMARILY for religious purposes...so, they may have secular colleges classes in these buildings but the MAJORITY of the time would be used for religious groups or purposes.

care

patriot,

ok Pat,

this is pg 184

(2) PROHIBITED USES OF FUNDS.—No funds awarded under this section may be used for—

i. Modernization, renovation, or repair of facilities used for sectarian instruction, religious worship, or a school or department of divinity; or

ii. Modernization, renovation, or repair of facilities in which a substantial portion of the functions of the facilities are susumed in religious mission; or construction of new facilities.

I asked myself, if the way YOU interpreted it is true....... that the first statement ....''i'', meant that any classroom used at all for any religious reason, even if for just 2 hours a week on one day, the feds could prohibit the school from receiving funds to repair it....

WHY would "ii" be needed if all the classrooms that had just one Bible study a week in it were already prohibited by clause "i"?

It wouldn't be needed. 'ii' would not be needed Patriot, if 'i' meant what you think it does or say it does mean?

SOOOOOOOO, then i had to ask myself, if there is no reason for it to mean what you say... then what does it mean and how would it relate to having an 'ii'?

i = the modernization/repair is for specific School Chapels, and specific buildings for their ministry only.

ii = the modernization/repair is for buildings used PRIMARILY for religious purposes...so, they may have secular colleges classes in these buildings but the MAJORITY of the time would be used for religious groups or purposes.

care

Care,
Your interpretation is redundant. If (i) means what you say, there is no need for (ii). And, if (ii) means what you say, there is no need for (i) since you seem to think that they both apply to chapels of campus churches or to classrooms used primarily for similar purposes.

Since the two are separated by the term “or” the principles of legal language interpretation hold that they address something different. The only logical difference is that the first addresses buildings used primarily for non-religious purposes and include occasional uses for religious purposes and the second addresses buildings used primarily for religious purposes regardless of whether they are used for occasional non-secular purposes.

This is a distinction that has heretofore not appeared in federal legislation.

ok Pat,

this is pg 184

care

Care,
Your interpretation is redundant. If (i) means what you say, there is no need for (ii). And, if (ii) means what you say, there is no need for (i) since you seem to think that they both apply to chapels of campus churches or to classrooms used primarily for similar purposes.

Since the two are separated by the term “or” the principles of legal language interpretation hold that they address something different. The only logical difference is that the first addresses buildings used primarily for non-religious purposes and include occasional uses for religious purposes and the second addresses buildings used primarily for religious purposes regardless of whether they are used for occasional non-secular purposes.

This is a distinction that has heretofore not appeared in federal legislation.

no, it isn't redundant

some colleges HAVE sections of the college specifically for religious purposes, where NO SECULAR schooling or activities take place.....a School Chapel, a Wing of the school used by the administration of the ministry or a religious school on campus. this IS what 'i' is talking about....

some colleges DO NOT have these kind of buildings on campus.

But these colleges may allow the use of a portion of their school for a portion of the time, for religious type use of others while they also, have regular college classes in this same section of the school. this is what 'ii' is talking about....

Money would still be given for these sections of the school if the religious courses or religious activities were NOT the primary use of the section of the school.

i respectfully disagree with you and sadly believe senator demint -who mouthed off on this, made a mountain out of a molehill for his own political purposes and gain.

btw, does this stimulus bill limit the modernization of colleges to only State owned schools or are private colleges eligible as well, do you know?

care

[
That's not different from this, actually... and it comports with my understanding. this is from the bill...

"used for sectarian instruction, religious worship, or a school or department of divinity; or (ii) in which a substantial portion of the functions of the facilities are subsumed in a religious mission.”

I think it might just be a way to head off scalia and roberts from changing those limits. And I am very much ok with that.

If public school facilities or any public facilities are leased for private use, then they can not be denied to religious organizations on the same lease arrangements. That is the law in most states. For years I went to a church that leased the local junior high school. The church leased the assembly hall for church services and about six classrooms for Sunday School services. The city made some money and the school janitors were assured of overtime. That was a win/win situation.

The church grew and is now one of the biggest in San Diego (where I live). It now operates elementary and high schools and relieves the school district of the burden of having to give an inferior education to over 2000 students. The church school is one of the best in the country.

Forum List

Back