Stimulus Plan Includes Religious Discrimination

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Patriot2009, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Patriot2009

Patriot2009 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    "Nestled away in the now $900 billion-plus stimulus is a provision some conservatives believe is a backdoor attempt to stifle religious dialogue in the public square. While the bill provides $20 billion for the modernization of school facilities — with $14 billion going to elementary and secondary schools and $6 billion for higher education — it also expressly prohibits using the funds to modernize buildings where religious activities take place." The Bulletin > Philadelphia's Family Newspaper > Archives > Top Stories > Stimulus Plan Includes Religious Discrimination

Under current law a public school must allow after school use of its facilities for religiouos activities such as Bible study and religious services. What this bill will do is make it illegal for any school that accepts these funds for improvements, repairs or new construction to do so.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    nice---conditions on the stimulus package that have nothing to do with the economy.

3. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,127
    And no one knows really how much of that kind of stuff is IN the bill... well, maybe pelosi does.

We're getting a royal fucking with this bill, compliments of the new far left power in Washington.

People should be scared... REAL scared.

4. Arthur

Arthur BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Excellent. We should not be having prayer and religious activities in public schools. The law reverses the previous one.

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I don't believe that's true. In fact, I don't believe kids ar allowed to have bible study in school at all. I could be wrong about that, though.

To me, it's applying the same standard as the constitution. At least til the right wingers on the court get hold of it.... which could be the reason for the provision.

I don't see anything wrong with it.Government is already prohibited from funding religious pursuits. I can see where the Christian right would be offended by that, having worked so hard to elect presidents and governors to put people on the court who stand constitutional construction on its head.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    great--no yarmulkes or headscraves in public schools

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,987
    Simply not true. In FACT your State of New York is the REASON religious groups can use school buildings AFTER school hours. Notice the AFTER SCHOOL HOURS part? And explain again why it was perfectly ok for New York to create special rooms DURING school hours for Muslim children in PUBLIC Schools?

8. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Schools are allowed to rent there gyms here to business meetings and other social get togethers. So basically any events sponsered by any of the churches could be mistrued as religious events.

There are many small communities throughout the US that have one multiple purpose building that serves the community for all community events including Bible school. we had one where I grew up in the California mountains. It is still there today and it is still used for all community events and Sunday school.

So this is basically yet another way to screw small communities that have very limited resources to begin with.

9. Patriot2009

Patriot2009 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    What the Supreme Court has held is that if a school, or, I believe, other publicly owned buildings such as community centers and so on, make the facilities available to the public for non-government uses, i.e., student extra-curricular activities, club meetings, and other such uses, it must make the same facilities available to groups intent on using the facilities for religious activities as well [See GOOD NEWS CLUB V. MILFORD CENTRAL SCHOOL (99-2036) http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/99-2036.ZS.html].

It is common for church clubs, small congregations that can’t afford to build a church, Bible study groups and other religious groups to use public buildings in this manner. Our church held an outreach dinner in a neighboring community elementary school recently.

Under this provision, if that school accepts funding for a repair to the school roof, the use of the building for a Bible study group or another outreach dinner would then be forever prohibited!

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    GOOD.

common tax money should not be thrown at religious organizations. period. why should non-believers pay into a kitty that relieves YOUR personal burden of faith? Screw you people. Go pray for fucking rain and cash if you want another megachurch or 40k car for your pastor OR FAILED FAITH BASED PROGRAMS. Some of us would rather not pair social safety nets with your goddamn dangled heaven carrot.

Good grief. This is as much of a no-brainer, AND travesty of crybaby martyrs, as an American President promoting a Buy American campaign.