Stimulus Package Less Popular Everyday

I voted for Obama and I'm PISSED that he allowed the democratic congress to muck up the stimulus package with all the personal pork that they hid under their desks during the Bush administration.

Define that which you believe is pork, please.

I haven't seen such a bullshit spending plan since a cheerleader friend got her daddy's American Express card.

Specifically which spending is pork in your opinion?

Find the rest of the article in todays WSJ

On the tax-cut side, the Senate bill included a tax break worth up to $246 million over 11 years for outside investors in big-budget Hollywood movie projects. "Tax cuts for the wealthy" are okay – as long as the wealthy are making movies. But bad publicity and pork-busting Sen. Tom Coburn pressed the Senate (including 13 Democrats) to scrap the tax break.

The "green" lobby is thrown a pile of bones in the "stimulus" bill, including $10 million for bike and walking trails, $200 million for plug-in electric car stations, $400 million for climate change research by NASA scientists, $600 million to buy new "green" cars for government workers,...

I voted for Obama and I'm PISSED that he allowed the democratic congress to muck up the stimulus package with all the personal pork that they hid under their desks during the Bush administration.

I haven't seen such a bullshit spending plan since a cheerleader friend got her daddy's American Express card.

On the tax-cut side, the Senate bill included a tax break worth up to $246 million over 11 years for outside investors in big-budget Hollywood movie projects. "Tax cuts for the wealthy" are okay – as long as the wealthy are making movies. But bad publicity and pork-busting Sen. Tom Coburn pressed the Senate (including 13 Democrats) to scrap the tax break.

The "green" lobby is thrown a pile of bones in the "stimulus" bill, including $10 million for bike and walking trails, $200 million for plug-in electric car stations, $400 million for climate change research by NASA scientists, $600 million to buy new "green" cars for government workers,...

We're gone beyond tax and spend--now its borrow and spend. At least they wised up and are going to try to do it all at once under the quise of saving the economy. :lol:

Here's a thought...why don't we go to the actual proposed bailout items and decide for ourselves instead of counting on poltical hacks to give us our opinions?

Here's a link to the full text of the bill for those of you truly interested in what's being considered:

Bailout Bill: Full Text Of Plan

The previous president also won, and helped to create this mess, BO saying he won is hardly a worthwhile reason to allow a massive giveaway to left wing causes.

I'm just wondering when considering "create this mess," did the statute of limitations run out on Carter's signing the Community Reinvestment Act, on Clinton's HUD Secretary forcing banks to give undeserved loans, Chris Dodd on his sweetheart with Countrywide, and Barney Frank threatening Bush administration that they would be racist if they put more restrictions on home loans. These are crimes of commission. Bush's was a crime of omission.

Here's a thought...why don't we go to the actual proposed bailout items and decide for ourselves instead of counting on poltical hacks to give us our opinions?

Here's a link to the full text of the bill for those of you truly interested in what's being considered:

Bailout Bill: Full Text Of Plan

I certainly am glad that you linked the term 'political hacks' to the term to this bill, but the link you enclosed is dated September 28, 2008????

Are you suggesting that the items above are not in the stimulus bill, or is the attempt to have us read the 900 or so pages (at about $1 billion a page) an obfuscation?

The previous president also won, and helped to create this mess, BO saying he won is hardly a worthwhile reason to allow a massive giveaway to left wing causes.

I'm just wondering when considering "create this mess," did the statute of limitations run out on Carter's signing the Community Reinvestment Act, on Clinton's HUD Secretary forcing banks to give undeserved loans, Chris Dodd on his sweetheart with Countrywide, and Barney Frank threatening Bush administration that they would be racist if they put more restrictions on home loans. These are crimes of commission. Bush's was a crime of omission.
Obama was VERY fast to play the 'blame Bush' card.

Right now they are talking about cutting only 100 billion off the bloated 920 billion.

This is a disaster, the worst we have seen in our lifetime.

If you look at the thread where the alleged "pork" was outlined, not so much pork.

just a lot of right wingnut spin....

you know, they're going to go on an eight year witch hunt this time... just like they did with Clinton.

I respectfully disagree Jillian. I'll admit that my use of the term 'pork' may be out of line... Take the school lunch program in the bill - I won't go so far as to say it is 'pork', per se - it is actually a valid expenditure of The Peoples money, but it does NOT belong in the stimulus package. It is worthy of its own bill. The stimulus package needs to stand on its own merits of tax cuts and infrastructure spending.

-Joe
Well, passing a bill for each individual item that needs addressing would take about four years, don't you think? You want these kids to go hungry waiting while their parents are losing their jobs?

If you look at the thread where the alleged "pork" was outlined, not so much pork.

just a lot of right wingnut spin....

you know, they're going to go on an eight year witch hunt this time... just like they did with Clinton.

I respectfully disagree Jillian. I'll admit that my use of the term 'pork' may be out of line... Take the school lunch program in the bill - I won't go so far as to say it is 'pork', per se - it is actually a valid expenditure of The Peoples money, but it does NOT belong in the stimulus package. It is worthy of its own bill. The stimulus package needs to stand on its own merits of tax cuts and infrastructure spending.

-Joe
Well, passing a bill for each individual item that needs addressing would take about four years, don't you think? You want these kids to go hungry waiting while their parents are losing their jobs?

Now there's a good reason not to be careful about blowing billions--it takes too much time !:rolleyes:

I certainly am glad that you linked the term 'political hacks' to the term to this bill, but the link you enclosed is dated September 28, 2008????

Are you suggesting that the items above are not in the stimulus bill, or is the attempt to have us read the 900 or so pages (at about $1 billion a page) an obfuscation?

No it's just me trying to help us find the actual bill under consideration so we can think for ourselves instead of counting on talking heads who come at the issue with their own prejudices and biases.

It is far too easy to mischaracterize a bill's pupose or value by giving it an inflamatory or partial description.

Some of us, not a lot but at least some of us, I hope, are more interested in seeing what they're planning on spending money on than scoring poltical points.

If you're content leaving analysis to other people, fine, go with that.

But I'd like to see the specific wording for some of these things our government is planning on spending billions on.

I know that I cannot count on the honesty of the talking heads which pick and choose their issues, and then WORSE, they don't actually give us the exact wording of that aspect of the bill such that we can evaluate for ourselves whether or not we think that spending is a good thing.

If that more critical approach to evaluating this bill seems narfarious to you, what can I say except that I think you are setting yourself up to be manipulated and fooled.

No it's just me trying to help us find the actual bill under consideration so we can think for ourselves instead of counting on talking heads who come at the issue with their own prejudices and biases.

It is far too easy to mischaracterize a bill's pupose or value by giving it an inflamatory or partial description.

Some of us, not a lot but at least some of us, I hope, are more interested in seeing what they're planning on spending money on than scoring poltical points.

If you're content leaving analysis to other people, fine, go with that.

But I'd like to see the specific wording for some of these things our government is planning on spending billions on.

I know that I cannot count on the honesty of the talking heads which pick and choose their issues, and then WORSE, they don't actually give us the exact wording of that aspect of the bill such that we can evaluate for ourselves whether or not we think that spending is a good thing.

If that more critical approach to evaluating this bill seems narfarious to you, what can I say except that I think you are setting yourself up to be manipulated and fooled.

no worries---Obama has promised us that the final version of bills will be debated 5 days

Forum List

Back