Stimulus check madness

Sign it and cash it... then sign him up to vote for a democrat in the next election...

Ha!

It got sent back. I told my mother she should have deposited to his estate...but she's a little more honest than I am, I guess.

Actually, if his interest in the stimulus check vested while he was still alive, it might be appropriate to put the funds into the estate account. check with the estate attorney and/or tax attorney. so might not be an honesty issue...might be a throwing away money issue.

Hey, you're right, I just googled it. It should go to the estate. Ha, that should be fun getting it back.

I am extremely mad that I will not be getting a stimulus check even though I qualify to get one. Because my mom didn't understand the rules when she filed our taxes, she claimed me on hers and on mine as a depenant. In order for a depenant to qualify for the $300, you must be under 17 years old. I am 19. The IRS should have made this more clear so that the college age people, who are the ones who can use this money to help with college expenses and possibly help the economy, would get the money they deserve! If anyone knows any way that I can do something about it, please let me know!

I am extremely mad that I will not be getting a stimulus check even though I qualify to get one. Because my mom didn't understand the rules when she filed our taxes, she claimed me on hers and on mine as a depenant. In order for a depenant to qualify for the $300, you must be under 17 years old. I am 19. The IRS should have made this more clear so that the college age people, who are the ones who can use this money to help with college expenses and possibly help the economy, would get the money they deserve! If anyone knows any way that I can do something about it, please let me know!

Well, for one, if you're 19, and you can't be claimed as a dependent, file your own taxes. Second, it's not money you "deserve". You haven't earned it.. Third, your mother seems to be trying to rip the IRS off, since she's trying to claim you twice.

Save your own ass, contact the IRS, and get your taxes filed properly, because any interest you get charged for fucking up is going to likely be far and above that measly $300.

You also have to have a minimal tax liability. My 19 year old didn't qualify so I claimed him as a dependent on my wife's married but separate, got $300 for him and sent that to him....

For me, don't cry, I made too much to qualify!!! I got no rebate, but I paid over $30,000 in income taxes!!!!!

Well, for one, if you're 19, and you can't be claimed as a dependent, file your own taxes. Second, it's not money you "deserve". You haven't earned it.. Third, your mother seems to be trying to rip the IRS off, since she's trying to claim you twice.

Save your own ass, contact the IRS, and get your taxes filed properly, because any interest you get charged for fucking up is going to likely be far and above that measly $300.

If his mom is paying for his college and he's a full time student and she is also paying his room and board or he's living at home, then yes, he can be claimed as a dependent. In fact, you can claim any child under the age of 24 as a dependent if they lived with you/you provided for more than half their support, for more than five months AND they were a full time student.

As for his, she can't claim him as a dependent on BOTH??? Just one. Most computerized tax programs or any electronic filing will immediately kick the SECOND one received BACK on a SSN check. If manually filed using snail-mail then yes, the IRS is going to come hunting one or the other.....

Last edited:
If his mom is paying for his college and he's a full time student and she is also paying his room and board or he's living at home, then yes, he can be claimed as a dependent. In fact, you can claim any child under the age of 24 as a dependent if they lived with you/you provided for more than half their support, for more than five months AND they were a full time student.

Not if he/she is also claiming him/her self on his/her taxes. One or the other.

Not if he/she is also claiming him/her self on his/her taxes. One or the other.

True, thus the edit. IRS is going hunt one of them down....a big bill is coming in the mail to one or the other....probably the SECOND one to file as the IRS has a first come-first served in any dispute....and the second one has to file a legal claim to challenge....

True, thus the edit. IRS is going hunt one of them down....a big bill is coming in the mail to one or the other....probably the SECOND one to file as the IRS has a first come-first served in any dispute....and the second one has to file a legal claim to challenge....

I'm thinking they've already been found, since the IRS clearly states that if you owe any money, that stimulus check will be applied to such.. So, *technically*, they're getting their money. It's just going to pay bills, rather than to "stimulate" the economy. :D

If he's in college and living at home he can.

If you work and contribute, you deserve it. If you live at home and don't work, I'd say don't expect any money. Just my opinion.

Ah...my bad. "IF". Sorry about that.

Sounds like he IS in college, and IS living at home, and IS being claimed as a dependent. Twice. By his mother, AND by himself.

Doesn't fly no matter how you try to work it.

Forum List

Back