Still waiting

I keep asking and getting no answer. In fact usually after I ask the thread dies.

How are the Republicans blocking any legislation? In the house it takes 218 votes to pass a bill and there are 265 Democrats, in the Senate it takes 51 votes to pass a bill and the Democrats have 59 Senators and 2 more that are Independent that vote democratic.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Why would anyone attempt to answer a question that has a lie in it?

There are 58 Democratic Senators, not 59.

Ya cause 58 as opposed to 59 is so much more important you DUMB ASS. The Democrats have 60 votes with the 2 Independents that vote Democratic. They Republicans can not even filibuster with out their help. Much less stop 51 Senators from voting YES. Last I checked 58 plus 2 is still HIGHER then 51.

The only problem with using cloture is that the Senators have to vote on that too.

exactly. And you need 60 votes to stop debate and move the bill to a vote. Democrats cannot practically bring 60 votes to the floor, ergo, they cannot stop republicans from continuing to debate (filibuster).

Wait, let me get this right. When the Republicans had 55 Senators they RULED the Senate, according to you and other democrats. During the Bush years that was all we heard was that the Republicans ran everything. That everything was the fault of the Republicans. Now when the Democrats effectively have 60 votes not 55, they still get to blame the Republicans? Give it a break, you people are idiots and those that buy your nonsense are sheep.

You want it both ways. When Republicans are in charge it is their fault and when Democrats are in charge it is STILL the Republicans fault.

You dumb asses are looking just that, dumber and dumber every time you make these ridiculous claims.

bullshit. I NEVER said that the republicans RULED the Senate. And with Ted Kennedy effectively out of action, we do not have 60 votes....which was my point all along.

I have not, as a matter of fact, blamed the republicans for anything that has happened since Obama's inauguration.

And I have NOT suggested that republicans have blocked any legislation, although they certainly have the ability to, given the democrat's inability to bring a solid block of 60 senators to the floor.

I have not, as a matter of fact, blamed the republicans for anything that has happened since Obama's inauguration.
And after repeated requests, OP STILL can't produce any documentation that ANYONE is.

Just keep titlting at those windmills - and if you can't find any windmills to tilt at, PRETEND there is one there.

it would seem the democrats are blocking themselves......
It has been my experience that they do that quite a bit. They are a much more diverse group than Republicans, so it is a lot harder to get a group of Democrats to agree than it is to get a group of Republicans to agree.

I can only imagine the difficulties in getting a southern blue dog like a heath shular to agree with a San Fran liberal on all the details. Gotta be tough.

What's been blocked?

sCHIPS? No. That passed.

The Stimulus Bill? No. That passed.

Justice Sotomayor is on the Court.

Budget resolutions have passed, the Cap and Trade passed the House and is waiting for the Senate...

The House will vote and pass a HC proposal in early September. And I think that if there is a threat of Republican filibuster on HC you will see Ted Kennedy return to the floor of the Senate to invoke cloture, so the only thing that needs doing in the Senate is getting all of the Democrats to agree just like they did in the House.

I can't think of a GOP "win" legislatively in recent memory.

So, again, what has been blocked?

it would seem the democrats are blocking themselves......
It has been my experience that they do that quite a bit. They are a much more diverse group than Republicans, so it is a lot harder to get a group of Democrats to agree than it is to get a group of Republicans to agree.

I can only imagine the difficulties in getting a southern blue dog like a heath shular to agree with a San Fran liberal on all the details. Gotta be tough.
they could lose about 40 and still be able to pass it in the house
there arent as many "blue dogs" in the senate

Well, I used Blue Dogs and the San Fran liberal just as examples of the wide diversity and the difficulty in getting them all on the same page in general terms. I didn't mean to refer to how things are lining up on healthcare specifically, but that's certainly the big issue right now.

I personally hope they do all they can to incorporate Blue Dog ideas. I just think we'd wind up with a better piece of legislation if you can find a way to incorporate the fiscal restraint of the Blue Dogs.

What's been blocked?

sCHIPS? No. That passed.

Budget resolutions have passed, the Cap and Trade passed the House and is waiting for the Senate...

The House will vote and pass a HC proposal in early September. And I think that if there is a threat of Republican filibuster on HC you will see Ted Kennedy return to the floor of the Senate to invoke cloture, so the only thing that needs doing in the Senate is getting all of the Democrats to agree just like they did in the House.

no kidding
the GOP is powerless to do anything
not that they actually had the BALLS to do it when they DID have the power

Well, I used Blue Dogs and the San Fran liberal just as examples of the wide diversity and the difficulty in getting them all on the same page in general terms. I didn't mean to refer to how things are lining up on healthcare specifically, but that's certainly the big issue right now.

I personally hope they do all they can to incorporate Blue Dog ideas. I just think we'd wind up with a better piece of legislation if you can find a way to incorporate the fiscal restraint of the Blue Dogs.
i dont see how they can do what Obama wants and satisfy the conservative blue dogs
but in the house they dont even need the blue dogs, unless i'm wrong on how many there are

I keep asking and getting no answer. In fact usually after I ask the thread dies.

How are the Republicans blocking any legislation? In the house it takes 218 votes to pass a bill and there are 265 Democrats, in the Senate it takes 51 votes to pass a bill and the Democrats have 59 Senators and 2 more that are Independent that vote democratic.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Ya cause 58 as opposed to 59 is so much more important you DUMB ASS. The Democrats have 60 votes with the 2 Independents that vote Democratic. They Republicans can not even filibuster with out their help. Much less stop 51 Senators from voting YES. Last I checked 58 plus 2 is still HIGHER then 51.

Yes, it is important. Because the 58+2 means they need every single democrat to agree on something, not easy when you have conservative democrats like Ben Nelson. An extra democratic senator would provide significantly more breathing room for them. However thats not the case, and I fail to see why any of your "gotcha" style questions should be treated with any seriousness, if you can't even correctly determine the number of democratic senators.

Yes, it is important. Because the 58+2 means they need every single democrat to agree on something, not easy when you have conservative democrats like Ben Nelson. An extra democratic senator would provide significantly more breathing room for them. However thats not the case, and I fail to see why any of your "gotcha" style questions should be treated with any seriousness, if you can't even correctly determine the number of democratic senators.

math is HARD for jarheads

STILL waiting for you to explain how with 55 votes the republicans RAN the show for 5 years according to you but now with 60 the democrats can not manage it. That was one of your claims, that since the republicans had a majority of 55 to 45 in the Senate nothing got done without their approval. Now suddenly with 60 votes the democrats can not even avoid a filibuster somehow much less actually pass a bill. At least according to you.

Ohh and since you are back, mind explaining how Iraq manages to survive with out US ground troops doing the fighting? How it has not dropped into a civil war like you insisted it would, how the mullahs do not yet run the Country or how Iran is not pulling the strings? All claims you made about Iraq.

The point he is making leftist losers is that The Republicans can block nothing upon which the Democrats are wholly united. Further, If the plan is so lousy that they can't even get all the Democrats behind it why bother with it in the first place?

What's been blocked?

sCHIPS? No. That passed.

no kidding

Not since Reagan. It sucks.

STILL waiting for you to explain how with 55 votes the republicans RAN the show for 5 years according to you but now with 60 the democrats can not manage it. That was one of your claims, that since the republicans had a majority of 55 to 45 in the Senate nothing got done without their approval. Now suddenly with 60 votes the democrats can not even avoid a filibuster somehow much less actually pass a bill. At least according to you.

Ohh and since you are back, mind explaining how Iraq manages to survive with out US ground troops doing the fighting? How it has not dropped into a civil war like you insisted it would, how the mullahs do not yet run the Country or how Iran is not pulling the strings? All claims you made about Iraq.

still waiting for you to show where I EVER said that the republicans RAN the show for five years with 55 votes.

I have NEVER said that democrats cannot pass a bill... clearly, they have passed many... the stimulus bill and the budget being two that passed with almost ZERO republican support.

It seems to me that violence in the cities of Iraq has been on the rise since the withdrawal of American troops.... or maybe Rush doesn't mention that. Our troops are still IN Iraq, by the way. My worry was ALWAYS that Iraq would devolve into civil war AFTER our departure... and my worry was ALWAYS that Iranian shiites would be a greater influence over Iraq than we would be AFTER our departure.

IMHO: The only ways the GOP can really block any legislation at this point is to either 1) try to bottle it up in a committee where they may get some help from more conservative democrats, 2) if the Democrats are really intent on getting some GOP input and compromise which Republicans can refuse to offer, or 3) by traveling out of district to disrupt public discussions on legislation.

Are they doing all of these - some argue yes, some argue no.

But when all is said and done Democrats have the mandate and the votes right now.

Well......ROTFLMAO!!!!
Since when do GOP Senators and House members go other districts and disrupt town hall meetings? All I have seen is Democrat Congresspeople making complete ASSES out of themselves since the beginning of recess.

How the fuck does the Republicans refusing to comprimise with Democrats block legislation? THE DEMOCRATS STILL HAVE THE MAJORITY !!!!!

Stop drinking that Georgia "brake fluid"......that shit will kill you.

.....and Barney Frank is the only Democrat with a man date at this time.:razz:

The point he is making leftist losers is that The Republicans can block nothing upon which the Democrats are wholly united. Further, If the plan is so lousy that they can't even get all the Democrats behind it why bother with it in the first place?

I don't think health insurance coverage is a lousy start to reform at all. But I think the timing is bad. That, as I see it, is the primary objection by both parties and probably why it will indeed fail. I hate to say this, but I feel the only way it will get passed is on a sympathy vote should Ted Kennedy die.

What's been blocked?

sCHIPS? No. That passed.

no kidding

Not since Reagan. It sucks.

I'm sure the Republicans sorely miss Tom DeLay and his arm-twisting methods.

Forum List

Back