Still waiting

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
I keep asking and getting no answer. In fact usually after I ask the thread dies.

How are the Republicans blocking any legislation? In the house it takes 218 votes to pass a bill and there are 265 Democrats, in the Senate it takes 51 votes to pass a bill and the Democrats have 59 Senators and 2 more that are Independent that vote democratic.

Can anyone explain this to me?

I keep asking and getting no answer. In fact usually after I ask the thread dies.

How are the Republicans blocking any legislation? In the house it takes 218 votes to pass a bill and there are 265 Democrats, in the Senate it takes 51 votes to pass a bill and the Democrats have 59 Senators and 2 more that are Independent that vote democratic.

The Obamabots and blind Democrats cannot answer this. Sorry to disappoint you, but they don't use logic.

i've asked it too
no one can answer it

or rather, no one is willing to try

I am not sure, I don't have that much knowledge of how political descisions are made in USA...

But I can guess! Maybe if some of republicans trick enough democrats to vote "wrong"...
Then theese rebublicans ARE blocking legislation, arn't they?

IMHO: The only ways the GOP can really block any legislation at this point is to either 1) try to bottle it up in a committee where they may get some help from more conservative democrats, 2) if the Democrats are really intent on getting some GOP input and compromise which Republicans can refuse to offer, or 3) by traveling out of district to disrupt public discussions on legislation.

Are they doing all of these - some argue yes, some argue no.

But when all is said and done Democrats have the mandate and the votes right now.

I don't think the Republicans are blocking the HC legislation.

The status quo POLS of both parties blocking the legislation.

I'm kind of glad about that, but for reasons that are probably very different than your reason for hoping this legislation fails to pass.

the question presumes that either party is monolithic and homogenous which is certainly false. The question does not address healthcare specifically, so neither will I.

In general, because of the practical fact that the democrats cannot easily bring 60 united senators to the floor, republicans can stop nearly any bill from proceeding to a vote simply by using the cloture rules.

your wait is over.

I am not sure, I don't have that much knowledge of how political descisions are made in USA...

But I can guess! Maybe if some of republicans trick enough democrats to vote "wrong"...

No the republicans cannot block anything. If the democrats were "tricked", it's still the democrats vote that would block it , not the republicans.

Perhaps you should stay out of our politics until you learn how the system works.

No the republicans cannot block anything. If the democrats were "tricked", it's still the democrats vote that would block it , not the republicans.

Actually ANY vote against a measure - no matter WHO casts it - is part of the block.

And I agree with maineman - to assume all members of a political party always vote as a block makes this question hypothethical trivia. Traditionally Republicans are more homogenous than Democrats because Democrats in general are a much more diverse group of people.

I think the attempt to label and pigeon hole people into groups may be convenient in that you don't have to actually get to know an individual before you "pass judgement." But it is counter-productive in very many ways.

Last edited:

Perhaps you should stay out of our politics until you learn how the system works.

Yep. Had to try though.

Here's how it works. Most Democrats are weak minded. Because of this, the Republicans can use their Jedi powers to control how and what the Democrats think. Next up: Legislation to control using Jedi powers.

Obviously, the Republicans are not able to block this legislation, although they would if they could. The fact is that the leadership of the Democratic Party is so out of step with the rest of the country, including many independents and even some rank and file Democrats, that they can't grasp the fact that while the American people approve of the stated goals of health care reform, reining in health care costs and increasing affordable access to health insurance, that there is strong grass roots opposition to the high cost of the ideas they have put forward, the ideological content of the House bill, public plan and emphasis on end of life counseling, and the ham fisted way in which they have tried to push their bills through Congress before voters have had a chance to fully consider them, as well as the anti business class warfare rhetoric they have used to try to rally support, so all they can do is whimper irrationally that the Republicans did it.

The fact is that if the Democratic leadership had sought consensus on health insurance reform instead of trying to use the issue to achieve a victory over Republicans that would carry them to victory in the 2010 elections, we would be well on our way to achieving the stated goals of reining in health care costs and increasing affordable access to health insurance by now.

The fact is that if the Democratic leadership had sought consensus on health insurance reform instead of trying to use the issue to achieve a victory over Republicans that would carry them to victory in the 2010 elections, we would be well on our way to achieving the stated goals of reining in health care costs and increasing affordable access to health insurance by now.

I believe many in the far left of the Democratic party are more interested in beating down Republicans because they feel like they were treated that way under Republican majorities and now it is THEIR turn. I don't think that produces good government.

But I also recall may instances of Republicans refusing several invitations to sit down and work out compromises. They prefer to "just say no" and hope legislation does not achieve its intended goals so they can try to use THAT in their 2010/2012 campaigns. That's not good government either.

As usual - you only find spin, empty rhetoric, political thetatre, and very little good government on the extreme ends of EITHER side. Trying to place blame on the other side rather than trying to work together to fix problems is just bad policy.

Last edited:

Actually ANY vote against a measure - no matter WHO casts it - is part of the block.

And I agree with maineman - to assume all members of a political party always vote as a block makes this question hypothethical trivia. Traditionally Republicans are more homogenous than Democrats because Democrats in general are a much more diverse group of people.

I think the attempt to label and pigeon hole people into groups may be convenient in that you don't have to actually get to know an individual before you "pass judgement." But it is counter-productive in very many ways.

Do you have any evidence to support this claim?

"Traditionally Republicans are more homogenous than Democrats because Democrats in general are a much more diverse group of people. "

"Traditionally Republicans are more homogenous than Democrats because Democrats in general are a much more diverse group of people. "
Is THIS the statement you are asking for documentation to support?

if so:

http://people-press.org/commentary/?analysisid=95

http://www.nd.edu/~cwolbrec/PartyID.pdf

http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/0/9/7/6/6/pages97663/p97663-64.php

http://www.gallup.com/poll/118937/republican-base-heavily-white-conservative-religious.aspx

Last edited:

Why would anyone attempt to answer a question that has a lie in it?

There are 58 Democratic Senators, not 59.

[No the republicans cannot block anything.

without sixty democratic senators present and voting, they most certainly CAN.

All they need is 51 votes(if it's considered after Oct. 15). And how many senators are democrats? Do the math. The republicans are not even a factor and if you think they are, then you as stupid as you look. The dems have a fillibuster proof majority. Even if all the republicans vote against the measure it can still be passed.

Forum List

Back