Still Like Democracy?

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
The recent blowup about Arizona law has really pissed some people off but what if I were to tell you that it was 'will of the people' since 70% of Arizonians support. That alone should justify taking away the supposed rights of others (Idon't believe it does but I'm just saying so for arguments sake). Those that oppose this will probably try to stop it with the constitution at which point we will have to consider if the constitution is 'democratic' since it can possibly veto the 'will of the people' in order to protect someone's rights.

This is why the founders never believed in democracy since it can not protect the rights of any individual or the minority of voters. We can't have democracy and a republic at the same time since one will eat away at the other. A republic will kill the 'will of the people' with the constitution while a democracy will devour any constitutional protections of an individual's liberty in the name of 'will of the people'.

This whole problem would not even be a problem if the Federal government would enforce their own laws and protect the border.

• Banned
This whole problem would not even be a problem if the Federal government would enforce their own laws and protect the border.

I wanted to show the left that democracy and the glorious 'will of the people' is not a good tool for protecting someone's natural rights or their civil rights.

What if 70% of the people agreed to respect their neighbors pursuit of life, liberty and happiness even if they, as individuals, found their neighbors course of pursuit offensive in some way?

Could democracy work if it were tempered with actual freedom?

• Banned
What if 70% of the people agreed to respect their neighbors pursuit of life, liberty and happiness even if they, as individuals, found their neighbors course of pursuit offensive in some way?

Could democracy work if it were tempered with actual freedom?

In theory, but that is like saying what if we had a dictatorship that did the same thing? It could work in theory but won't since dictators tend not to respect the freedom of his subjects. People voting in masses will tell each other that their actions are correct and as long as their rights are respected they might not care as much about the effect their voting has on the rights of others.

I'm positive that the lawyers of AZ and those who I'm sure Gov. Brewer looked to for advice, covered ALL bases! The feds can try to demonize this and so can the pro-illegal orgs - but - I'm sure it was done LEGALLY! If racial profiling is their only problem, they will have to wait and PROVE that profiling took place. The hysteria is being caused by the far-left and the dems for political sake. Politicians on both sides of the isle love to pander for votes and this is what is happening now - as misguided as it might be.

Forum List

Back