Steven Spielberg's movie about Lincoln is pure bullshit !!!!!!!

(Or, How a Real Statesman Would Have Ended Slavery)
by Thomas J. DiLorenzo

"Every other country in the world got rid of slavery without a civil war . . . . How much would that cost compared to killing 600,000 Americans when the hatred lingered for 100 years."

~ Ron Paul to Tim Russert on "Meet the Press" in 2007

The new Steven Spielberg movie about Lincoln is entirely based on a fiction, to use a mild term. As longtime Ebony magazine executive editor Lerone Bennett, Jr. explained in his book, Forced into Glory: Abraham Lincoln’s White Dream: "There is a pleasant fiction that Lincoln . . . became a flaming advocate of the [Thirteenth] amendment and used the power of his office to buy votes to ensure its passage. There is no evidence, as David H. Donald has noted, to support that fiction". (Emphasis added).

In fact, as Bennett shows, it was the genuine abolitionists in Congress who forced Lincoln to support the Thirteenth Amendment that ended slavery, something he refused to do for fifty-four of his fifty-six years. The truth, in other words, is precisely the opposite of the story told in Spielberg’s Lincoln movie, which is based on the book Team of Rivals by the confessed plagiarist/court historian Doris Kearns-Goodwin. (My LRC review of her book was entitled "A Plagiarist’s Contribution to Lincoln Idolatry").

LOL, even though historians are saying it's a master-piece and right on, we should listen to another Ron Paul douche bag analysis!

The situation was 100s of times more complex than simply slavery. What it really came down to was preserving the union at all costs. You know, violent conflict to unite. Much like fucking for chastity

$10 says that the movie has nothing about him being one of the worst Presidents who butchered the constitution

I have found people who parrot things like this generally know very little of the man.

Are you saying he did not brutally violate the constitution? Suspend the constitution to fit his needs??

He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. He just wants to be a contrarian.

Linclon, like most White Americans at the time, were pure racist.

Complete bullshit.

"I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong."

Letter by Abraham Lincoln to Albert Hodges

Nope, it's not. He was having somewhat a change of heart after seeing how the Blacks performed in the Army, but for most of his life he most certainly was.

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”

by:

Abraham Lincoln

Historians praise its accuracy, but if you say it's pure BS, they must all be wrong.

Which historians?

Lerone Bennet, an Afro-American , historian also agrees that the movie is pure bullshit

"
Historian Brian Dirck states that "Few Civil War scholars take Bennett ... seriously"

Other historians have their say on Bennett's work:

Lincoln the Devil

Eric Foner: American Historian

The Claremont Institute - Forced into Gory Lincoln Revisionism

From one of my previous links, this is the guy Comatose is using as a great historian to back up that 'Lincoln shit'

::

"Where to begin?

Never has so much been so wrong about so important a subject. The only way to misrepresent Lincoln more would be to misspell his name. Add to this Bennett's denigration of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Booker T. Washington, Winston Churchill, Ronald Reagan, and conservatism generally, along with frequent references to Lincoln's endorsement of "ethnic cleansing" and a "final solution" to the race problem, and his diatribe becomes almost impossible to take seriously.

Bennett allows Lincoln's rivals to second-guess Lincoln's own explanations for what he was attempting to do as president of a republic during a rebellion. Bennett's attempt to understand Lincoln's principles and policies on American slavery falters on so many fronts that it would be impossible to document all his errors. Given constraints of space, I will focus on the greatest misunderstandings, especially as they pertain to the American form and the practice of self-government"

Damn. That's harsh.

The Claremont Institute - Forced into Gory Lincoln Revisionism

Wow. That link is one of the most twisted gyrations of historical revisionism and logical fallacies I have seen in some time.

As if the South was ever going to end slavery peacefully. Yeah, right. I want what that dumb shit is smoking.

as if the o/p would ever use a legitimate source. lol.

Identify any "legitimate" souce which provides historical facts contradicting mssgrs Lorenzo and Bennett.

Wow. That link is one of the most twisted gyrations of historical revisionism and logical fallacies I have seen in some time.

As if the South was ever going to end slavery peacefully. Yeah, right. I want what that dumb shit is smoking.

as if the o/p would ever use a legitimate source. lol.

Identify any "legitimate" souce which provides historical facts contradicting mssgrs Lorenzo and Bennett.

Just did.

:lol:

Strange, I don't see anything about slavery here.

Whereas, The laws of the United States have been for some time past and now are opposed, and the execution thereof obstructed, in the States of South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, by combinations too powerful to be suppressed by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, or by the powers vested in the Marshals by law :

Now, therefore, I, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, President of the United States, in virtue of the power in me vested by the Constitution and the laws, have thought fit to call forth, and hereby do call forth, the Militia of the several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of 75,000, in order to suppress said combinations, and to cause the laws to be duly executed. The details for this object will be immediately communicated to the State authorities through the War Department.

I appeal to all loyal citizens to favor, facilitate, and aid this effort to maintain the honor, the integrity, and the existence of our National Union and the perpetuity of popular government, and to redress wrongs already long enough endured.

I deem it proper to say that the first service assigned to the force hereby called forth will probably be to repossess the forts, places, and property which have been seized from the Union, and, in every event, the utmost care will be observed, consistently with the objects aforesaid, to avoid any devastation, any destruction of, or interference with property, or any disturbance of peaceful citizens in any part of the country; and I hereby command the persons composing the combinations aforesaid to disperse and retire peaceably to their respective abodes within twenty days from this date.

Deeming that the present condition of public affairs presents an extraordinary occasion, I do, hereby, in virtue of the power in me vested by the Constitution, convene both Houses of Congress. The Senators and Representatives are therefore summoned to assemble at their respective chambers at twelve o'clock, noon, on Thursday, the fourth day of July next, then and there to consider and determine such measures as, in their wisdom, the public safety and interest may seem to demand.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand, and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this fifteenth day of April, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-one, and of the independence of the United States the eighty-fifth.

You are being typically selective.

You, too, need to read the declarations of secession. The rebel states clearly stated they were leaving over slavery. They left no shadow of a doubt.

You also need to read the letter Lincoln wrote to Albert Hodges to which I linked above. In that letter it becomes crystal clear Lincoln is stating the war is about slavery.

Despite his absolute detestation of slavery, keeping the country together had to take precedence.

Can I point out the obvious here?

A declaration of secession is not a declaration of war. I posted the Declaration of War published on behalf of the Northern States, feel free to point out where it discusses slavery to prove me wrong. In the meantime, I will stick to my position that the North did not go to war over slavery.

The cause of the war was slavery. Every issue came down to a conflict with either the slave race or slave labor: every issue.

Lincoln proposed to his cabinet that he would co-opt the end of slavery in the summer of 1862 (1) to deny slave labor to the Confederates, (2) to coerce slave owners back into the Union, and (3) to keep France and England from recognizing the South.

Once he issued the Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln became a total proponent of ending slavery, for he recognized correctly that for America to survive slavery had to die.

No historian of major recognition would disagree with this, and would call the arguments of some like Contumacious the arguments of a "mere poseur."

Can I point out the obvious here?

A declaration of secession is not a declaration of war. I posted the Declaration of War published on behalf of the Northern States, feel free to point out where it discusses slavery to prove me wrong. In the meantime, I will stick to my position that the North did not go to war over slavery.

A declaration of secession is treason...and is a declaration of war.

it doesn't need to state it was about slavery.. it was clearly about slavery.

don't be obtuse.

Heck, slaves have certainly had their revenge....................

Endless reparations, third world policies, ghetto crime, rampant drug use, and guilt ridden white liberals to kiss their ass at every turn...............IMPRESSIVE

i think abraham lincoln vampire killer was 100% accurate.

I wish I could rep you for this!

I haven't watched it yet, but after seeing the previews, I think I'm going to! And there's one with Zombies, too!!!

Tooooooo funnnnnnyyyy...love that sort of schtick.:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I truly mourn the loss of your rep capabilities.

The fact that Southern States seceded over slavery in no way proves that the Northern States fought over slavery. Unless, of course, you think we fought WWII because Germany was being oppressed by Europe.

Jesus this is some fucked up illogic.

The southern states left to preserve slavery. So obviously the war was about slavery, dipshit. If there was no slavery, there was no war.

Before the war: slavery. After the war: no slavery.

Tell you what, why don't you show me where North Carolina declared that slavery was a reason for secession. In fact, why don't you show me where that can be said about Florida, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri, and Kentucky.

Alternatively, you could stop cherry picking facts.

Forum List

Back