Steve Jobs the Book

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
I'm 300 pages into the Steve Jobs book and so far, from all I gathered, my original opinion of him is pretty much the same, in that his ability to market Apple in such a way as to create a need was his main claim to fame. It does paint a picture of a rather immature man who if he didn't get his way was prone to tears, outbursts of anger, and just downright tantrums. All that said though even after 300 pages you get the sense the man was smart enough to surround himself with a team of people who were committed to make it the best. If people can take away anything from the life of Steve Jobs , it's prehaps that the when people work together to accomplish something look how much they can do.

I'm 300 pages into the Steve Jobs book and so far, from all I gathered, my original opinion of him is pretty much the same, in that his ability to market Apple in such a way as to create a need was his main claim to fame. It does paint a picture of a rather immature man who if he didn't get his way was prone to tears, outbursts of anger, and just downright tantrums. All that said though even after 300 pages you get the sense the man was smart enough to surround himself with a team of people who were committed to make it the best. If people can take away anything from the life of Steve Jobs , it's prehaps that the when people work together to accomplish something look how much they can do.

Haven't even got a copy but I will. I have quite a long reading list at the moment. To which, I have just added 'Killing Lincoln'.

Haven't even got a copy but I will. I have quite a long reading list at the moment. To which, I have just added 'Killing Lincoln'.

Tha's Bill O's new book right? have not heard much about it, but this one really paints a very real picture of Steve Jobs. Whats really striking is the number of people there who gave up early and where they would be now had they hung on. As well where origins of such things as the software actually came from. There's an actual quote in the book, and I'm paraphrasing here, where he mentions about great things being stolen.

Tha's Bill O's new book right? have not heard much about it, but this one really paints a very real picture of Steve Jobs. Whats really striking is the number of people there who gave up early and where they would be now had they hung on. As well where origins of such things as the software actually came from. There's an actual quote in the book, and I'm paraphrasing here, where he mentions about great things being stolen.

Yea, it's Bill's new one. My brother has it - I shall steal his copy when his back is turned. LOL.

I do have a lot of respect for Jobs. Apple wouldn't have survived without him... but surrounding yourself with smart people is good business. But I find it somewhat puzzling that the same people who weep and wail about Jobs are the same people who mock Hermain Cain. Weird.

Yea, it's Bill's new one. My brother has it - I shall steal his copy when his back is turned. LOL.

I do have a lot of respect for Jobs. Apple wouldn't have survived without him... but surrounding yourself with smart people is good business. But I find it somewhat puzzling that the same people who weep and wail about Jobs are the same people who mock Hermain Cain. Weird.

I have to admit, the only Apple product I use is the iPhone I was given as a gift and to be quite honest, it's hard for me to justify at least when it comes to their computers the high cost for the performance.

I am about 75 pages into it.
What I have taken away so far was an excellent point made by his father:
That the problem of our education system is that the entire system is centered around students memorizing things...instead of creating things.
Jobs and Woz both become monster innovators because their two fathers gave them space in their garages and encouraged them to do whatever interested them - and provided them the tools and supplies to do it. They spent their teen years building wacky electronic devices to play pranks on people - in the process they both learned a great deal about electronics and design.

I am about 75 pages into it.
What I have taken away so far was an excellent point made by his father:
That the problem of our education system is that the entire system is centered around students memorizing things...instead of creating things.
Jobs and Woz both become monster innovators because their two fathers gave them space in their garages and encouraged them to do whatever interested them - and provided them the tools and supplies to do it. They spent their teen years building wacky electronic devices to play pranks on people - in the process they both learned a great deal about electronics and design.

Good point, I don't know if you have gotten this far, but you will find Steve Jobs at least in my opinion was greatly influenced by his father and at times in his life you can see where he really sought his approval.

teaching kids to imagine is what education is about.

We have distroyed our education system by pretending our kids are not worth the effort and cost

teaching kids to imagine is what education is about.

We have distroyed our education system by pretending our kids are not worth the effort and cost

Truth, you won't get any disagreement from me when it comes to the state of our education system. A bad education and bad eductors, not only do do a disservice to our young, but it also does the same thing to the nation as whole. I'm just about finished with the book and can tell you when it come's to Steve Job's, one of the things you take away from it is the area in which he grew up was so populated with highly educated people, engineers of all types, etc. and being exposed to that type of atmosphere in my opinion had a big influence on him and many others.

Amazing story.
I don't believe there is a person in the last 1000 years who, in almost every way, was such a study in contrast...

An indisputable genius/ mind-numbing poor decision maker.
One of the greatest "idea man" of all time/one of the worst "idea man" of all time.
Emotional/emotionless
No one besides maybe Henry Ford could get a group of people to produce so much in a short time/ yet he himself held up productivity to the point of madness.
Fantastic designer/products often failed due to poor design

I could go on. It is truly fascinating to read this man's story. This guy could employ an entire floor of psychiatrist for generations to try and explain his psychological makeup.

Amazing

New Topics

Forum List

Back