Steve Jobs resigns

Discussion in 'Computers' started by iamwhatiseem, Aug 24, 2011.

1. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    Say what you will about Apple.
    The man had a dream...and he by God accomplished it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    yup, he certainly left his mark, he understood like few, appeal thru design, simplification, functionality and packaging.....and, a college drop out...;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    He did it his way and fought the big dragon and survived. Not sure if anyone else could have done what it takes for Apple to survive this long. I daresay that it might not be long before it joins other companies in the tech graveyard.

4. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    Yep...if Jobs would not have flipped the bird to IBM so long ago...Microsoft would likely not have gotten beyond DOS. Course...if it wasn't for Gates and crew stealing the graphical interface from Lisa...they wouldn't have gotten beyond DOS when they did either.

5. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    I highly doubt that.
    Macs have an almost cult-like following.
    Question is - will their unique innovation continue?
    Let's all hope so, as well as hoping the continued slow but sure growth of Linux on the desktop.

6. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,350
    Steve Jobs has been one of those figurative 'rags to riches' national icons. In 1976, when Jobs was 21, he and Stephen Wozniak started Apple Computers in the Jobs family garage. They funded their visionary venture after Jobs sold his Volkswagen bus and Wozniak sold his beloved scientific calculator.

There are probably thousands of similar stories that didn't not turn out so phenomenally, but hats off to those willing to take that kind of risk.

And prayers and best wishes to Jobs who continues to fight pancreatic cancer.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    Aye...Jobs was the "anti-Gates"...not to say Jobs and Woz never "borrowed" code - cause they did, at the beginning. But for the most part Jobs invented/slaved/dared and practically slaved to produce what Apple became.
    Bill Gates...stole/pirated/lied and bought his way to build Microsoft.
    Where Jobs's ambition was clearly to produce a great product...Gates just wanted to make as much money as he could with as little improvements he could get by with and still call it a "new" product.

8. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,350
    I'm sorry, but, due to one of those wierd circusmtances, I had a chance to meet Bill Gates in person, I found him to be a thoroughly genuine and personable man. You may hate Microsoft products--I have had my run in with them too--but Gates took a wild, speculative idea and turned it into useful products and innovations and went on to make computers sufficiently simple and inexpensive to be useful to countless millions of tech dunces like me. While Steve Jobs also has earned my admiration, he does not have a product that most people can afford.

Gates has probably created more millionaires than any other enterprise has done, has created millions of jobs, more than many national economies, and opened up a whole new world to so many. For the last three years Bill and Melinda Gates have contributed a considerable chunk of their accumulated fortune and spend a great deal of time and effort working their Gates Foundation. It is doing a better job than any government contributions have ever done to help some of the world's poorest people mechanize and begin moving into the modern world. It is a pretty amazing thing.

Steve Jobs has also contributed so much more to the world in possibilities and opportunities than he took out of it, he also is worthy of admiration and appreciation.

Different men. Different styles. Different products. But the efforts of both have made the world a better, more interesting place than it was.

9. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,120
    I wonder if his resignation letter said "iQuit"?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    AAPL down 5.09% in after hours