Stephen Fincher for Congress?

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.
I was directed to this on Twitter, by Matt Yglesias, whose comment was:

"If I'm reading his bio correctly, Rep Fincher's livelihood derives almost exclusively from farm subsidies": Stephen Fincher for Congress - About Stephen

Stephen Fincher, 37, is a managing partner in Fincher Farms, a West Tennessee based business farming cotton, corn, soybeans and wheat. Stephen has been a farmer in the family business his entire life, and lives in the Frog Jump community of Crockett County beside his father and brother.

At the age of nine, Stephen joined the singing ministry started by his grandmother, "The Fincher Family". The Finchers sing at over 100 events annually, including church events, weddings, funerals and benefit events for various community, civic and charitable causes. The Finchers have performed at over 2,000 community events in the last decade or so, almost all in the Eighth Congressional District.

Stephen has served as President of Alamo Dixie Youth Baseball and Crockett County Dixie Youth Baseball, as Chairman of the Board of the PPR Committee at Archer's Chapel United Methodist Church, and as President of United Methodist Men.

Stephen has raised money for dozens of community organizations and causes, including the Methodist Church, Dixie Youth Baseball, NOAH, Relay for Life, The Carl Perkins Child Abuse Center, as well as many events for individuals or families in need. He is Life Member of the NRA, and a member of Ducks Unlimited.

Stephen and his wife of 19 years, Lynn, have three children: John Austin, 14; Noah, 11; and Sarah, 7. They live in the Frog Jump community near Halls and are active in Archer's Chapel Methodist Church.

Looks like Matt is correct. How do you 'conservatives' feel about another Bachmannesque candidate who is feeding at the public trough while (presumably) running as a free market blah, blah, blah?

GOP congressmen beg for stimulus... while condemning stimulus

Perhaps not new or unusual, but another example to throw on the pile: Sam Stein tells the story of a bit of government "pork" that was about to be cut, until freshman GOP congressman Stephen Fincher (R-TN) intervened on behalf of the project (one example among many, in the story:) On March 8, 2011, Gannett news service reported that the funding for Cates Landing was being targeted by lawmakers looking to slash the federal budget. The same day that report came out, Fincher spoke directly with Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood about the funds. The next day, he wrote a follow-up letter seeking assistance in "obligating" the $13 million grant for the port. [...]
"We just wanted to make sure that we could do everything possible to create jobs, and this was a part we could play and I did everything I could and we were successful," the congressman declared a few days later to reporters, onlookers and fellow lawmakers, at an event praising the incoming funds.

Two days after writing LaHood, Fincher voted for the a Republican House budget that cut billions of dollars, including from many other transportation priorities. His office put out a press release scolding "out of control" and "reckless" federal spending. [...]

As for the why: "He believes government does play a role in creating an environment that attracts private investment and job growth. This project does exactly that," [a Fincher spokesperson] said. "It is very important for Tennessee's economy and for the country's economy. So it was absolutely worthwhile."

Such an explanation sounds like something out of the mouth of a Keynesian economist, rather than the musings of a congressman who proudly touts his support from the Tea Party movement. But Fincher is hardly alone. A Freedom of Information Act request of the communications between freshmen House members and federal agencies reveals that, in private, GOP lawmakers have pressed for tens of millions of dollars in federal help for their districts, even while decrying federal spending in front of the national press corps.

*snip*

I was directed to this on Twitter, by Matt Yglesias, whose comment was:

"If I'm reading his bio correctly, Rep Fincher's livelihood derives almost exclusively from farm subsidies": Stephen Fincher for Congress - About Stephen

Stephen Fincher, 37, is a managing partner in Fincher Farms, a West Tennessee based business farming cotton, corn, soybeans and wheat. Stephen has been a farmer in the family business his entire life, and lives in the Frog Jump community of Crockett County beside his father and brother.

At the age of nine, Stephen joined the singing ministry started by his grandmother, "The Fincher Family". The Finchers sing at over 100 events annually, including church events, weddings, funerals and benefit events for various community, civic and charitable causes. The Finchers have performed at over 2,000 community events in the last decade or so, almost all in the Eighth Congressional District.

Stephen has served as President of Alamo Dixie Youth Baseball and Crockett County Dixie Youth Baseball, as Chairman of the Board of the PPR Committee at Archer's Chapel United Methodist Church, and as President of United Methodist Men.

Stephen has raised money for dozens of community organizations and causes, including the Methodist Church, Dixie Youth Baseball, NOAH, Relay for Life, The Carl Perkins Child Abuse Center, as well as many events for individuals or families in need. He is Life Member of the NRA, and a member of Ducks Unlimited.

Stephen and his wife of 19 years, Lynn, have three children: John Austin, 14; Noah, 11; and Sarah, 7. They live in the Frog Jump community near Halls and are active in Archer's Chapel Methodist Church.

Looks like Matt is correct. How do you 'conservatives' feel about another Bachmannesque candidate who is feeding at the public trough while (presumably) running as a free market blah, blah, blah?
He is a farmer. Your point?

How do you know he has been receiving massive farm subsidies?

Because cotton, corn, soybeans and wheat are all subsidized.

Does every farmer of those crops receive subsidies? I thought the farms / corporations had to be within a certain yearly income.

Does every farmer of those crops receive subsidies? I thought the farms / corporations had to be within a certain yearly income.

Farming and agriculture can be difficult on both the land and the farming family. The United States Department of Agriculture has created subsidy programs to help family farms and small agricultural businesses flourish.

Nope, I don't. He's a farmer and apparently that is a bad thing to Democrats.
Feel free to continue your feigned ignorance. It amuses me.
Sooooooo, what is so bad about his being a farmer?

You know this nation was founded and prospered on agriculture, right?

Not a thing.

How do you feel about someone taking government giveaways while at the same time condemning government giveaways?

Or - as the 2nd post shows, he is railing against the stimulus, while happily taking credit for stimulus money?

Maybe you just like hypocrites?

Farming and agriculture can be difficult on both the land and the farming family. The United States Department of Agriculture has created subsidy programs to help family farms and small agricultural businesses flourish.

But that doesn't answer my question. I already know that those subsidy programs exist. That's not a secret. I asked if every farmer got them. Neither you nor the author of your linked tweet has proven this guy has accepted federal subsidies. It's only your speculation at this point.

Feel free to continue your feigned ignorance. It amuses me.

Not a thing.

How do you feel about someone taking government giveaways while at the same time condemning government giveaways?

Or - as the 2nd post shows, he is railing against the stimulus, while happily taking credit for stimulus money?

Since when are farmers hypocrites, or even more importantly, how is this farmer a hypocrite?

Not a thing.

Since when are farmers hypocrites, or even more importantly, how is this farmer a hypocrite?
Post #2.

Get someone to explain it to you if you need help.

Not a thing.

Post #2.

That answers nothing related to my questions to you: Why do you not like farmers? Why do you think they are hypocrites?

Post #2.

That answers nothing related to my questions to you: Why do you not like farmers? Why do you think they are hypocrites?
Perhaps politics is over your head. Maybe this is more your speed.

You still haven't answered my questions. Tell you what, go ahead and assume that I am stupid and dumb your answers down for me.

Again, why do you say that farmers are hypocrites? What do you have against farmers?

So, remember, I need a dumbed-down answer from you.

Forum List

Back