Stem Cell Research

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
Palin is against stem cell research in a time we need to find a cure for alzheimer's, cancer, childhood diabetes, and many other diseases. YOu think she would change her mind with McCain having a good chance of developing dementia. or maybe not she doesn't seem like the type to take the passenger seat for very long!
SO what should we do elect a women who against Gay marriage and as been rumored to refer to Obama as Sambo!

Palin is against stem cell research in a time we need to find a cure for alzheimer's, cancer, childhood diabetes, and many other diseases. YOu think she would change her mind with McCain having a good chance of developing dementia. or maybe not she doesn't seem like the type to take the passenger seat for very long!
SO what should we do elect a women who against Gay marriage and as been rumored to refer to Obama as Sambo!

MOST conservatives are against stem cell research. For one thing it is not as hot as it has been claimed to be. or did you miss the whole debacle when the leading scientist in the theory was found to have fabricated his results?

Palin is a religious fundamentalist, and the religious right is generally against advances in scientific knowledge, since that sort of thing usually contradicts scripture. But at least they don't burn scientists at the stake anymore. One step at a time...

MOST conservatives are against stem cell research. For one thing it is not as hot as it has been claimed to be. or did you miss the whole debacle when the leading scientist in the theory was found to have fabricated his results?[/QUOTE
goggle stem cell research and alzheimer!
Also you watch someone die from alzheimers or dementia or just live with it. I watched at least 25 people die from this disease and it need to have a cure. Your retired militaty, how about you watch a man who was a well decorated figher pilot in WWII and Vietnam slowly disappear. He was great man and I watched is progression to death and then I had to wrap him up when they took him to the funeral home. There also many other vets there, most from WWII and they didn't even know there own brother was or daughter. I don't care what your conservative views are, there needs to be a cure and Alzheimers Association believes stem cell research can help with that and so does Nancy Reagan!

Someone hasn't followed the news for the last 10 months or so:

"Induced pluripotent stem cell lines derived from human somatic cells.

Somatic cell nuclear transfer allows trans-acting factors present in the mammalian oocyte to reprogram somatic cell nuclei to an undifferentiated state. We show that four factors (OCT4, SOX2, NANOG, and LIN28) are sufficient to reprogram human somatic cells to pluripotent stem cells that exhibit the essential characteristics of embryonic stem (ES) cells. These induced pluripotent human stem cells have normal karyotypes, express telomerase activity, express cell surface markers and genes that characterize human ES cells, and maintain the developmental potential to differentiate into advanced derivatives of all three primary germ layers. Such induced pluripotent human cell lines should be useful in the production of new disease models and in drug development, as well as for applications in transplantation medicine, once technical limitations (for example, mutation through viral integration) are eliminated."

Thanks for clearing that up, Ninja!

Someone hasn't followed the news for the last 10 months or so:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Although researchers have discovered ways to make powerful stem cells without the use of human embryos, the controversial use of embryonic stem cells is still necessary, a panel of experts said on Friday.

And I do read more, I have actually taken a few classes on alzheimer's and dementia and attend a few Alzheimers functions and listened to a few people who are leaders in this field that agree with me. Maybe you should do alittle more reading.

Palin is a right wing nutcase. Trying to ban books, leaving her town $20 million in debt, abusing her power as governor....she will make a great VP.

cheney_grr.jpg

I've done a little bit more than take some classes and attend a couple talks, Luissa.

Amongst people in the know (read: not you), research into Tau hyperphosphorylation is regarded as being much more crucial in the fight against Alzheimer's.

Maybe if the ESC people could find a way to block teratoma growth I'd think about hopping on the ESC bandwagon.

It's kind of odd how one of the functional assays used in the papers I cited was teratoma growth. "Hey look when we transplant these calls they form nasty tumors - JUST LIKE THE EMBRYONIC STEM CELLS!" Not the greatest sign if you're hopeful that ESCs will ever be clinically viable.

iPS cells are the future of the field. They're much cheaper than ESCs, behave the same, and don't include the ethical baggage that turns so many people off. And there is the same potential that ESCs offer (assuming the teratoma issue ever gets sorted out). In the short time since iPSCs were discovered, they've created a boom in the biotech industry, too.

For the record, I'm not anti-ESC research. I'd rather have frozen embryos be used for research rather than thrown away. I just get annoyed by the alarmists.

Last edited:
For the record, I'm not anti-ESC research. I'd rather have frozen embryos be used for research rather than thrown away. I just get annoyed by the alarmists.

Bravo! If the only choices are discard or use for research, then use for research, right? But what about the alarmists on the other side who hinder progress by riling up evangelicals to protest scientific advances?

Isn't Sarah Palin one of them?

I've done a little bit more than take some classes and attend a couple talks, Luissa.

Amongst people in the know (read: not you), research into Tau hyperphosphorylation is regarded as being much more crucial in the fight against Alzheimer's.

Maybe if the ESC people could find a way to block teratoma growth I'd think about hopping on the ESC bandwagon.

It's kind of odd how one of the functional assays used in the papers I cited was teratoma growth. "Hey look when we transplant these calls they form nasty tumors - JUST LIKE THE EMBRYONIC STEM CELLS!" Not the greatest sign if you're hopeful that ESCs will ever be clinically viable.

iPS cells are the future of the field. They're much cheaper than ESCs, behave the same, and don't include the ethical baggage that turns so many people off. And there is the same potential that ESCs offer (assuming the teratoma issue ever gets sorted out). In the short time since iPSCs were discovered, they've created a boom in the biotech industry, too.

That is great if it true! And I may not know as much as you but everything I have read on this subject as pointed to ESC research as you say helping with the cure for alzheimer and other diseases. stem cell reseach as also said to help other parts of the medical field. I may seem like an alarmist but I just want them to find a cure. Like you said they are just throwing them away!
Plus why not try every way possible to find a cure because they obviously have not found one yet. As for not being in know about Alzheimer's I am sure I have dealt with it more one on one the you have. It is also typical of man to spout off to make themselves seem bigger and better. Also why should George W have any say on the field of science!

Call them by their proper name, "snowflake babies."

Last edited:
Yes. She has her baggage. I'm not thrilled about her stance on ESCs, or the Creationism for that matter. But I don't feel that I have the luxury of voting on theology this election. If I did I'd support Bob Barr.
And since you are such an expert in this field what do you think about McCain's chances of developing dementia in the white house!

That's pretty low.

I've yet to see any Rightists ask similar rhetorical questions about Obama his cigarette smoking.

As I recall McCain used to smoke! And it is a pretty valid question to ask about someone who might be president who is in 70's when a man in his 70's as 22% chance of developing dementia. THen there is the fact he has high cholestrol which up your risk, also head trauma can up that risk. Then you knows what is drinking habbits are, I have heard he used to be quite the partier in his day, his words actually from the convention. Quite a few people I took care of had a history of drinking. Also wasn't he a boxer, isn't there something called 'punch drunk' I don't know you are the one who knows all about this but haven't they said boxer have a higher chance of developing dementia. As you might know they have testing available that can sometimes diagnose alzheimer's and dementia, shouldn't he be tested before we elect to be president. Plus if Obama dies from lung cancer he has biden not some women from alaska who likes to fire anyone who doesn't believe in what she believes in!

Yes. She has her baggage. I'm not thrilled about her stance on ESCs, or the Creationism for that matter. But I don't feel that I have the luxury of voting on theology this election. If I did I'd support Bob Barr.

What are you voting on? Taxes? Got lots of capital gains and a big estate to worry about? You're not one of those scientists that got rich by denying global warming, are you?

Forum List

Back