• No

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
Some say stem cell research will lead to improved treatments for diabetes, sickle cell anemia, spinal cord injuries, Parkinson's disease, and othe serious medial problems. Others say that stem cell research will lead to human cloning. Some say the stem cell research trangresses their religious beliefs. What is your opinion?

Can't answer unless you specify which type of stem-cell research. Adult Stem Cell, which has been shown to differentiate into all types of cells, which has been used successfully to treat many (I think 70, but not 100% sure) diseases, sometimes curing them. Or embryonic stem cells, which have not even made it to human testing yet, which have been shown to be rejected by the body, even turn cancerous, and also end a tiny human life in producing them. The Adult Stem cell research, I support wholeheartedly. Embryonic, I am absolutely opposed to.

I support anything that will extend our lives or fix what ails us. God gave us the ability to reason and learn and the free will to make decisions on how to act on the learning. If we choose not to act, I think he may ask us later, "Why didn't you use all the gifts I gave you?"

Just my opinion of course.

The poll referred to both types of stem cell research:

Groups Supporting Embryonic Stem Cell Research:

American Medical Association (AMA)
American Society for Cell Biology
Association of American Medical Colleges
Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
Conation for the Advancement of Medical Research
Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
Letter from 80 Nobel Laureates in support of ES cell research
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
ALS Association
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
Parkinson's Action Network

Groups Opposed to Embryonic Stem Cell Research:

Do No Harm: The Coalition of Americans for Research Ethics
Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity
National Conference of Catholic Bishops
Stem Cell Research and the Catholic Church (AmericanCatholic.org)
American Family Association
Culture of Life Foundation
Focus on the Family
National Right to Life Committee

http://www.biology.iupui.edu/biocourses/Biol540/11hesfull2k4.html

Why wouldn't they put more resources into the research that is yielding results? Makes no sense to me. It's all about keeping their grant money. ESCR is a fast train to nowhere.

May 25, 2005
House Approves a Stem Cell Research Bill Opposed by Bush
By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/25/politics/25stem.html

WASHINGTON, May 24 - The House passed a bill on Tuesday to expand federal financing for embryonic stem cell research, defying a veto threat from President Bush, who appeared at the White House with babies and toddlers born of test-tube embryos and warned the measure "would take us across a critical ethical line."

The vote, 238 to 194 with 50 Republicans in favor, fell far short of the two-thirds majority required to overturn a presidential veto, setting up a possible showdown between Congress and Mr. Bush, who has never exercised his veto power. An identical bill has broad bipartisan support in the Senate; moments after the House vote, the Senate sponsors wrote to the Republican leader, Bill Frist, urging him to put it on the agenda.

The House action is the first vote on embryonic stem cell research since August 2001, when Mr. Bush opened the door to taxpayer financing for the studies, but only with strict limits. The new bill permits the government to pay for studies involving human embryos that are in frozen storage at fertility clinics, so long as couples conceiving the embryos certified that they had made a decision to discard them.

"The White House cannot ignore this vote," said the bill's chief Republican backer, Representative Michael N. Castle of Delaware, adding, "I'm elated."

But opponents also said they were elated. Representative Joseph R. Pitts, Republican of Pennsylvania, said: "I hate to lose, but I feel pretty good about this vote. We beat a veto-proof margin by 50 votes."

The big question now is what will happen in the Senate. Dr. Frist, a heart surgeon from Tennessee who supports the existing policy, is already facing intense pressure from conservatives over the issue of Mr. Bush's judicial nominees and does not seem eager to schedule a vote on stem cell research. He said last week that he wanted to check with his colleagues before doing so.

The House vote followed an impassioned lobbying campaign by advocates for patients, including Nancy Reagan. Mrs. Reagan, who became a strong backer of stem cell research as her husband struggled with Alzheimer's disease, telephoned fellow Republicans this week urging a yes vote, Mr. Castle said.

But Mr. Bush countered with a powerful one-two punch, throwing the full weight of the White House behind the opposition. On Friday, he issued a rare threat to veto the Castle bill. On Tuesday, just hours before the vote, he appeared in the East Room of the White House with families created by a rare but growing practice in which one couple donates its frozen embryos to another.

"The children here today remind us that there is no such thing as a spare embryo," Mr. Bush said, amid the squeals and coos of babies cradled in their mothers' arms. "Every embryo is unique and genetically complete, like every other human being. And each of us started out our life this way. These lives are not raw material to be exploited, but gifts."

The parents, who worked through a Christian adoption agency, applauded enthusiastically. When Mr. Bush said that "every human life is a precious gift of matchless love," a mother behind him on stage mouthed the word "Amen."

The White House event, on what conservative Christians and the president call an important "culture of life" issue, demonstrated just how far Mr. Bush is willing to assert himself on policy that goes to what he considers the moral heart of his presidency. In another sign of how important the issue is to conservatives, the House Republican leader, Tom DeLay of Texas, managed the opposition to the bill, also casting it in stark moral terms.

"An embryo is a person, a distinct internally directed, self-integrating human organism," Mr. DeLay said, adding, "We were all at one time embryos ourselves. So was Abraham. So was Muhammad. So was Jesus of Nazareth."

He went on: "The choice to protect a human embryo from federally funded destruction is not, ultimately, about the human embryo. It is about us, and our rejection of the treacherous notion that while all human lives are sacred, some are more sacred than others."

Human embryonic stem cells, isolated from human embryos for the first time in 1998, have the potential to grow into any cell or tissue in the body, and so hold great promise for treatment of disease. But the embryos are destroyed when the cells are extracted. So Mr. Bush, intending to discourage further embryo destruction, insisted in 2001 that federal financing be limited to studies of those stem cell colonies, or lines, that had already been created.

Instead, Mr. Bush is promoting research on adult stem cells, which are drawn from bone marrow and blood, including umbilical cord blood, and have narrower implications for medicine than embryonic stem cells. On Tuesday, the House voted 431 to 1 to approve a measure that would create umbilical cord blood banks to advance adult stem cell research.

But it was the embryonic stem cell debate that inflamed the passions of the House, sounding at various times like a lesson in cell biology, a theological discourse and a personal confessional. Lawmaker after lawmaker came to the House well to recount struggles with conscience and searing personal experiences with death and disease.

Representative Jim Langevin, Democrat of Rhode Island, rolled to the microphone in his motorized wheelchair to speak of his spinal cord injury, which he said could be helped by the research. Representative Jo Ann Emerson, Republican of Missouri, told of a young man named Cody, who had been paralyzed in a car accident at age 16 and asked her to rethink her opposition to embryonic stem cell studies.

"I later wrote a note to Cody's family telling them that even after hearing his story, I couldn't do as he asked," Ms. Emerson said, "and I have regretted writing that letter ever since."

But for every supporter with a compelling personal tale, there was an opponent like Representative Dan Lungren, Republican of California, whose brother has Parkinson's disease. "I've learned a lot of things from my brother," Mr. Lungren said, "But one of the things I learned most is that there is a difference between right and wrong."

The backers of the Senate measure, Senators Arlen Specter, Republican of Pennsylvania, and Tom Harkin, Democrat of Iowa, have scheduled a news conference for Wednesday to demand quick action. "I don't understand why Mr. Bush is doing this," Mr. Harkin said, adding, "I wish he would refrain from drawing lines in the sand."

---------------------------

May 25, 2005
Vote on Stem Cell Research

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/25/politics/25stem_rollcall.html

WASHINGTON, May 24 (AP) - The 238-194 roll call Tuesday by which the House passed the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act.

A "yes" vote is a vote to pass the bill that would lift restrictions on embryonic stem cell research.

Voting yes were 187 Democrats, 50 Republicans and 1 Independent.

Voting no were 14 Democrats, 180 Republicans and no Independents.

X denotes those not voting.

ALABAMA

Democrats -- Cramer, Y; Davis, Y.

Republicans -- Aderholt, N; Bachus, N; Bonner, N; Everett, N; Rogers, N.

ALASKA

Republicans -- Young, Y.

ARIZONA

Democrats -- Grijalva, Y; Pastor, Y.

Republicans -- Flake, N; Franks, N; Hayworth, N; Kolbe, Y; Renzi, N; Shadegg, N.

ARKANSAS

Democrats -- Berry, Y; Ross, Y; Snyder, Y.

Republicans -- Boozman, N.

CALIFORNIA

Democrats -- Baca, Y; Becerra, Y; Berman, Y; Capps, Y; Cardoza, Y; Costa, Y; Davis, Y; Eshoo, Y; Farr, Y; Filner, Y; Harman, Y; Honda, Y; Lantos, Y; Lee, Y; Lofgren, Zoe, Y; Matsui, Y; Millender-McDonald, X; Miller, George, Y; Napolitano, Y; Pelosi, Y; Roybal-Allard, Y; Sanchez, Linda T., Y; Sanchez, Loretta, Y; Schiff, Y; Sherman, Y; Solis, Y; Stark, Y; Tauscher, Y; Thompson, Y; Waters, Y; Watson, Y; Waxman, Y; Woolsey, Y.

Republicans -- Bono, Y; Calvert, Y; Cox, N; Cunningham, Y; Doolittle, N; Dreier, Y; Gallegly, N; Herger, N; Hunter, N; Issa, Y; Lewis, Y; Lungren, Daniel E., N; McKeon, Y; Miller, Gary, N; Nunes, N; Pombo, N; Radanovich, N; Rohrabacher, Y; Royce, N; Thomas, Y.

COLORADO

Democrats -- DeGette, Y; Salazar, Y; Udall, Y.

Republicans -- Beauprez, N; Hefley, N; Musgrave, N; Tancredo, N.

CONNECTICUT

Democrats -- DeLauro, Y; Larson, Y.

Republicans -- Johnson, Y; Shays, Y; Simmons, Y.

DELAWARE

Republicans -- Castle, Y.

FLORIDA

Democrats -- Boyd, Y; Brown, Corrine, Y; Davis, Y; Hastings, Y; Meek, Y; Wasserman Schultz, Y; Wexler, Y.

Republicans -- Bilirakis, N; Brown-Waite, Ginny, Y; Crenshaw, N; Diaz-Balart, L., N; Diaz-Balart, M., N; Feeney, N; Foley, Y; Harris, N; Keller, N; Mack, Y; Mica, N; Miller, N; Putnam, N; Ros-Lehtinen, N; Shaw, Y; Stearns, N; Weldon, N; Young, Y.

GEORGIA

Democrats -- Barrow, Y; Bishop, Y; Lewis, Y; Marshall, N; McKinney, Y; Scott, Y.

Republicans -- Deal, N; Gingrey, N; Kingston, N; Linder, N; Norwood, N; Price, N; Westmoreland, N.

HAWAII

Democrats -- Abercrombie, Y; Case, Y.

IDAHO

Republicans -- Otter, N; Simpson, N.

ILLINOIS

Democrats -- Bean, Y; Costello, N; Davis, Y; Emanuel, Y; Evans, Y; Gutierrez, Y; Jackson, Y; Lipinski, N; Rush, Y; Schakowsky, Y.

Republicans -- Biggert, Y; Hastert, N; Hyde, N; Johnson, N; Kirk, Y; LaHood, N; Manzullo, N; Shimkus, N; Weller, N.

INDIANA

Democrats -- Carson, Y; Visclosky, Y.

Republicans -- Burton, N; Buyer, N; Chocola, N; Hostettler, N; Pence, N; Sodrel, N; Souder, N.

IOWA

Democrats -- Boswell, Y.

Republicans -- King, N; Latham, N; Leach, Y; Nussle, N.

KANSAS

Democrats -- Moore, Y.

Republicans -- Moran, N; Ryun, N; Tiahrt, N.

KENTUCKY

Democrats -- Chandler, Y.

Republicans -- Davis, N; Lewis, N; Northup, N; Rogers, N; Whitfield, N.

LOUISIANA

Democrats -- Jefferson, Y; Melancon, Y.

Republicans -- Alexander, N; Baker, N; Boustany, N; Jindal, N; McCrery, N.

MAINE

Democrats -- Allen, Y; Michaud, Y.

MARYLAND

Democrats -- Cardin, Y; Cummings, Y; Hoyer, Y; Ruppersberger, Y; Van Hollen, Y; Wynn, Y.

Republicans -- Bartlett, N; Gilchrest, Y.

MASSACHUSETTS

Democrats -- Capuano, Y; Delahunt, Y; Frank, Y; Lynch, Y; Markey, Y; McGovern, Y; Meehan, Y; Neal, Y; Olver, Y; Tierney, Y.

MICHIGAN

Democrats -- Conyers, Y; Dingell, Y; Kildee, N; Kilpatrick, Y; Levin, Y; Stupak, N.

Republicans -- Camp, N; Ehlers, N; Hoekstra, N; Knollenberg, N; McCotter, N; Miller, N; Rogers, N; Schwarz, Y; Upton, Y.

MINNESOTA

Democrats -- McCollum, Y; Oberstar, N; Peterson, N; Sabo, Y.

Republicans -- Gutknecht, N; Kennedy, N; Kline, N; Ramstad, Y.

MISSISSIPPI

Democrats -- Taylor, N; Thompson, Y.

Republicans -- Pickering, N; Wicker, N.

MISSOURI

Democrats -- Carnahan, Y; Clay, Y; Cleaver, Y; Skelton, Y.

Republicans -- Akin, N; Blunt, N; Emerson, Y; Graves, N; Hulshof, N.

MONTANA

Republicans -- Rehberg, N.

NEBRASKA

Republicans -- Fortenberry, N; Osborne, N; Terry, N.

NEVADA

Democrats -- Berkley, Y.

Republicans -- Gibbons, Y; Porter, Y.

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Republicans -- Bass, Y; Bradley, Y.

NEW JERSEY

Democrats -- Andrews, Y; Holt, Y; Menendez, Y; Pallone, Y; Pascrell, Y; Payne, Y; Rothman, Y.

Republicans -- Ferguson, N; Frelinghuysen, Y; Garrett, N; LoBiondo, N; Saxton, N; Smith, N.

NEW MEXICO

Democrats -- Udall, Y.

Republicans -- Pearce, N; Wilson, Y.

NEW YORK

Democrats -- Ackerman, Y; Bishop, Y; Crowley, Y; Engel, Y; Higgins, Y; Hinchey, Y; Israel, Y; Lowey, Y; Maloney, Y; McCarthy, Y; McNulty, Y; Meeks, Y; Nadler, Y; Owens, Y; Rangel, Y; Serrano, Y; Slaughter, Y; Towns, Y; Velazquez, Y; Weiner, Y.

Republicans -- Boehlert, Y; Fossella, Y; Kelly, Y; King, N; Kuhl, N; McHugh, N; Reynolds, N; Sweeney, Y; Walsh, N.

NORTH CAROLINA

Democrats -- Butterfield, Y; Etheridge, Y; McIntyre, N; Miller, Y; Price, Y; Watt, Y.

Republicans -- Coble, Y; Foxx, N; Hayes, N; Jones, N; McHenry, N; Myrick, N; Taylor, N.

NORTH DAKOTA

Democrats -- Pomeroy, Y.

OHIO

Democrats -- Brown, Y; Jones, Y; Kaptur, N; Kucinich, Y; Ryan, Y; Strickland, Y.

Republicans -- Boehner, N; Chabot, N; Gillmor, N; Hobson, N; LaTourette, Y; Ney, N; Oxley, N; Pryce, Y; Regula, Y; Tiberi, N; Turner, N.

OKLAHOMA

Democrats -- Boren, Y.

Republicans -- Cole, N; Istook, N; Lucas, N; Sullivan, N.

OREGON

Democrats -- Blumenauer, Y; DeFazio, Y; Hooley, Y; Wu, Y.

Republicans -- Walden, Y.

PENNSYLVANIA

Democrats -- Brady, Y; Doyle, Y; Fattah, Y; Holden, N; Kanjorski, Y; Murtha, Y; Schwartz, Y.

Republicans -- Dent, Y; English, N; Fitzpatrick, N; Gerlach, Y; Hart, N; Murphy, N; Peterson, N; Pitts, N; Platts, Y; Sherwood, N; Shuster, N; Weldon, N.

RHODE ISLAND

Democrats -- Kennedy, Y; Langevin, Y.

SOUTH CAROLINA

Democrats -- Clyburn, Y; Spratt, Y.

Republicans -- Barrett, N; Brown, N; Inglis, N; Wilson, N.

SOUTH DAKOTA

Democrats -- Herseth, Y.

TENNESSEE

Democrats -- Cooper, Y; Davis, N; Ford, Y; Gordon, Y; Tanner, Y.

Republicans -- Blackburn, N; Duncan, N; Jenkins, N; Wamp, N.

TEXAS

Democrats -- Cuellar, Y; Doggett, Y; Edwards, Y; Gonzalez, Y; Green, Al, Y; Green, Gene, Y; Hinojosa, Y; Jackson-Lee, Y; Johnson, E.B., Y; Ortiz, Y; Reyes, Y.

Republicans -- Barton, Y; Bonilla, N; Brady, N; Burgess, N; Carter, N; Conaway, N; Culberson, N; DeLay, N; Gohmert, N; Granger, Y; Hall, N; Hensarling, N; Johnson, Sam, N; Marchant, N; McCaul, N; Neugebauer, N; Paul, N; Poe, N; Sessions, N; Smith, N; Thornberry, N.

UTAH

Democrats -- Matheson, Y.

Republicans -- Bishop, N; Cannon, N.

VERMONT

Independent -- Sanders, Y.

VIRGINIA

Democrats -- Boucher, Y; Moran, Y; Scott, Y.

Republicans -- Cantor, N; Davis, Jo Ann, N; Davis, Tom, Y; Drake, N; Forbes, N; Goode, N; Goodlatte, N; Wolf, N.

WASHINGTON

Democrats -- Baird, Y; Dicks, Y; Inslee, Y; Larsen, Y; McDermott, Y; Smith, Y.

Republicans -- Hastings, X; McMorris, N; Reichert, N.

WEST VIRGINIA

Democrats -- Mollohan, N; Rahall, N.

Republicans -- Capito, Y.

WISCONSIN

Democrats -- Baldwin, Y; Kind, Y; Moore, Y; Obey, Y.

Republicans -- Green, N; Petri, N; Ryan, N; Sensenbrenner, N.

WYOMING

Republicans -- Cubin, N.
-

You can draw stem cells from the nose, from hair follicles, and from umbilical fluid, nobody dies and many could be saved.

deaddude said:
You can draw stem cells from the nose, from hair follicles, and from umbilical fluid, nobody dies and many could be saved.

This is why I asked him to specify embryonic v/s "adult" stem cells. The media has done a great job of obfuscating the fact that there are different sources, and also hiding the fact that methods using the stem cells obtained from tiny embryos are not even close to being ready for treatment, have proven cancerous and perilously unstable, while stem cells obtained from other sources are already being used to treat and cure patients. Why not put the finances behind the research that is working? ESCR has many times the amount of funding that ASCR has, yet has yielded NO results. Waste of money, not to mention a waste of tiny lives. All with the extra tragedy of false hope for those who are ailing, who believe that ESCR can help them. Diverting funding from the research that is working NOW to a fairy tale (ESCR) spun by researchers who don't want to lose their grant money is nothing less than evil. Who knows how many lives could have been saved, diseases cured or relieved if they were more worried about the people than their own quest.

mom4 said:
Why wouldn't they put more resources into the research that is yielding results? Makes no sense to me. It's all about keeping their grant money. ESCR is a fast train to nowhere.
Hummmm...seems to me, many said the same of the space program years ago, look at all that has brought us.
Then there was that idiot Columbus guy that set sail to prove the world was not flat.
Yeah, your right, forget it, ESCR will lead us nowhere. :)

mom4 said:
spun by researchers who don't want to lose their grant money is nothing less than evil.
Mom4, your statement is a false and outrageous accusation without a shread of proof. Your extremist rhetoric does not help illuminate this issue. Document with specific proof your accusation that scientists spin this issue only to retain research money.

"I am proud to hold a Right to Life philosophy. I believe that human life begins in the womb, not in a petri dish. While I recognize that not everyone agrees with me, I am heartened that so many of people that I meet in Utah and throughout the country, including many fellow Right-to-Lifers, have supported me in my views. I believe that as the public studies and reflects upon these issues, support for the legislation we have drafted will grow." - Orrin Hatch, US Senator, Utah
http://judiciary.senate.gov/member_statement.cfm?id=622&wit_id=51

Mr. P said:
Hummmm...seems to me, many said the same of the space program years ago, look at all that has brought us.
Then there was that idiot Columbus guy that set sail to prove the world was not flat.
Yeah, your right, forget it, ESCR will lead us nowhere. :)

Mr. P, there is nothing from either side to stop research, just whether or not the feds should be funding it.

If one thinks it so promising, write the companies telling them you are willing to buy their stock, if they invest the R & D...

Kathianne said:
Mr. P, there is nothing from either side to stop research, just whether or not the feds should be funding it.

If one thinks it so promising, write the companies telling them you are willing to buy their stock, if they invest the R & D...
I understand that, and for some that oppose SCR that's true but not for all. Now, you don't really want to open that "what the Government" should be funding can of worms, do you? Heck we may eliminate 50% or more of the Government if we do that...maybe a good thing. On the other hand "some" things that are funded by the fed. are good for all...so what to do?

Kathianne said:

Isn't interesting how this " science " has become so important in the last five years . If all of the weatherman-like promises being made by " scientist " with a big hand out are true , why wouldn't the private investers be jumping on this sure thing . The "scientists" would much rather get money from the government where they will be less accountable for results than they would be from private stock holders . With government handouts they can always count on an increase of funding going up every year whether they need it or not.
This is so obviously politically motivated that it's a joke .I saw the special on nightline the other night where this promoter.. . . errr "scientist" was complaining that he knew at least 5 researchers that have left the country in order to continue their research . They are spinning this to make President Bush look like some ultra right wing religious zealot . I don't buy it . If there is any truth to the hyped up claims of everything from cancer cures to growing hair , the greedy pharmaceutical companies and Halliburton would be all over it , funding would be a non issue .

Mr. P said:
I understand that, and for some that oppose SCR that's true but not for all. Now, you don't really want to open that "what the Government" should be funding can of worms, do you? Heck we may eliminate 50% or more of the Government if we do that...maybe a good thing. On the other hand "some" things that are funded by the fed. are good for all...so what to do?

Look at this rationally, if stem cell research is able to 'cure' diabetes, certain cancers, degenerative muscle diseases, they are guaranteed to have hit the biggest thing since anti-biotics.

Now if this was only for some rare disease and the universities were conducting research-I think it would be covered. But NO, this is the 'future' where a Christopher Reeves would walk again.

No, the pharmaceuticals can well afford to invest, IF they think these kinds of breakthroughs will come...

sitarro said:
Isn't interesting how this " science " has become so important in the last five years . If all of the weatherman-like promises being made by " scientist " with a big hand out are true , why wouldn't the private investers be jumping on this sure thing . The "scientists" would much rather get money from the government where they will be less accountable for results than they would be from private stock holders . With government handouts they can always count on an increase of funding going up every year whether they need it or not.
This is so obviously politically motivated that it's a joke .I saw the special on nightline the other night where this promoter.. . . errr "scientist" was complaining that he knew at least 5 researchers that have left the country in order to continue their research . They are spinning this to make President Bush look like some ultra right wing religious zealot . I don't buy it . If there is any truth to the hyped up claims of everything from cancer cures to growing hair , the greedy pharmaceutical companies and Halliburton would be all over it , funding would be a non issue .

Thanks for the realistic view and the common sense explanation--Cmon folks-if it was that good they would be charging us big bucks for it already

sitarro said:
After WW2, the eventual development of civilian uses for nuclear power was a "sure thing," yet who produced the first nuclear power plants? Investors? Hardly. Investors never risk money when they do not know how long it will take to produce a return. If you had bothered to study the scientific R&D budget of the United States for 2006, then you would realize that your "they can always count on an increase of funding going up every year whether they need it or not" statement is absurd.

"President Bush's new budget proposes to spend $132.3 billion in fiscal 2006. (0.53 percent more than 2005) Space, energy and nondefense homeland security R&D programs would see substantial increases. But in physics, computers, mathematics, ecology, economics and even health programs that have seen sustained growth in recent years, the picture is not as bright. They are suffering as the government attempts to reduce its budget deficits. The proposed total R&D portfolio for 2006 is 0.6 percent, or $733 million, above this year's funding level. Within the portfolio, however, federal support for basic and applied research would fall by the same percentage, to $54.8 billion.

Federally funded R&D has produced countless breakthroughs over the years - among them the Internet, bar codes, gene mapping and even the Dictionary of American Sign Language on Linguistic Principles. Edible vaccines, fusion energy and commercial space travel are some of the emerging R&D products that promise to become commonplace."

http://www.govexec.com/features/0305-15/0305-15s4.htm

-

onedomino said:
After WW2, the eventual development of civilian uses for nuclear power was a "sure thing," yet who produced the first nuclear power plants? Investors? Hardly. Investors never risk money when they do not know how long it will take to produce a return. If you had bothered to study the scientific R&D budget of the United States for 2006, then you would realize that your "they can always count on an increase of funding going up every year whether they need it or not" statement is absurd.

"President Bush's new budget proposes to spend $132.3 billion in fiscal 2006. (0.53 percent more than 2005) Space, energy and nondefense homeland security R&D programs would see substantial increases. But in physics, computers, mathematics, ecology, economics and even health programs that have seen sustained growth in recent years, the picture is not as bright. They are suffering as the government attempts to reduce its budget deficits. The proposed total R&D portfolio for 2006 is 0.6 percent, or $733 million, above this year's funding level. Within the portfolio, however, federal support for basic and applied research would fall by the same percentage, to $54.8 billion.

Federally funded R&D has produced countless breakthroughs over the years - among them the Internet, bar codes, gene mapping and even the Dictionary of American Sign Language on Linguistic Principles. Edible vaccines, fusion energy and commercial space travel are some of the emerging R&D products that promise to become commonplace."

http://www.govexec.com/features/0305-15/0305-15s4.htm

-

I don't disagree with your premise, however would point out that all of these had possible military applications and most of the 'entertainment' and other areas that would turn over profits, were quite quickly assimilated and developed by private corporations, after being a 'incidental development' off of another r & d program.

Kathianne said:
Look at this rationally, if stem cell research is able to 'cure' diabetes, certain cancers, degenerative muscle diseases, they are guaranteed to have hit the biggest thing since anti-biotics.

Now if this was only for some rare disease and the universities were conducting research-I think it would be covered. But NO, this is the 'future' where a Christopher Reeves would walk again.

No, the pharmaceuticals can well afford to invest, IF they think these kinds of breakthroughs will come...
Oh believe me I am looking at it rationally..

You're right, the pharmaceuticals can well afford to invest, however when you look at the big picture it's a moot point. We are a capitalist society, that's fine, but there are
Counties conducting this research. Now how can we expect a pharmaceutical company to compete
with that?

This will be major, as you say, like the discovery of anti-biotics, do we as a Country pursue that,
or just leave it to business? I say no..supplement them and go for the GOLD!

Forum List

Back