Stem-cell morality

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by CharlestonChad, Jul 30, 2006.

1. CharlestonChad

CharlestonChad Baller Deluxe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    To anyone who disapproves of ESC research:

Are you a pacifist? If not, then do you view the droppings of the atom bomb on Japan as a way to actually save lives that would have normally been lost in standard warfare?

If you support the above, then you must also support ESC research because that is a way to potentially save lives that would be lost. Potentially living persons (as defined biologically) will be terminated, but they will feel no pain and they have not developed enough to have thoughts. People that do feel pain and have real lives will be saved from pre-mature death.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I have a hard time seeing how embryonic stem cell research is the same as warfare.

Again, they're not the same.

Embryonic Stem Cell research uses cells from fertilized human eggs. Those blobs of tissue are considered human or persons by many of us. Per the 5th Amendment, no person shall be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law. Abortion does just that.

The decision to drop the bomb on Hiroshima and then, Nagasaki was made by a president who was given the authority to conduct war. Congress declared war on Japan on December 8, 1948. In this case, the decision to drop the bomb was made through due process.

The promises of Embryonic Stem Cell Research remain mostly unfulfilled. There is a possibility that it may produce results, but there are also great difficulties to be overcome (rejection by the host body, difficulties in getting the cells to specialize into the desired cell type etc). On the other hand, adult stem cell research has already produced results. I think that I'd put my money on the horse that won some races rather than a pie-in-the-sky contender that makes big promises but has produced few, if any, results.

Oh yes, and if you're going preface your arguments with the words "scientists claim"... I think you should know that most of those scientists work for companies that stand to profit from embryonic stem cell research, so they may not be unbiased. I think I can find scientists who argue exactly the opposite position.

I've said this before, but I believe that it bears repeating. I believe that many people "out there" (and not anyone on this board) are pushing embryonic stem cell research not out of an interest of saving lives but primarily to justify abortion. I really don't think that society should be in a position where it manufactures human embryos just to harvest parts. I wonder how people who support ESC research would feel about harvesting organs from executed criminals in order to save lives? It seems pretty barbaric to me and reminds me too much of the premise made by the movie "Soylent Green". In that movie, in a future world the dead were turned into food for the living.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I don't believe we dropped the atomic bomb to kill people. The intention was to totally demoralize the Japanese generals and make them realize that thier plan of fighting to the last man was doomed.
    Would you sacrifice your "potential" son or daughter so that others "might" feel better or live longer?

4. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Regardless of their attempts to do otherwise, opponents of ESC research simply cannot equate an undifferentiated mass of cells with actual human life.

If Chimpy McPresident were to be morally consistent in his opposition to this research, he would ban it altogether, rather than merely prohibit the use of federal funds for such research. Too many commercial interests are at stake, however, for him to ban such research altogether. And that's what it boils down to with him, as with so many other things...it's not a moral question, it's an economic one.

5. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Again, it's an undifferentiated mass of cells, not an actual human life. The two are not, in any sense, equivalent.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    You crack me up Bully. You bitch about "abuse of presidential power" yet state that he should ban embryonic research altogether?

7. CharlestonChad

CharlestonChad Baller Deluxe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I consider the Japanese civilian to also be humans, but I viewed the bombing as a way to save lives.

Since the 5th only pertains to Americans, is it okay if we get the ESC's from foreign countries? The research will be done in other countries regardless of what Bush vetos, and America will only fall further behind in the race to cure and save.

I've got to go, but I'll reply later:(

8. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Only to illustrate the moral inconsistencies in his position. But then he's never really been very keen on the moral consistency of his positions.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    As i was illustrating YOUR inconsistancies.

10. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Wrong, yet again. Have a nice day!