Stem Cell Bait and Switch

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Stemming stem cell research
Cal Thomas

February 14, 2005

Massachusetts Republican Gov. Mitt Romney has infuriated Harvard scientists by declaring his opposition to stem cell research on embryos created for this purpose. "Some of the practices that Harvard and probably other institutions in Massachusetts are engaged in cross the line of ethical conduct," Romney told The New York Times.

In a telephone conversation, Romney told me he thinks the Harvard scientists have "pulled a bait and switch." At first, he says, they agreed that enough stem cells could be obtained from discarded embryos at fertilization clinics, which did not present an ethical problem to him because such embryos would be destroyed anyway. But the scientists are now lobbying for creating and cloning embryos simply for experimental purposes. This he opposes.

The radically "pro-choice" New York Times, which rarely credits any pro-lifer with standing on principle, suggests Romney may be taking this position to curry favor with social conservatives so he might pursue higher office.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/calthomas/printct20050214.shtml

Bonnie said:
But the scientists are now lobbying for creating and cloning embryos simply for experimental purposes.

There is nothing even remotely wrong with this. Stem cell research is among the most important areas of new medical research we have today. Embryos and zygotes are not human beings, and their value to science and developing cures and treatments to help all of humanity is inestimable.

Andy

CivilLiberty said:
There is nothing even remotely wrong with this. Stem cell research is among the most important areas of new medical research we have today. Embryos and zygotes are not human beings, and their value to science and developing cures and treatments to help all of humanity is inestimable.

Andy

There are other ways of collecting embryonic stem cells without creating and destroying human life for them. My wife and I would have gladly donated a few cells of the burgeoning young human while in utero, and I am sure others would as well.

There are also Umbilical stem cells to collect, as well as the promising study of Adult stem cells.

CivilLiberty said:
Utterly and completely positive of it.

Hell is an invention of the ruling class to keep the peasants in line. It's pure BS.

A

Hell is when man degenerates to a state of mere animal being when his sense of right and wrong is eroded by moral relativists such as yourself.

rtwngAvngr said:
Hell is when man degenerates to a state of mere animal being when his sense of right and wrong is eroded by moral relativists such as yourself.

As opposed to his sense of right and wrong being eroded by, say, Leviticus? Or some other self-righteous pious nonsense?

A

CivilLiberty said:
As opposed to his sense of right and wrong being eroded by, say, Leviticus? Or some other self-righteous pious nonsense?

A

Ok. That'll be two burnt offerings, a sack of flour mixed with oil, and a live goat for your blasphemies please!

CivilLiberty said:
Utterly and completely positive of it.

Hell is an invention of the ruling class to keep the peasants in line. It's pure BS.

A

Well okay then......... :teeth:

CivilLiberty said:

A

You may be just as sure that Hell doesn't exist as there are those here that are sure that it does. Nevertheless whether or not they exist there is no logical reason to kill something in order to get something that you can get without the requisite of death. There are other ways to get fetal stem cells other than simply killing the fetus or zygote for them.

I don't believe it is a living human being until it takes its first breadth on it's own. If I were on a jury for anyone killing an unborn child, I would chuckle and think that this prosecutor is the most stupidest prosecutor in the world.

Merlin said:
I don't believe it is a living human being until it takes its first breadth on it's own. If I were on a jury for anyone killing an unborn child, I would chuckle and think that this prosecutor is the most stupidest prosecutor in the world.

Hey. That's what ajwps the right wing jew thought too. He was sensible except for that inane belief. Are you jewish? He said the bible says that. He had some obscure quote. I think the totalitarian jew lobby loves abortion for it's non-jew population control aspects. They are a paranoid bunch at times.

The humanity of embryos and the existance of Hell have no factual evidence supporting either side of either argument. They are matters of faith. Assuming that your side is factual in such an argument is arrogant. My political reason for not wanting to create embryos just to get stem cells is that many people believe that embryos are human beings, and to them, the thought of doing that is absolutely appalling and disgusting. It's the same reason most states don't have gay marriage. You can't impose your moral views on the majority. The voters have to decide.

As for Hell being an invention to keep the peasants in line, that's utter bullcrap. If Hell was invented, it was invented by poor prophets who went against the government. Revelation was written by a man in exile, and most prophets were executed by the government.

Hobbit said:
The humanity of embryos and the existance of Hell have no factual evidence supporting either side of either argument. They are matters of faith. Assuming that your side is factual in such an argument is arrogant. My political reason for not wanting to create embryos just to get stem cells is that many people believe that embryos are human beings, and to them, the thought of doing that is absolutely appalling and disgusting. It's the same reason most states don't have gay marriage. You can't impose your moral views on the majority. The voters have to decide.

As for Hell being an invention to keep the peasants in line, that's utter bullcrap. If Hell was invented, it was invented by poor prophets who went against the government. Revelation was written by a man in exile, and most prophets were executed by the government.

There is never a point where ebryos aren't human. They have the same indicators that we consider to be signs of life in extrauterine individuals. Does science recognize life? of course it does. Assessing the existence of life has nothing to do with religion. Embryos are alive. It's a fact.

Hobbit said:

The peasant bit *was* tongue in cheek.

A

Forum List

Back