Steelers / Eagles

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Steelers win first pre-season game 38-31 over the Eagles. Roethlisberger looked tentative while McNabb already looked in playoff form. Steelers D and special teams gave them a 14 point lead 2 minutes into the game. The first play from scrimmage the Steelers INT'd McNabb and returned for TD. Eagles got ball back, punted, and it was returned 66 yards for a TD. The Eagles finally scored to make it 14-7, but the next kickoff was returned 100 yards by the Steelers.

The Steelers first team as a whole looked better than the Eagles. I must admit I was surprised to see McNabb so accurate in his first outing.

But, the best news of the day, Hines Ward was on the sidelines after ending his holdout yesterday!

nucular said:
Oh c,mon you know things wouldn't have ended that way if Terrel Owens played! ;)

Right - they would have beaten the Eagles by 14, and we would have had to listen/read a dozen TO Self-love, pouting comments.

Nobody loves terrel owens more than terrel owens.

-=d=- said:
Right - they would have beaten the Eagles by 14, and we would have had to listen/read a dozen TO Self-love, pouting comments.

Nobody loves terrel owens more than terrel owens.

If TO doesn't learn how to shut his trap, he'll end up playing Arena League or NFL Europe.

nucular said:
If TO doesn't learn how to shut his trap, he'll end up playing Arena League or NFL Europe.

Not often that an NFL player rates a 'piece in WSJ'. Truth is, I don't know him, just read your thread this morning and then saw this:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110007116
Bad Company
Why is Terrell Owens such a jerk?

BY MAX BOOT
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

NFL fans want to know: Why is Terrell Owens such a jerk? A better question might be: Why are so many talented wide receivers such jerks?

Kathianne said:
Not often that an NFL player rates a 'piece in WSJ'. Truth is, I don't know him, just read your thread this morning and then saw this:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110007116

As a former QB, in the huddle, I'll tell you why; they want the ball. I came to an understanding of that when I a ran a play that had myself, as a receiver, in a double screen. I caught the ball and ran it in for the touchdown. A touchdown reception is one hell of a rush!

The average receiver only has five chances to catch the football per game; therefore, they bitch all the time about not getting the ball.

So let's break this down... T.O. has his finest career performance in the Super Bowl and his QB was sucking wind at the end of the game. I know what was going though T.O.'s mind during those last seconds of the game..."Give me the goddamn ball, so I can win my ring!"

T.O. is right. Ask anyone in america if they would quit their jobs the very second they realize that its a dead end job? I'll bet you they'll say,"Yes, but only if I had a better job lined up!".

He's not going to win a ring in Philly; but can T.O. say Atlanta or Oakland? He might not win there, but at least he'll get paid.

hylandrdet said:
As a former QB, in the huddle, I'll tell you why; they want the ball. I came to an understanding of that when I a ran a play that had myself, as a receiver, in a double screen. I caught the ball and ran it in for the touchdown. A touchdown reception is one hell of a rush!

The average receiver only has five chances to catch the football per game; therefore, they bitch all the time about not getting the ball.

So let's break this down... T.O. has his finest career performance in the Super Bowl and his QB was sucking wind at the end of the game. I know what was going though T.O.'s mind during those last seconds of the game..."Give me the goddamn ball, so I can win my ring!"

T.O. is right. Ask anyone in america if they would quit their jobs the very second they realize that its a dead end job? I'll bet you they'll say,"Yes, but only if I had a better job lined up!".

He's not going to win a ring in Philly; but can T.O. say Atlanta or Oakland? He might not win there, but at least he'll get paid.

If he can't speak English, if he doesn't like his quarterback who is also "black like me", if he can't agree with the coach, and if he doesn't want to play football for the team he is contracted to, why doesn't he crawl into his hole and hide. Nobody wants to hear his shit. Do you enjoy hearing his shit?

nucular said:
If he can't speak English, if he doesn't like his quarterback who is also "black like me", if he can't agree with the coach, and if he doesn't want to play football for the team he is contracted to, why doesn't he crawl into his hole and hide. Nobody wants to hear his shit. Do you enjoy hearing his shit?

2.3 million reasons why. This isn't even close to a race issue; only color on this field is "green", as in money, cash, or as ESPN's Mike and Mike in the morning would say,"kish".

I like listening to his shit, it's funny.

The thing that cracks me up the most about this "spoiled rich millionaire athlete" rhetoric, is the fact that it takes negative heat away from the "spoiled rich" billionaire owners, who stands to make 100x more money off the athlete's image than the athlete himself; then in an act of hypocracy, pertend to act like they can't afford him.

If the Eagles are that mad at T.O., then do something; kick him off the team then refuse to sell his jerseys....?

:laugh: Shiiiiiit!!!

It's a simple concept; he knows he won't win a Super Bowl while in Philly, so you might as well pay him to play with Donavan "McNappy".

hylandrdet said:
2.3 million reasons why. This isn't even close to a race issue; only color on this field is "green", as in money, cash, or as ESPN's Mike and Mike in the morning would say,"kish".

The thing that cracks me up the most about this "spoiled rich millionaire athlete" rhetoric, is the fact that it takes negative heat away from the "spoiled rich" billionaire owners, who stands to make 100x more money off the athlete's image than the athlete himself; then in an act of hypocracy, pertend to act like they can't afford him.

If the Eagles are that mad at T.O., then do something; kick him off the team then refuse to sell his jerseys....?

It's a simple concept; he knows he won't win a Super Bowl while in Philly, so you might as well pay him to play with Donavan "McNappy".

The billionaire owners pay the players. They sign contracts and honor them under the current rules of the CBA. Owens wants more money then thats up to the Eagles to decide if they want to rewrite a 7 year deal in its second year. They decided they dont want to. Owens has no leverage and therefore loses. If owens sits out, hes still under contract. He loses the 3.5 million he's due this year and has to pay back some of the signing bonus he was given last year. On top of that, he's still in the 2nd year of the contract. He'll never play football again if he had sat out. Kind of like Barry Sanders.

insein said:
The billionaire owners pay the players. They sign contracts and honor them under the current rules of the CBA. Owens wants more money then thats up to the Eagles to decide if they want to rewrite a 7 year deal in its second year. They decided they dont want to. Owens has no leverage and therefore loses. If owens sits out, hes still under contract. He loses the 3.5 million he's due this year and has to pay back some of the signing bonus he was given last year. On top of that, he's still in the 2nd year of the contract. He'll never play football again if he had sat out. Kind of like Barry Sanders.

I agree, like Barry Sanders. I met Barry Sanders; last I recall, he's still rich. That's the leverage T.O. has; if he never takes a snap again, he'll still be rich and the Eagles will still be losing.

As a Lions fan, I find this amuzing when you consider that the Eagles are the NFC's only legitimate Super Bowl contender. If this drama continues, the Eagles will lose, thus leaving the NFC championship race wide open for almost every team in the conference.

You can't be a non-eagle NFC fan and not love this!

hylandrdet said:

It's not that they can't afford to pay them. Thay have a salary cap in football. I'm sure if all the owner had to do was throw another million dollars into this years contract he'd do it in a heartbeat. This isn't baseball.

hylandrdet said:
I agree, like Barry Sanders. I met Barry Sanders; last I recall, he's still rich. That's the leverage T.O. has; if he never takes a snap again, he'll still be rich and the Eagles will still be losing.

As a Lions fan, I find this amuzing when you consider that the Eagles are the NFC's only legitimate Super Bowl contender. If this drama continues, the Eagles will lose, thus leaving the NFC championship race wide open for almost every team in the conference.

You can't be a non-eagle NFC fan and not love this!

You forget something. If all players thought they were rich enough, why would they bitch about their contracts? Owens will play because he needs the spotlight in order to get more money. Whether that means getting the money for his current contract or auditioning to other teams in the NFL that hes worth the headaches, thats his perogative. The point is he's playing.

Apparently he figured that out. Neither him nor his agent, Rosenass, have made a peep in about a week and a half. Thats pretty remarkable for either of those 2. So something must have happened between the Eagles and TO for him to be so quiet.

So im sorry NFC fans. Eagles will be in Detroit come February, which is where they would have been with or without TO.

Forum List

Back