Steele Squirms When Reporter Pointedly Asks Him If Obama's Olympics Trip A ‘Mistake’

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Think Progress » Steele Hits Obama For Olympics Trip, But Squirms When Reporter Pointedly Asks Him If It’s A ‘Mistake’

STEELE: If the priority is the Olympics in seven years, okay, then tell the nation that’s the priority and that’s what we should be focused on because we’ll create jobs then and we won’t worry about it between now and 2016. But if the goal is to create jobs here in America today, then let’s do that.

PAUL WEST, BALTIMORE SUN: Hi, I just wanted to follow-up on that last question: So are you saying that it’s a mistake for him to go to Copenhagen?

STEELE: You know, a mistake is in the eye of the beholder. I just don’t think it’s necessary. I mean, I don’t know the judgment behind the President going. [...]

WEST: Okay, but I’m still not clear. Is it a mistake in your eyes?

STEELE: My eyes don’t — What do you mean, my eyes?

WEST: Well, you said a mistake is in the eyes of the beholder. I’m wondering if you think it’s a mistake?

STEELE: I gave you my answer, Paul

The whole trip will take approximately 18 hours. The New York Times reported:

Moreover, aides noted that it would be a relatively small time investment. Mr. Obama will leave Thursday evening and fly overnight, arriving in Copenhagen just in time to join Chicago’s final presentation Friday morning, when he and the first lady will address the committee. He returns to Washington on Friday afternoon.

So according to Steele, Obama spending 18 hours to promote an event that has the opportunity to increase U.S. prestige, generate $22.5 billion in economic activity, and the equivalent of 315,000 new full-time jobs must mean that he has completely abandoned his entire policy agenda and plans to now spend all his time on this issue.

Former Massachusetts governor and head 2002 Olympic Organizing Committee Mitt Romney endorsed Obama's decision to go to Copenhagen: "I think the people in the IOC want to understand the level of the commitment of the host country. Does the host country really care? Is this going to be a high priority? And nothing says that like having the presence of the leader of that country and, particularly, the case of Barack Obama."

Really? Is Michael Steele really the best the GOP can do at this point? If this is the type of people they want to run their party, why should we trust them on who they want to run this country? :eusa_eh:

Think Progress » Steele Hits Obama For Olympics Trip, But Squirms When Reporter Pointedly Asks Him If It’s A ‘Mistake’

STEELE: If the priority is the Olympics in seven years, okay, then tell the nation that’s the priority and that’s what we should be focused on because we’ll create jobs then and we won’t worry about it between now and 2016. But if the goal is to create jobs here in America today, then let’s do that.

PAUL WEST, BALTIMORE SUN: Hi, I just wanted to follow-up on that last question: So are you saying that it’s a mistake for him to go to Copenhagen?

STEELE: You know, a mistake is in the eye of the beholder. I just don’t think it’s necessary. I mean, I don’t know the judgment behind the President going. [...]

WEST: Well, you said a mistake is in the eyes of the beholder. I’m wondering if you think it’s a mistake?

STEELE: I gave you my answer, Paul

So according to Steele, Obama spending 18 hours to promote an event that has the opportunity to increase U.S. prestige, generate $22.5 billion in economic activity, and the equivalent of 315,000 new full-time jobs must mean that he has completely abandoned his entire policy agenda and plans to now spend all his time on this issue.

Former Massachusetts governor and head 2002 Olympic Organizing Committee Mitt Romney endorsed Obama's decision to go to Copenhagen: "I think the people in the IOC want to understand the level of the commitment of the host country. Does the host country really care? Is this going to be a high priority? And nothing says that like having the presence of the leader of that country and, particularly, the case of Barack Obama."

Really? Is Michael Steele really the best the GOP can do at this point? If this is the type of people they want to run their party, why should we trust them on who they want to run this country? :eusa_eh:

Nice dodge, Mr. Steele. You have taught many of your supporters on this board well!
What a dick...

Nice dodge, Mr. Steele. You have taught many of your supporters on this board well!
What a dick...

He answered the question. Sheesh you people are fucking stupid.

What a dick...

STEELE: I gave you my answer, Paul.

He did? WHAT was his answer, genius?

This article say the Olympics would generate revenue. Maybe you should talk to the folks in Montreal about that, it's taken them more than 30 years to pay off its extravaganza. Athens budgeted $1.6 billion for the 2004 Games but wound up spending $16 billion. Four years later, Beijing budgeted the same amount, $1.6 billion, for the 2008 Summer Games yet spent an enormous $40 billion. London originally planned to spend $8 billion for the 2012 Games; the current estimate is $19 billion and rising.

This article say the Olympics would generate revenue. Maybe you should talk to the folks in Montreal about that, it's taken them more than 30 years to pay off its extravaganza. Athens budgeted $1.6 billion for the 2004 Games but wound up spending $16 billion. Four years later, Beijing budgeted the same amount, $1.6 billion, for the 2008 Summer Games yet spent an enormous $40 billion. London originally planned to spend $8 billion for the 2012 Games; the current estimate is $19 billion and rising.
Stop being so racist (joking). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

While I appreciate the history lesson, WHAT was Steele's answer again?

What a dick...

Genius? I'm surprised you recognized that fact.

Steele said "I think that this trip, while nice, is not necessary for the President.". Now when asked if it (Obama's trip) was a mistake, he again said "I just don’t think it’s necessary. I mean, I don’t know the judgment behind the President going."

Now let me explain this to you, since you obviously aren't gifted enough to understand the written language. And I'll try to type slow as not to confuse you. Steele doesn't necessarily think it was a mistake it just wasn't a necessity given all that's currrently going on. Whether it was a mistake or not is up to personal opinion.

Steele said "I think that this trip, while nice, is not necessary for the President.". Now when asked if it (Obama's trip) was a mistake, he again said "I just don’t think it’s necessary. I mean, I don’t know the judgment behind the President going."

Now let me explain this to you, since you obviously aren't gifted enough to understand the written language. And I'll try to type slow as not to confuse you. Steele doesn't necessarily think it was a mistake it just wasn't a necessity given all that's currrently going on. Whether it was a mistake or not is up to personal opinion.

While I may not be as gifted as you (special needs children are sometimes referred to as "gifted" in this PC world of ours), please show me the QUOTE where Steele stated that he doesn't necessarily think it was a mistake.....genius.

Last edited:
I thought he said that the trip wasn't necessary? That's what i read today. I actually agree with Mr. Steele. We have so many problems facing our nation and i would rather see our President focus on them rather then flying all over the world begging for the Olympics. Maybe he could just stay home and speak to his Generals for a change. Speaking to the General in charge of Afghanistan only once? Yikes! So kudos to Mr. Steele for being honest.

I thought he said that the trip wasn't necessary? That's what i read today. I actually agree with Mr. Steele. We have so many problems facing our nation and i would rather see our President focus on them rather then flying all over the world begging for the Olympics. Maybe he could just stay home and speak to his Generals for a change. Speaking to the General in charge of Afghanistan only once? Yikes! So kudos to Mr. Steele for being honest.

Yeah, because that could NEVER happen unless he was in the Oval Office? Ever heard of a thing called a cellular phone? How about a satellite phone? Great technology. You should check it out sometime and come on into the 20th Century.

What country does Steele want the olympics to be in then? Not here it seems. What a great American.

While I may not be as gifted as you (special needs children are sometimes referred to as "gifted" in this PC world of ours), please show me the QUOTE where Steele stated that he doesn't necessarily think it was a mistake.....genius.

Damn you are stupid. And I thought you were just kidding around.

When asked if it was a mistake Steele said "I just don't think it's necessary", he didn't call it a mistake, did he? Nooooo , so he obviously doesn't believe it was a mistake per se, he simply stated he didn't think it was necessary. He said, and I'm paraphrasing here, mistakes are in the eye of the beholder, meaning it's up to the individual to make that call for themselves. Trust me, if Steele thought it was a mistake he would have said so.

Bottom line is, it wasn't a mistake but it was unnecessary. Is there no one else in Obama's cabinet that could have gone and represented the US? We have Afghanistan desperately needing more trroops, Iran building nukes, the healthcare debacle, unemployment reaching 10 percent and a whole host of issues that needs the presidents attention that are far more important to the American people than the Olympic games. But I don't expect you to understand that.

When asked if it was a mistake Steele said "I just don't think it's necessary", he didn't call it a mistake, did he? Nooooo , so he obviously doesn't believe it was a mistake per se, he simply stated he didn't think it was necessary. He said, and I'm paraphrasing here, mistakes are in the eye of the beholder, meaning it's up to the individual to make that call for themselves. Trust me, if Steele thought it was a mistake he would have said so.

Bottom line is, it wasn't a mistake but it was unnecessary. Is there no one else in Obama's cabinet that could have gone and represented the US? We have Afghanistan desperately needing more trroops, Iran building nukes, the healthcare debacle, unemployment reaching 10 percent and a whole host of issues that needs the presidents attention that are far more important to the American people than the Olympic games. But I don't expect you to understand that.

Rather than digging an even deeper hole by trying to dodge around the question. Why can't you just admit you were wrong when you stated that Steele answered the question. Everyone who read the post knows this but you??

Yeah, because that could NEVER happen unless he was in the Oval Office? Ever heard of a thing called a cellular phone? How about a satellite phone? Great technology. You should check it out sometime and come on into the 20th Century.

By the same token Obama could have simply called Copenhagen, instead of spending the taxpayers money to fly there. Fact is Obama hasn't spoke to McChrystal but once in over two months, not even by phone.

What country does Steele want the olympics to be in then? Not here it seems. What a great American.

Prove that Steele doesn't want the Olypics here.

Or are you just making shit up again?

By the same token Obama could have simply called Copenhagen, instead of spending the taxpayers money to fly there. Fact is Obama hasn't spoke to McChrystal but once in over two months, not even by phone.

You struggle with how the chain of command works, don't you?

Forum List

Back