Steele: I'm trying to move an elephant mired in its own muck

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Remember back in September when the Republicans were rooting for a DNC civil war between Obama and Clinton and some even hinted that Hillary might not cede to Obama during the convention?

This is the revenge of the Democrats. It's time for them to root for a Republican civil war.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/us/politics/08steele.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

“I’m trying to move an elephant that’s become mired in its own muck,” Mr. Steele said in an interview last week in his sunlit Capitol Hill office, pausing whenever he appeared on the giant television close by his desk.

I'm not sure what anyone would attempt to heal that party. It's best to let it die.

Let the religious right keep the Republican party, and let the fiscal conservatives all move to the Libertarian party.

Or, better yet, why can't the moderates create the third party that combines free liberties and fiscal responsibility?

I'm not sure what anyone would attempt to heal that party. It's best to let it die.

Let the religious right keep the Republican party, and let the fiscal conservatives all move to the Libertarian party.

Or, better yet, why can't the moderates create the third party that combines free liberties and fiscal responsibility?
there already is a party like that
its called the Libertarian party

Remember back in September when the Republicans were rooting for a DNC civil war between Obama and Clinton and some even hinted that Hillary might not cede to Obama during the convention?

This is the revenge of the Democrats. It's time for them to root for a Republican civil war.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/us/politics/08steele.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

“I’m trying to move an elephant that’s become mired in its own muck,” Mr. Steele said in an interview last week in his sunlit Capitol Hill office, pausing whenever he appeared on the giant television close by his desk.
why would there be a "civil war" he's right

"Muck" is a much nicer word than many of US would use. Don't have photo bucket here so I can't post the picture of the real stuff.

Librarians are too down on all government for me.

"Muck" is a much nicer word than many of US would use. Don't have photo bucket here so I can't post the picture of the real stuff.

Librarians are too down on all government for me.

Yes, I agree. The last time I turned my book in late at my local library, the woman there shouted death to America slogans at me. It was really scary... :eek:

You know why the Libertarians are having trouble attracting Republicans?

Your party is too intellectual.

You guys don't offer sound byte explanations for extremely complex problems.

That and so many of you guys are atheists that you scare a lot of the Republican fold.

You are, in many ways, what the Republican Party was like in the early 60s.

Too smart to attract enough voters.

Remember the Republicans were limping along before they became the party of Fundies.

So the Republican Party rather suddenly found the baby Jesus and it gained market share.

All you guys have to do is abandon much of what makes you guys Libertarians (brains) and you too can get that segement of the population which migrated to the Rs.

That and so many of you guys are atheists that you scare a lot of the Republican fold.

Remember the Republicans were limping along before they became the party of Fundies.

So the Republican Party rather suddenly found the baby Jesus and it gained market share.

All you guys have to do is abandon much of what makes you guys Libertarians (brains) and you too can get that segement of the population which migrated to the Rs.

Absolute HORSESHIT

The Libertarians are not "too intellectual"

The reason stems around the Libertarians and their lack of will to have laws surrounding personal conduct

And whether YOU want it to be that the Republican party is run by the 'religious', does not make it so

The Republican party may be hurt from a lot of the actions taken in the past decade... but it is not something that can be overcome... the Republican party will embrace parts of the Libertarian and Conservative parties/movements... there will be aspects of authoritarian influence on crime and punishment and aspects of the libertarian movement in terms of self reliance and smaller government... the conservative and libertarian parties will always remain fringe movements.. OK, maybe not ALWAYS but at least in the foreseeable future

You joining?

Not quite. I think they have the right idea, but some of their ideas are too radical for most Americans.

The republican party can not win an election without the religious wackos, now they cant win an electeion with them.

The R party is screwed and is refusing to do what would bring them any hope of winning an election.

They very well may be done.

A lot of the people who call themselves libertarian are actually people who simply hate government. It's why they fail and shouldn't be running government.

Bingo. There's radical, and there's too radical. It's hard to attract voters when you have absolutely no connection with their ideals. That's something the Republicans are learning now.

Absolute HORSESHIT

The Libertarians are not "too intellectual"

The reason stems around the Libertarians and their lack of will to have laws surrounding personal conduct

And whether YOU want it to be that the Republican party is run by the 'religious', does not make it so

The Republican party may be hurt from a lot of the actions taken in the past decade... but it is not something that can be overcome... the Republican party will embrace parts of the Libertarian and Conservative parties/movements... there will be aspects of authoritarian influence on crime and punishment and aspects of the libertarian movement in terms of self reliance and smaller government... the conservative and libertarian parties will always remain fringe movements.. OK, maybe not ALWAYS but at least in the foreseeable future

Why should there be laws regulating personal conduct if it doesn't affect anybody else?

A lot of the people who call themselves libertarian are actually people who simply hate government. It's why they fail and shouldn't be running government.

Bingo. There's radical, and there's too radical. It's hard to attract voters when you have absolutely no connection with their ideals. That's something the Republicans are learning now.

They need to cut their extremists loose.

Then running government should be left to those that revere government and believe it can do no wrong?

No. It should be left to people who respect government.... same as no one should run a sports team who hates sports or a library if they hate books.

It's really not that difficult.

Then running government should be left to those that revere government and believe it can do no wrong?

No. It should be left to people who respect government.... same as no one should run a sports team who hates sports or a library if they hate books.

It's really not that difficult.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by "respect government."

They need to cut their extremists loose.

So should all parties.

Forum List

Back