Stay the course or not stay the course ?

Canavar has a warped perspective on world events because he he allows his extreme nationalism to cloud any good judgement he might have.

And to be fair, the only thing with fewer 'rules' than English, is American politics. ;) Definately not easy for a 'non-native.'

(...)BTW, he is a republican.

I know and he is a wise man understanding the world, i watched his speeches in Munich security conference.
You said before, that maybe he recognizes Turkey as a major power.
We are not, in American standards. But are in terms to our neighbours.
- Miliatrily
- Industrialy
- Allthough i have no right to classify other societies, we are mile-wide ahead in society of our neighbours, too.

I do not want a my is bigger then yours debate.
But Iran haveing 3 Frigates, Turkey haveing 20 and building 6 further in TF-2000 programme should give you a hint about Turkish role in the region.
http://www.dzkk.tsk.mil.tr/English/Platformlar.asp

To industry i wrote enough in the "science in muslim world"-Thread, if you remember.

I know and he is a wise man understanding the world, i watched his speeches in Munich security conference.
You said before, that maybe he recognizes Turkey as a major power.
We are not, in American standards. But are in terms to our neighbours.
- Miliatrily
- Industrialy
- Allthough i have no right to classify other societies, we are mile-wide ahead in society of our neighbours, too.

I do not want a my is bigger then yours debate.
But Iran haveing 3 Frigates, Turkey haveing 20 and building 6 further in TF-2000 programme should give you a hint about Turkish role in the region.
To industry i wrote enough in the "science in muslim world"-Thread, if you remember.

Yes, I remember. I'm unsure why, but I do read all your posts.

Back to canavar's original question about staying the course in Iraq. The US Secretary of Defense reports to the President. And it is the President who sets US foreign policy. So expect no big changes in American foreign policy during Bush's remaining two years in office. Maybe the new Secretary of Defense will argue for more military power to suppress the insurgency in Iraq. I hope he does. At any rate, America will not abandon the 12 million Iraqis that voted in the elections. The US will stay the course no matter who is Secretary of Defense. There might be a different approach, but the goals of suppressing the insurgents and building Iraqi democracy and self-reliance will remain.

Back to canavar's original question about staying the course in Iraq. The US Secretary of Defense reports to the President. And it is the President who sets US foreign policy. So expect no big changes in American foreign policy during Bush's remaining two years in office. Maybe the new Secretary of Defense will argue for more military power to suppress the insurgency in Iraq. I hope he does. At any rate, America will not abandon the 12 million Iraqis that voted in the elections. The US will stay the course no matter who is Secretary of Defense. There might be a different approach, but the goals of suppressing the insurgents and building Iraqi democracy and self-reliance will remain.
Congress must fund it or it's over-no matter what the adminstration wants.

I do not know what the funding vote tallies were in the past but many Demos voted for that funding. Are you suggesting that they will now not do so? Why? Do you really think the new Congress will ditch the 12 million Iraqis that voted in their elections?

There has to be a way around that during a time of hostility. I'm sure our Founding Father's never envisioned such petty crap, but they should have considering the results of Hamilton-Burr.

If Congress doesn't fund it, I hope the next 747 lands THERE.

I do not know what the funding vote tallies were in the past but many Demos voted for that funding. Are you suggesting that they will now not do so? Why? Do you really think the new Congress will ditch the 12 million Iraqis that voted in their elections?

The Dems have a REAL problem. They talked all their crap without a clue. Now, they HAVE TO come up with a viable alternative the American people are going to buy. I don't think abandoning 12 million Iraqis and making every sacrifice made by US troops in vain is going to cut it.

Some of these pantywaist, whining Republicans who didn't vote should've factored THAT into their self-destructive decision.

Not immediately, but that is where their base wants them and they tend to listen on issues like this. That's my take. (See LBJ and Vietnam)

Not immediately, but that is where their base wants them and they tend to listen on issues like this. That's my take. (See LBJ and Vietnam)

Congress didn't actually cut off funding in Vietnam. It refused to fund a request from Ford when the North finally invaded the South since we had promised we'd come back if the North did that.

We as a nation are famous for sucking when libs are in control.

Congress didn't actually cut off funding in Vietnam. It refused to fund a request from Ford when the North finally invaded the South since we had promised we'd come back if the North did that.

We as a nation are famous for sucking when libs are in control.

The writing was on the wall, as it is today. I truly hope I'm wrong, but I see no reason to think so. One could hope they would look at Lieberman and reconsider, but it was really their only platform-out of Iraq. Whether 'cut and run' or 'phased withdrawal', it's still losing.

The writing was on the wall, as it is today. I truly hope I'm wrong, but I see no reason to think so. One could hope they would look at Lieberman and reconsider, but it was really their only platform-out of Iraq. Whether 'cut and run' or 'phased withdrawal', it's still losing.

Honestly, there's no telling. With an absolute nutcase as Speaker of the House, who knows what can happen?

I see it more like this ..... the Dems trade funding for Bush signing their retarded legislation.

While the Dems ran on pretty-much nothing, the election's over. When was the last time a politican actually delivered on a campaign promise?

I honestly believe a loss, by whatever means, will split this nation irrepairably. I can't wait until hunting libs is legal!:firing:

look.....bush selected these people...do you think he picked people he disagreed with?.....give me a break....bush and his boys had 6 years....i didn't work out.....pick a new team and exit gracefully.....come on.... do you think anything through?

I guess we'll see what kind of leader our President really is.

I belive President Bush will try, even harder now, to win support for his WOT.

I'll tell ya though, if our Congress decides to BAIL, there WILL be hell to pay. I'm talking domestic, and foreign.

Coming full circle, back to where we were 30 years ago, will be a BAD thing.

I wouldn't be surprised, as much as it pains me, to see the administration give up on Iraq, to win support for its world wide war on terror.:shocked1:

I guess we'll see what kind of leader our President really is.

I belive President Bush will try, even harder now, to win support for his WOT.

I'll tell ya though, if our Congress decides to BAIL, there WILL be hell to pay. I'm talking domestic, and foreign.

Coming full circle, back to where we were 30 years ago, will be a BAD thing.

I wouldn't be surprised, as much as it pains me, to see the administration give up on Iraq, to win support for its world wide war on terror.:shocked1:

Bush has played ball with a Dem Congress as Governor of Texas. Problem is, when "playing ball," what principles does he compromise .... what does he sell out to get what he wants?

The Dems might be stupid, but they aren't all THAT stupid. They're going to put political survival ahead of ideology. A plan to leave Iraq that does not involve victory will be political suicide. It's just too bad that if that comes to pass, that it's going to cost so much to get rid of them.

Off course this lies in the future and we all will see it. But as i notice McCain ist still in the race and has good chances:
http://www.pollingreport.com/2008.htm

Why don't you like John McCain?

The only thing John McCain will accomplish is to split the Republican party in two. True conservatives are not going to vote for him because he isn't a true conservative. The moderate vote alone will not garner a win.

His divisiveness is currently taking a hit as part of the blame for Republicans losing control of the House.

Forum List

Back