Stay safe, Stay dry, Texas

I thought I heard some news passing by the radio that so far only one death from Harvey in Texas? Is that true?
Three is the last figure I heard, one in a fire and two swept away by currents when they had to abandon their vehicle. There are of course some areas where rescuers have not gotten to as of yet. For the most part, the actual storm hit a fairly low populated area and the folks evacuated well ahead of it. It is the ceaseless rains that are the problem & they are well away from the center of the storm.

I just made an orbit around my area, so far we have had it pretty easy, no major damage, no downed trees or power lines, only flooded roads, including, unfortunately, the main road in & out of my area, (FM 529). My daughter who lives south and west of me is trapped in her house, the neighborhood & the roads leading to it are all impassable due to high water. They are dry & safe.
Looks like the worst of it so far, at least in the Houston area is east of I45 & south of I10 where the storms freight-trained an already vulnerable low area. The city of Dickenson is completely cut off except by boat.

Thanks for the update. I heard it was up to 5 confirmed this morning. That is still far less than I expected, given the numbers of people who always believe they can stay and get by, only to cause many to risk their lives trying to rescue them.
No Problem, Picaro. I understand that fatalities are now up to 6 with 3 of those in the Houston area. I have seen TNG Blackhawks flying over several times today so the Guard is now involved. The Cajun Navy is also here, so things are looking up. Still raining though, been doing so steadily all day.

I thought I heard some news passing by the radio that so far only one death from Harvey in Texas? Is that true?
Three is the last figure I heard, one in a fire and two swept away by currents when they had to abandon their vehicle. There are of course some areas where rescuers have not gotten to as of yet. For the most part, the actual storm hit a fairly low populated area and the folks evacuated well ahead of it. It is the ceaseless rains that are the problem & they are well away from the center of the storm.

I just made an orbit around my area, so far we have had it pretty easy, no major damage, no downed trees or power lines, only flooded roads, including, unfortunately, the main road in & out of my area, (FM 529). My daughter who lives south and west of me is trapped in her house, the neighborhood & the roads leading to it are all impassable due to high water. They are dry & safe.
Looks like the worst of it so far, at least in the Houston area is east of I45 & south of I10 where the storms freight-trained an already vulnerable low area. The city of Dickenson is completely cut off except by boat.
Hello, I hope your daughter will be rescued , Stasha_Sz, I saw on CNN horrible images of people having evacuated their house testifying their seeing snakes everywhere in the house and having water up to their neck and a man with his son looking for his wife and other of his children and his dog.:(
Why the mayor of houston did not ask the peoples to evacuate? He said better staying at home and of going up to the roof that the help would come to evacuated the people. I do not understand why those peoples were not evacuated before the rain come ?

Hi Dalia, thank you for your concern, really appreciate the kind thoughts. My daughter is good, the waters have receded slightly in her area and they were able to get out. In fact, they are out rescuing a friend of theirs even as I type!

Yes, floods do tend to bring out snakes in droves here in the Houston area, flushes them out of their holes so they seek drier ground, like in oh, the living room of nearby houses. Red ants can be bad too, as well as skunks.

Houston had a voluntary evacuation notice in place, leave if you want to. The Mayor did not want to cause a panic and clog up the roadways with a mandatory evacuation. Probably a bit short-sighted in hindsight. Many parts of SE Texas are built on lower ground and all the development has spoiled the drainage and limited the amount of water the ground can absorb. Still, a lot of folks have nowhere else to go and the waters rose a lot faster than anticipated. It was pretty evident that the local authorities did not have sufficient resources in place to handle the demand. Fortunately, Texans being Texans, many volunteers have come forward with their private boats and have filled the shortfall nicely. Churches have opened as refugee centers and task forces have been sent by the Governor. President Trump already has FEMA on the ground.

Despite the images you may have seen on the news, this is NO Katrina event, the death toll will be minimal, civil society will not break down and the damages will ultimately be repaired.
Hello to you ,Stasha_Sz I am happy it is a good thing that your daughter is safe.:)
It is awful that the snakes are at liberty, a horror there is also a risk that alligators free themselves.
29.08.17 Hurricane Harvey could set loose 350 alligators in Texas
The Houston Mayor said on CNN stay at home on August 27 and if the water goes up go on the roof avoid going into your attic as you are going to be stuck make a 911 call and we will come to rescue you but some people have called and no one Have come to help the poor people.:(

During RITA 100 people died on the highway trying to get out. Rather than deal with that again, people were told to stay home.

Never listen to a democrook is all I have to say, but if you're aware you live in a low, flat area you probably should have had the sense to go somewhere else.

Virtue signalling is so cool!!

1bwiel.jpg

You are a jaded SOB.

My friends on the left actually DO care.

When that Flint water crises happened, one of them started a fund, gathered water, and took it to Flint. Then when those tornadoes wiped out families in Appalachia, they drove down there to assist. Some people actually do care.

I am a realist that has no tolerance for the pretend world of the online leftists.

If you or anyone else gives a fuck about the people suffering from the hurricane. get out and do something to help. Or donate some money.

Don't start a fucking thread that says "hang in there". That's just lame!
Wow. Just wow.

Hang in there!!

Hello, I hope your daughter will be rescued , Stasha_Sz, I saw on CNN horrible images of people having evacuated their house testifying their seeing snakes everywhere in the house and having water up to their neck and a man with his son looking for his wife and other of his children and his dog.:(
Why the mayor of houston did not ask the peoples to evacuate? He said better staying at home and of going up to the roof that the help would come to evacuated the people. I do not understand why those peoples were not evacuated before the rain come ?

Hi Dalia, thank you for your concern, really appreciate the kind thoughts. My daughter is good, the waters have receded slightly in her area and they were able to get out. In fact, they are out rescuing a friend of theirs even as I type!

Yes, floods do tend to bring out snakes in droves here in the Houston area, flushes them out of their holes so they seek drier ground, like in oh, the living room of nearby houses. Red ants can be bad too, as well as skunks.

Houston had a voluntary evacuation notice in place, leave if you want to. The Mayor did not want to cause a panic and clog up the roadways with a mandatory evacuation. Probably a bit short-sighted in hindsight. Many parts of SE Texas are built on lower ground and all the development has spoiled the drainage and limited the amount of water the ground can absorb. Still, a lot of folks have nowhere else to go and the waters rose a lot faster than anticipated. It was pretty evident that the local authorities did not have sufficient resources in place to handle the demand. Fortunately, Texans being Texans, many volunteers have come forward with their private boats and have filled the shortfall nicely. Churches have opened as refugee centers and task forces have been sent by the Governor. President Trump already has FEMA on the ground.

Despite the images you may have seen on the news, this is NO Katrina event, the death toll will be minimal, civil society will not break down and the damages will ultimately be repaired.
Hello to you ,Stasha_Sz I am happy it is a good thing that your daughter is safe.:)
It is awful that the snakes are at liberty, a horror there is also a risk that alligators free themselves.
The Houston Mayor said on CNN stay at home on August 27 and if the water goes up go on the roof avoid going into your attic as you are going to be stuck make a 911 call and we will come to rescue you but some people have called and no one Have come to help the poor people.:(

Thank you again for your concern about our well-being, seems we have a lot of folks on this side of the pond that could learn a lesson from you.
Well, Mr. No-Shoulders, (snakes), are always around and part of things we just deal with when necessary here in Texas, though having one in one's house can be a bit disconcerting. Getting them back where they belong is just going to part of the clean-up effort.
Alligators eventually will go back to the bayous once the water recedes, or those that got loose from reservations will have to be recaptured. We have professional alligator wranglers well versed in doing that job here. Just another annoyance to be tended to during clean-up.
As Pete mentioned above, the mandatory evacuation for Rita turned into a deadly fiasco that no one wanted a repeat performance of. If anything, it may have been worse this time around as there are more people here and more road construction, (destruction?), than there was back then. Still, we have had enough recent floods to be able to identify the most vulnerable spots and THOSE places should have been evacuated.
As far as the rescue effort goes, everyone that has said they needed to be rescued either has been or will be soon. I have not seen any of the Katrina-style rooftop helplessness on any of the local broadcasts, so you may be seeing rehashed Katrina footage. (I would not put that past the low-life national media).

The city of Houston has issued a 10PM~5AM curfew, due to looting. Anyway, the sun was out briefly today and the rains have ceased, things are looking up!

Thank you again for your concern about our well-being, seems we have a lot of folks on this side of the pond that could learn a lesson from you.
Well, Mr. No-Shoulders, (snakes), are always around and part of things we just deal with when necessary here in Texas, though having one in one's house can be a bit disconcerting. Getting them back where they belong is just going to part of the clean-up effort.
Alligators eventually will go back to the bayous once the water recedes, or those that got loose from reservations will have to be recaptured. We have professional alligator wranglers well versed in doing that job here. Just another annoyance to be tended to during clean-up.
As Pete mentioned above, the mandatory evacuation for Rita turned into a deadly fiasco that no one wanted a repeat performance of. If anything, it may have been worse this time around as there are more people here and more road construction, (destruction?), than there was back then. Still, we have had enough recent floods to be able to identify the most vulnerable spots and THOSE places should have been evacuated.
As far as the rescue effort goes, everyone that has said they needed to be rescued either has been or will be soon. I have not seen any of the Katrina-style rooftop helplessness on any of the local broadcasts, so you may be seeing rehashed Katrina footage. (I would not put that past the low-life national media).

The city of Houston has issued a 10PM~5AM curfew, due to looting. Anyway, the sun was out briefly today and the rains have ceased, things are looking up!
Thank you Stasha_Sz, humanity should have compassion in times of disaster and even at all times.
Heros Houston police Sgt. Steve Perez drowns in flood while heading to work during Harvey

Houston officer Steve Perez drowns while heading to work

Unfortunately there is a family that has disappeared.

Devastated Family Mourns 6 Relatives Missing in Houston Floods

'I'm Sure They're Gone.' Family Mourns 6 Relatives Missing in Floods

May I ask some questions: Would not it be more reasonable not to rebuild in areas at risk of storm and flood? Could people still get flood insurance ? Does not have another solution for this people ? I ask because I am not American and I would like to understand.

Last edited:

Thank you Stasha_Sz, humanity should have compassion in times of disaster and even at all times.
Heros Houston police Sgt. Steve Perez drowns in flood while heading to work during Harvey

May I ask some questions: Would not it be more reasonable not to rebuild in areas at risk of storm and flood? can all this people still be assured? Does not have another solution for this people I ask because I am not American and I would like to understand.
People were talking about this on the news last night. There is a National Flood Insurance Program that is run by the government, and it is in a lot of debt. One of the problems is that people are rebuilding homes in areas that are flooded regularly. Two or three times in ten years. And they continue to be insured.
The Houston area is growing right now and people need space to live. They probably won't limit where people can build, because the entire Houston area is flat, low lying and prone to flooding. However, if people can't get flood insurance in a flood prone area, they might think twice about living there.
I agree with you, it would make sense not to allow building in areas that flood all the time, but apparently they need the space?

May I ask some questions: Would not it be more reasonable not to rebuild in areas at risk of storm and flood? can all this people still be assured? Does not have another solution for this people I ask because I am not American and I would like to understand.
People were talking about this on the news last night. There is a National Flood Insurance Program that is run by the government, and it is in a lot of debt. One of the problems is that people are rebuilding homes in areas that are flooded regularly. Two or three times in ten years. And they continue to be insured.
The Houston area is growing right now and people need space to live. They probably won't limit where people can build, because the entire Houston area is flat, low lying and prone to flooding. However, if people can't get flood insurance in a flood prone area, they might think twice about living there.
I agree with you, it would make sense not to allow building in areas that flood all the time, but apparently they need the space?
Thank you for your explanations OldLady, especially as the hurricanes seem more and more violent in this section of the united states, I remember it had a hurricane that was heading towards New York but i don't recall wich year, it came close to New York and left and the problem is That they are increasingly in size and that they seem to sometime changed direction as for Harvey.

Well, my sister's okay, praise God. Her neighborhood in Kingwood is elevated, and her house is dry.

She's putting up a couple people now whose apartment was flooded, and she donated pillows and linens to a church. She's amazed at how she was spared, considering all the destruction around her.

Because of this....
upload_2017-8-30_7-58-3.png

upload_2017-8-30_7-58-31.png

Two Texans are being hanged over the river. One has his ropes loose, jumps in the river and escapes. The other Texan seeing this is horrified and says to the executioner, now tie the rope for me properly because I can't swim.

They showed the water level on I-10 I believe in the Houston area and the water had white caps!

A little additional basic info.

For the most part, private insurers do not offer flood insurance (rising ground water)...wind and rain damage they do. FEMA determines flood zones, and alphabetizes the zones by risk, and the premiums are calculated by such. Most Fl coastal waterfront is in the highest risk zone. If you do not live in a FEMA designated flood zone you are not required to purchase flood insurance...but that does not mean you will never flood in the case of a catastrophic event. If your home is in a flood zone, your lien holder requires that you purchase flood insurance. No mortgage?...participation and level of coverage is voluntary.

A few years ago FEMA changed the parameters for payout. If you have multiple claims within a specific time frame, or the cost of repairing your home is greater than 40% of the value of your home (not including land), no matter how much coverage you have paid for FEMA will give you a one time grant of $30,000 (currently in FL) to bring your home up to current elevation code. They are not going to keep paying over and over to repair or rebuild homes that don't meet code.

Some authorities are referring to this as a 500 year flood, it could happen again next week or not for another 1000 years. Do you level the homes of people who have never been flooded out in their lifetime - and may never again? Maybe, if you compensate them for the value (how will that be determined?)...which will also be costly, on many levels.

More than 100 000 homes have been damaged by the record rainfall dumped on Houston by Hurricane Harvey.

Soldiers and police in helicopters and high-water trucks rescued thousands of Texans stranded by floodwater from the hurricane on Thursday, which has killed dozens of people and displaced more than a million others as it drenches the Gulf Coast.

Some 779,000 Texans have been ordered to evacuate their homes and another 980,000 fled voluntarily amid concerns that swollen reservoirs and rivers could bring new flooding, according to Department of Homeland Security acting Secretary Elaine Duke.

Harvey roared ashore late Friday as the most powerful hurricane to hit Texas in a half-century. It has since been downgraded to a tropical depression as it heads inland, leaving devastation across the southeast corner of the state.

At least 38 people were dead or feared dead in six counties including and around Houston, according to local officials.

President Donald Trump will pledge $1 million of his own money to relief efforts for Hurricane Harvey, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said on Thursday.

“I am happy to tell you that (Trump) would like to join in the efforts that a lot of the people that we have seen across this country do and he’s pledging $1 million of personal money to the fund,” Sanders said.

Chemical maker Arkema SA said it expected more fires after two explosions hit its flooded plant in Crosby, 25 miles (40 km) northeast of Houston.

ORANGE COUNTY EVACUATION

In Beaumont, Texas, about 80 miles (129 km) east of Houston, doctors and nurses evacuated some 190 people from a hospital that halted operations after the storm knocked out water service in the city of almost 120,000 people.

Orange County, which borders Beaumont, on Thursday ordered remaining residents to evacuate the area amid a forecast that the Neches River would crest on Friday, threatening homes.

Just east of Rose City, Texas, a line of cars and trucks were pushing through water flowing over the Interstate highway.

US vice-president Mike Pence visited Texas on Thursday, touring the coastal city of Rockport, where Harvey slammed ashore on to the mainland late Friday.

“The American people are with you. We are here today, we will be here tomorrow and we will be here every day until this city and this state and this region rebuild bigger and better than ever before,” Pence said.

POWER STILL OUT

Gasoline futures soared more than 13 percent on Thursday, as almost a quarter of U.S. refining capacity had been knocked offline by the storm, raising fears of fuel shortages.

About 189,000 homes and businesses remained without power.

Moody’s Analytics estimated the economic cost from Harvey for southeastern Texas at $51 billion to $75 billion, ranking it among the costliest storms in American history.

100,000 homes damaged by Hurricane Harvey

Dedicating this one to all the folks that are hanging in there despite the high waters; no power; mandatory evacuations; no potable water; escalating fuel prices and the ever present looters... Stay strong SE TEXAS:

If you guys could send some of that moisture to Denver, we would LOVE you, we are so in the middle of a drought.I would trade you your record rain for our record drought. It's been months since we have even heard a mere echo of a slight chance of a ghost of rain here. It sprinkled once for three minuets a week a ago. Before that, it was May when we had measurable rain.

If you guys could send some of that moisture to Denver, we would LOVE you, we are so in the middle of a drought.I would trade you your record rain for our record drought. It's been months since we have even heard a mere echo of a slight chance of a ghost of rain here. It sprinkled once for three minuets a week a ago. Before that, it was May when we had measurable rain.
Send tankers, I am sure you can have as much as you can carry.
Sorry to hear of your drought, perhaps you all will have a cold winter and at least get some offsetting snowfall.

Forum List

Back