Status of Jerusalem

patrickcaturday

Feb 25, 2012
Rep System: Opted back in for a while.
FROM UN RESOLUTION 194

Resolves that, in view of its association with three world religions, the Jerusalem area, including the present municipality of Jerusalem plus the surrounding villages and towns, the most Eastern of which shall be Abu Dis; the most Southern, Bethlehem; the most Western, Ein Karim (including also the built-up area of Motsa); and the most Northern, Shu'fat, should be accorded special and separate treatment from the rest of Palestine and should be placed under effective United Nations control; Requests the Security Council to take further steps to ensure the demilitarization of Jerusalem at the earliest possible date; Instructs the Conciliation Commission to present to the fourth regular session of the General Assembly detailed proposals for a permanent international regime for the Jerusalem area which will provide for the maximum local autonomy for distinctive groups consistent with the special international status of the Jerusalem area; The Conciliation Commission is authorized to appoint a United Nations representative who shall cooperate with the local authorities with respect to the interim administration of the Jerusalem area;

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Since the governing authority of the Jewish People in Israel agreed to this proposal as part of the partition plan. And the government of Israel agreed to it again in UN Resolution 273 in order to obtain membership to the UN. And finally because in the 1967 war Israel gained control of the above mentioned territory, DON'T YOU THINK THAT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA FOR ISRAEL TO LIVE UP TO ITS WORD AND TURN JERUSALEM INTO AN INTERNATIONAL CITY as is described in the above resolution ?

Last edited:
FROM UN RESOLUTION 194

Resolves that, in view of its association with three world religions, the Jerusalem area, including the present municipality of Jerusalem plus the surrounding villages and towns, the most Eastern of which shall be Abu Dis; the most Southern, Bethlehem; the most Western, Ein Karim (including also the built-up area of Motsa); and the most Northern, Shu'fat, should be accorded special and separate treatment from the rest of Palestine and should be placed under effective United Nations control; Requests the Security Council to take further steps to ensure the demilitarization of Jerusalem at the earliest possible date; Instructs the Conciliation Commission to present to the fourth regular session of the General Assembly detailed proposals for a permanent international regime for the Jerusalem area which will provide for the maximum local autonomy for distinctive groups consistent with the special international status of the Jerusalem area; The Conciliation Commission is authorized to appoint a United Nations representative who shall cooperate with the local authorities with respect to the interim administration of the Jerusalem area;

Since the governing authority of the Jewish People in Israel agreed to this proposal as part of the partition plan. And the government of Israel agreed to it again in UN Resolution 273 in order to obtain membership to the UN. And finally because in the 1967 war Israel gained control of the above mentioned territory, DON'T YOU THINK THAT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA FOR ISRAEL TO LIVE UP TO ITS WORD AND TURN JERUSALEM INTO AN INTERNATIONAL CITY as is described in the above resolution ?
MJB will answer your question, Pbel. You know better than to ask that question.

FROM UN RESOLUTION 194

You know Hossfly I have been treating the people on this board with respect even you ! You on the other hand have taken numerous opportunities to demean and insult me ! This is something that does not bother me that much but to tell you the truth I do not understand it. You insult me by saying that I have been in jail, you say that I should not attempt to converse with my betters LOLOLOLOL and you accuse me of being people that I am not ( Pbel and Magnum ). Are you really that arrogant or do the simple rules of civility not apply to you.

Last edited:

You know Hossfly I have been treating the people on this board with respect even you ! You on the other hand have taken numerous opportunities to demean and insult me ! This is something that does not bother me that much but to tell you the truth I do not understand it. You insult me by saying that I have been in jail, you say that I should not attempt to converse with my betters LOLOLOLOL and you accuse me of being people that I am not ( Pbel and Magnum ). Are you really that arrogant or do the simple rules of civility not apply to you.
Just trying to get your attention Patrick.
Jerusalam was, is, and always will be Israel's Capital.
As for your complaint, try to cultivate a sense of humor.
P.S: I shall name you----St. Patrick. Happy Birthday tomorrow.
P.P.S: You once told me your condition.I respect that.

The founders of the modern state of Israel agreed several times with the UN that Jerusalem should be an international city, indeed they agreed to implement that very thing ! The world should expect that Israel would live up to it's word, RIGHT ?

The founders of the modern state of Israel agreed several times with the UN that Jerusalem should be an international city, indeed they agreed to implement that very thing ! The world should expect that Israel would live up to it's word, RIGHT ?
Well, over the past 64 years people have a right to do what's best for present conditions.

Eh, Patrick, what you suggest for Israel to do here was already done & failed. Any other suggestions you have for Israel to do?

FROM UN RESOLUTION 194

Once again Patrick, that already was tried & failed. Do you think maybe the Palestinians didn't like that idea?

Once again Patrick, that already was tried & failed. Do you think maybe the Palestinians didn't like that idea?

MJB;

Here is Resolution 194 again.

Please take the time to answer these simple questions.

1 ) When was Jerusalem " placed under effective United Nations control. " ?

2 ) When did the Security Council take steps to ensure the demilitarization of Jerusalem ?

3 ) When was a perminant international regime enacted for Jerusalem ?

Unless you can tell me when these things occured then Israel has not lived up to it's obligations as a member of the UN set forth in Resolution 194 and 273.

A condition of Israel's admittance to the UN Israel was to abide by UN resolutions.

Israel has yet to fulfill its obligations.

FROM UN RESOLUTION 194

A silly idea. Israel did agree that Jerusalem should be an international city when it accepted the Partition Resolution, but the Arab states and the Arabs living in what is now Israel and the disputed territories rejected the resolution, thus rejecting the proposal the Jerusalem become an international city, and all six Arab nations voted against 194, thus rejecting the recommendations that the refugees be permitted to return and that Jerusalem become an international city. To this day, the Arab nations, the Palestinian Arabs and their supporters around the world reject the proposal that Jerusalem become an international city, insisting that it should become the capital of a Palestinian Arab state.

However, by guaranteeing equal access to everyone to the holy sites in the city, Israel has preserved the sense of call in 194 for Jerusalem to be an international city, something history has told us did not happen when the Arabs controlled the city and would not happen if the Arabs had control of it now.

FROM UN RESOLUTION 194

A silly idea. Israel did agree that Jerusalem should be an international city when it accepted the Partition Resolution, but the Arab states and the Arabs living in what is now Israel and the disputed territories rejected the resolution, thus rejecting the proposal the Jerusalem become an international city, and all six Arab nations voted against 194, thus rejecting the recommendations that the refugees be permitted to return and that Jerusalem become an international city. To this day, the Arab nations, the Palestinian Arabs and their supporters around the world reject the proposal that Jerusalem become an international city, insisting that it should become the capital of a Palestinian Arab state.

However, by guaranteeing equal access to everyone to the holy sites in the city, Israel has preserved the sense of call in 194 for Jerusalem to be an international city, something history has told us did not happen when the Arabs controlled the city and would not happen if the Arabs had control of it now.

However, by guaranteeing equal access to everyone to the holy sites in the city,...

No it doesn't.

FROM UN RESOLUTION 194

First a compliment. Your writing skills are some of the best I have seen exhibited on the boards. You are precise and not pedantic, I admire that !
Second a criticism. I only wish your critical thinking and logic skills matched your writing ability.
Both of these are opinions so do what you will with them.

Be careful what you wish for !!! If you say that the Arab Countries rejection of UN Resolution 194 negates part of the resolution ( the internationalization of Jerusalem ) then we must infer that it negates the whole resolution. If that is the case that the foundation for the legal legitimacy of Israel given in UN 194 also goes away. It leaves the whole question of Israel's legitimate existence in doubt. Do you really wish to go there ?

I see that you did not address the issues raised by UN 273. While it can be argued that the Arab rejection of UN 194 negated Israel's obligations ( remember what you are doing if you do so ) UN 273 was a simple attempt by Israel to gain admission to the UN. For passage all it required was a simple 2/3 majority vote. Just a simple up or down vote ! In order to move the resolution from the Security Council to the General Assembly where final passage would occur Israel agreed to abide by UN 194 which included the provision for internationalization of Jerusalem

Don't you think that it is time that Israel lived up to it's word, or is that something Israel is immune from !!!

As for equal access to the holy sites are you aware that if you are Muslim Male under the age of 50 you are not allowed to visit the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem

FROM UN RESOLUTION 194

As Tinmore likes to mention every chance he gets , the Palestinians never agreed to the partition plan.
So it was never implemented. If the Palestinians were to agree they would now have a state in the 67 borders and Jerusalem as an international city.
They choose not to agree to the terms of the partition and tried to drive out the Jews by force instead of diplomacy, this did not turn out well for them and they were left with nothing.

Last edited:

First a compliment. Your writing skills are some of the best I have seen exhibited on the boards. You are precise and not pedantic, I admire that !
Second a criticism. I only wish your critical thinking and logic skills matched your writing ability.
Both of these are opinions so do what you will with them.

Be careful what you wish for !!! If you say that the Arab Countries rejection of UN Resolution 194 negates part of the resolution ( the internationalization of Jerusalem ) then we must infer that it negates the whole resolution. If that is the case that the foundation for the legal legitimacy of Israel given in UN 194 also goes away. It leaves the whole question of Israel's legitimate existence in doubt. Do you really wish to go there ?

I see that you did not address the issues raised by UN 273. While it can be argued that the Arab rejection of UN 194 negated Israel's obligations ( remember what you are doing if you do so ) UN 273 was a simple attempt by Israel to gain admission to the UN. For passage all it required was a simple 2/3 majority vote. Just a simple up or down vote ! In order to move the resolution from the Security Council to the General Assembly where final passage would occur Israel agreed to abide by UN 194 which included the provision for internationalization of Jerusalem

Don't you think that it is time that Israel lived up to it's word, or is that something Israel is immune from !!!

As for equal access to the holy sites are you aware that if you are Muslim Male under the age of 50 you are not allowed to visit the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem

You misunderstand. The Arab opposition to the Partition resolution or 194 did not negate the resolutions, but it indicates that the Arabs had no intention of allowing Jerusalem becoming an international city in the past, and the fact that they demand it be the capital of an Arab state in the disputed territories indicates they have no interest in it becoming an international city now. Perhaps if the Arabs were willing to relinquish their claim on Jerusalem, it would be time to ask Israel if it was willing to turn its capital into an international city.

Muslim residents of Israel and Palestinians living in East Jerusalem are normally allowed to enter and pray at the al-Aqsa Mosque without restrictions.[70] Israel occasionally prevents certain groups of Muslims from reaching al-Aqsa; the restrictions vary from time to time. At times restrictions have prevented all men under 50 and women under 45 from entering, but married men over 45 are allowed. Sometimes the restrictions are enforced on the occasion of Friday prayers,[71] other times they are over an extended period of time.[71][72][73] Restrictions are most severe for Gazans, followed by restrictions on those from West Bank. Israel states that the restrictions are in place for security reasons.[70]

Al-Aqsa Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The restrictions, when they are enforced, are in response to Arabs hurling rocks at Jews praying at the Western Wall in the plaza below. In fact, Israel's actions with regard to the Temple Mount have been extraordinarily sensitive to Muslim sensibilities. After crushing the combined Arab armies in 1967, instead of taking direct control of the Temple Mount:

The Waqf Ministry of Jordan held control of the al-Aqsa Mosque until the 1967 Six-Day War. After Israel's victory in that war, instead of the government taking control of the al-Aqsa Mosque, Israel transferred the control of the mosque and the northern Noble Sanctuary to the Islamic waqf trust [the very group that had denied Israelis access to Jewish religious sites during the Jordanian occupation of the West Bank], who are independent of the Israeli government. However, Israeli Security Forces are permitted to patrol and conduct searches within the perimeter of the mosque.

Al-Aqsa Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dome is maintained by the Ministry of Awqaf in Amman, Jordan.[11]

Until the mid-nineteenth century, non-Muslims were not permitted in the area. Since 1967, non-Muslims have been permitted limited access, however non-Muslims are not permitted to pray on the Temple Mount, or carry any form of religious artifact or anything with Hebrew letters. The Israeli police help enforce this.[12]

Dome of the Rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FROM UN RESOLUTION 194

More silliness. Both 194 and 273 were Gen Ass resolutions. You've been around long enough to know that Gen Ass resolutions are non-binding and constitute little more than suggestions. The fact that the UN admitted Israel was not contingent on Israel taking any specific actions vis-a-vis 194 or 273. Since I know you know these FACTS it is only possible that you are willfully basing your argument on nothing but hot air.
BTW, while UN membership certainly added legitimacy to Israel's independence, it in no way is the underlying support for it ... international acceptance is what it takes and is what keeps those "Palestinians" from accomplishing the same.

Forum List

Back