Statue attack fuels fears of an Islamist Egypt

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
Just when you thought destroying antiquities went out with the Taliban

A religiously motivated attack on statues at a museum in Cairo has sparked outcry in Egypt and fuelled fears that the country is veering towards an Islamic state.

The attack on three artworks, by a black-clad and veiled woman screaming, "Infidels, infidels!" followed a fatwa issued by the Grand Mufti of Cairo, Ali Gomaa, which banned all decorative statues of living beings.

It led to furious criticism of the mufti from Egyptian liberals. In a televised debate with the mufti after the attack, one poet raged that "the prevalent religious discourse in the country encourages terror.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...ypt18.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/06/18/ixnews.html

dmp said:
Are Muslims the Nazis of the 21st Century?
This news hits close to home, since I'm a big Egyptophile....

As if we need reminding of what we're up against!

Terrorists have also attacked tourists in Egypt. One incident happened earlier this year at a resort on the Red Sea. Another incident happened a few years ago at one of the monuments (Dier El Bahari) near the Valley of the Kings (where King Tut is still buried). I believe people were killed in both incidents. I am certain that the attack at Dier El Bahari killed at least one American.

Forum List

Back