Statins are a fraud

I use red yeast rice too. I also take Niacin (B3). It seems to have helped reduce my cholesterol considerably, while providing other significant health benefits and all naturally with no side effects…as long as you can tolerate the flush.

I read that red yeast rice is no longer recommended for whatever reason. The supplement I ordered has plant stenols or some such and something else that starts with a B...hey that narrows it down right? I'll look it up later...

I just posted on this--my overall cholesterol is a bit high, LDL is a touch high, good HDL is quite high. Dr. brought it up but we agreed to watch it. I DO NOT want to go on any RX drugs for this as I agree it's a racket. Gonna try some natural supplements. And maybe cut out some cheese, which I eat every day. :)
Funny aside about cheese.

My brother and I and another guy were talking about the foods we like. The subject of cheese came up, which my brother and I have always enjoyed. The other fellow stated that he didn't like cheese and never ate it, to which my brother shook his head sympathetically and replied, "You poor guy."

Funny aside about cheese.

My brother and I and another guy were talking about the foods we like. The subject of cheese came up, which my brother and I have always enjoyed. The other fellow stated that he didn't like cheese and never ate it, to which my brother shook his head sympathetically and replied, "You poor guy."

Agreed! I have rarely met a kind I don't like. And I don't intend to eat it daily--I just do by default I guess. Heh

Agreed! I have rarely met a kind I don't like. And I don't intend to eat it daily--I just do by default I guess. Heh
My all-time favorite is a mild brick, the kind that has little holes in it, great with crackers and beer, but I can't find it anymore. :(

I love all kinds of cheese. Always have. Cheese, good bread, olive oil with salt and pepper can’t be beat. Black Olives are a great bonus.

This is a great cheese.
gruyere+3.jpg

Cholesterol was a made up problem. It never was harmful.

It depends on what type of cholesterol your body produces. There are two types, one is nice and puffball shaped, and you could have a cholesterol reading of 5000 with that type of cholesterol and never have a problem.

On the other hand, if your body produces the other kind, little sticky BB's that clot together, and block arteries, if your body produces that type, then a cholesterol level of 150 is lethal.

People who die of "widow maker" type heart attacks create that lethal type of cholesterol. For that population statins are a benefit.

A other interesting fact is your liver can only process 700 calories at a time. If you eat more than that, all of the excess converts to fat. So multiple small meals are the optimum for a healthy non drug dependent lifestyle.

The problem with these broad statements that you make is they ignore the fact that many people actually benefit from these drugs.

old news------I IS THE MEDICAL ESTABLISHMENT-----and took hubby off
statins-----three years ago. IMHO---the aspirin thing is still a thing under
investigation
It is believed to only be of help if you have had a heart attack or stroke and then it is worth taking.

All I know is my cholesterol was 260 one year ago. I was prescribed atorvastatin (Lipitor) and literally 3 months later my cholesterol is 153.

I stopped taking it, my cholesterol went up to 199.

I just had it checked 2 weeks ago and I am under 150.

Nothing drastic changed in my diet. Some changes, but not that significant.

Seems to work for me.
Yes, I think diet is massively important. I had lost a lot of weight when going through chemo last year and was just trying to put a little on when I became aware I may have heart problems. I said no to statins and stopped all the eating of full fat milk and so on that I had been told would put on the weight but be easy to come off. Now I am 6 stone, two thirds of the weight I was a year ago and have discovered I have severe heart failure. So....I am thinking maybe I will go on the statins for a little while so that I can eat all the wrong things and put on some weight. Then when I have got to say eight and a half stone come off and go back on a vegan type diet.

Yes, I think diet is massively important. I had lost a lot of weight when going through chemo last year and was just trying to put a little on when I became aware I may have heart problems. I said no to statins and stopped all the eating of full fat milk and so on that I had been told would put on the weight but be easy to come off. Now I am 6 stone, two thirds of the weight I was a year ago and have discovered I have severe heart failure. So....I am thinking maybe I will go on the statins for a little while so that I can eat all the wrong things and put on some weight. Then when I have got to say eight and a half stone come off and go back on a vegan type diet.
Alexa----don't play

Cholesterol was a made up problem. It never was harmful.
Yes, they say that but things that are supposed to put it on, are things that a heart healthy diet tends to say no to. As I understand it it is any oils except Olive and other speciality and anything to do with sugar, including fructose which are the main problems. Then other people say Olive oil is just as bad when it has been fried. Now some are saying all oil including olive is as bad if cooked and recommend people give up oil altogether when frying.

Alexa----don't play
What do you mean don't play. I am really new to all this. I am scared about now only being 6 stone and still losing weight. It is all new to me. I see my cardiac nurse for the first time on Monday and apart from the net and you tube know very little about what is wrong with me except I had an echocardiogram and then an angiogram and I know what they found, or sort of. I was offered the opportunity to ask after being told I had severe problems with my heart pumping but I had been expecting angina and possibly shocked and so did not know what to ask....and the angiogram findings are apparently a rare problem. My main problem has been severe breathlessness just on standing or walking a few steps which started in chemo - though I had been having a growing problem of this for a few years before. Then it really took off. It got a little better when I finished chemo and a little better when put on beta blockers four months ago and a bit more when put on ace tablets after the pumping problem was discovered though the breathing still did not allow me to walk further than my garden. Two weeks ago my Ace ones were doubled and my blood pressure went down too much and I am not so good. They wanted to take me into hospital after the echocardiogram but I was having a good day and did not fancy it. I was inspected by the Dr who said I looked quite fit. Two of them had a chat and decided I could go home. The Angiogram appointment arrived 2 days later to be done in one week.

Last edited:
I experienced a general weakness in my muscles that didn't show up in the blood test that shows muscle deterioration due to the statins that some experience. My doctor said that I was 'tolerating' the meds well, which means that if they're not outright killing me I should continue taking them.

I have been on Prevastatin for 11 years. I lost strength in my hands but I take CoQ10 and that has reversed the weakness.

Bypasses last between 8 and 9 years, then, they too clog up, and you have to have bypass surgery again.

Thanks to the statin my bypasses are still relatively clear. I have 68%ish blood flow which is extremely good for 11 years past bypass surgery.

So, yes statins are grossly over prescribed, but for those of us that create the lethal type of cholesterol they are a net positive.

I have been on Prevastatin for 11 years. I lost strength in my hands but I take CoQ10 and that has reversed the weakness.

Bypasses last between 8 and 9 years, then, they too clog up, and you have to have bypass surgery again.

Thanks to the statin my bypasses are still relatively clear. I have 68%ish blood flow which is extremely good for 11 years past bypass surgery.

So, yes statins are grossly over prescribed, but for those of us that create the lethal type of cholesterol they are a net positive.
I'm coming up on 11 years since my bypass surgery this September. I've been off the meds for two years and feeling pretty good.

So irosie91 do you have anything else to say. I take it 'don't play' was some form of insult. That anyway is the only thing I have ever heard from you to me.

It’s a pretty big jump from “statins are over-prescribed for mild hyperlipidemia” to “all statins are fake and high cholesterol doesn’t affect health”.

It depends on what type of cholesterol your body produces. There are two types, one is nice and puffball shaped, and you could have a cholesterol reading of 5000 with that type of cholesterol and never have a problem.

On the other hand, if your body produces the other kind, little sticky BB's that clot together, and block arteries, if your body produces that type, then a cholesterol level of 150 is lethal.

People who die of "widow maker" type heart attacks create that lethal type of cholesterol. For that population statins are a benefit.

A other interesting fact is your liver can only process 700 calories at a time. If you eat more than that, all of the excess converts to fat. So multiple small meals are the optimum for a healthy non drug dependent lifestyle.

The problem with these broad statements that you make is they ignore the fact that many people actually benefit from these drugs.
You can believe that information brought to you by the establishment, but I have no intention of doing so.

I stick to a proper diet with supplements. This way I have no side effects and receive much better results.

You should be using Niacin. It’s proven to be much more effective than statins and entirely safe.

Niacin is the Safest and Most Effective Way to Control Cholesterol​

Niacin is the Safest and Most Effective Way to Control Cholesterol

You do know statins are amazingly INEFFECTIVE right? This has been know for decades.

Considering the media attention given to statins, it's quite remarkable to learn that they only reduce the risk of mortality from CVD by less than 1 percent. In contrast, in clinical trials involving over 8,000 patients over 6 years, high dose niacin (3,000 mg daily) reduced mortality by 11%. And this lowered risk was tabulated 15 years after the clinical trial ended! (Canner et al., 1986)
Ask This Question Before Taking Statins

You can believe that information brought to you by the establishment, but I have no intention of doing so.

I stick to a proper diet with supplements. This way I have no side effects and receive much better results.

You should be using Niacin. It’s proven to be much more effective than statins and entirely safe.

Niacin is the Safest and Most Effective Way to Control Cholesterol​

Niacin is the Safest and Most Effective Way to Control Cholesterol

You do know statins are amazingly INEFFECTIVE right? This has been know for decades.

Considering the media attention given to statins, it's quite remarkable to learn that they only reduce the risk of mortality from CVD by less than 1 percent. In contrast, in clinical trials involving over 8,000 patients over 6 years, high dose niacin (3,000 mg daily) reduced mortality by 11%. And this lowered risk was tabulated 15 years after the clinical trial ended! (Canner et al., 1986)
Ask This Question Before Taking Statins

I can't do niacin because it causes my BP to skyrocket. I have always been active, I was and am a competitive fencer, have never been overweight, and my cholesterol was never over 190.

It didn't matter. I still almost died of a widow maker. My active life pushed it off till my 60's instead of my 40's, but it still happened.

With the statin my cholesterol is 47. In my case I need it to stay low. That is not true of all people.

You take simplistic view, but the reality is far more complex.

I can't do niacin because it causes my BP to skyrocket. I have always been active, I was and am a competitive fencer, have never been overweight, and my cholesterol was never over 190.

It didn't matter. I still almost died of a widow maker. My active life pushed it off till my 60's instead of my 40's, but it still happened.

With the statin my cholesterol is 47. In my case I need it to stay low. That is not true of all people.

You take simplistic view, but the reality is far more complex.
You certainly are a special case in more ways than one.

Forum List

Back