States with ‘abstinence-only’ sex ed programs rank highest in teen pregnancies

Same story, different locale.

Teen Pregnancies Highest In States With Abstinence-Only Policies | ThinkProgress

And who will take the responsibility for the pregnancies? Firstly, the women. That's why we're all talking about your 'non-existent' war on women. And once you get rid of the safety nets, crime will be the result. Well - that and death. The children born won't be as healthy, because women who don't want to be pregnant don't seek prenatal care.

There's a lot of ugly headed America's way if the Religious Wrong gets all their wishes granted.

pregnancy rates are going to be even worse with the war on women.

Jamal H. is a 28 year-old head of household for a family of seven. The family was issued a WtW voucher in June 2000. On August 1, 2000, they were able to rent an apartment in a complex in Ashburn, Virginia, where they are now receiving rental assistance through the WtW voucher program.

Jamal is the exception, not the norm.

You offer no evidence.
Furthermore, what the hell business did he have fathering five children he couldn't afford to take care of?
Kind of irrelevant from a practical point of view considering the children have already been had.
So because he was reckless and irresponsible he got to live for less, get a free car, and get a free education, whereas I've always paid my own way and am now paying back $70k in student loans.

Guess I should have gone on welfare.
If any of your 70k in loans is guaranteed by Uncle Sam you did.

Good post, anyone who's the least bit in touch with the real world knows abstinence-only has no chance in hell of working. I have no idea why people keep pretending it does, it's not like unprotected teenage sex is some new phenomena. If you're younger than most rocks, unprotected teenage sex has been abundant in your generation.

Why don't we compare today's teen pregnancy rate with 50 - 60 - 70 plus years ago, when sex education wasn't even an idea. Why do we have an issue with it today, but not back then? Apparently 'social policies' that we've supposedly 'evolved' into (I'd call it regression) over the last 50 to 60 years aren't very good.

Good post, anyone who's the least bit in touch with the real world knows abstinence-only has no chance in hell of working. I have no idea why people keep pretending it does, it's not like unprotected teenage sex is some new phenomena. If you're younger than most rocks, unprotected teenage sex has been abundant in your generation.

Why don't we compare today's teen pregnancy rate with 50 - 60 - 70 plus years ago, when sex education wasn't even an idea. Why do we have an issue with it today, but not back then? Apparently 'social policies' that we've supposedly 'evolved' into (I'd call it regression) over the last 50 to 60 years aren't very good.

Good idea, let's compare.

Teen pregnancy rates reach 'dramatic' 40-year low in U.S. | Fox News

The better people are educated on the subject, the better things are. Not that gov't education is any good, but it's better than just never talking about the subject.

The better people are educated on the subject, the better things are. Not that gov't education is any good, but it's better than just never talking about the subject.

1972.... we were well on the road to corruption as a society by then. Try the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's... it all started in the 60's, the same period where those in charge today were in their teens (teach your parent's well, because they're all naive morons), and based on where we're at today, I'd say it's not much of a coincidence that we're in the shape we are with those people in positions of power today.

1972.... we were well on the road to corruption as a society by then. Try the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's... it all started in the 60's, the same period where those in charge today were in their teens (teach your parent's well, because they're all naive morons), and based on where we're at today, I'd say it's not much of a coincidence that we're in the shape we are with those people in positions of power today.

I couldn't find anything that went back that far, but that still covers ppl from age 13 to age 59, pretty good measuring stick. And if that generation is where everything turned south in your view, wouldn't the parents be to blame in your opinion?

I think what you view as 'corruption' the rest of us view as evolution.

pregnancy rates are going to be even worse with the war on women.

There is no war on women. The war is over. We won.

In a first, women surpass men in college degrees - CBS News

Young, single, childless women out-earn male counterparts - USATODAY.com

Spinning it any other way just makes us look like perpetual victims, and we aren't.

Women are outpacing men both professionally and educationally. If there is any combat still occurring, it is on the battlefield of the war on boys. (and I'm saying this as the mother of a teenage son).

A study has shown that while the U.S. is currently enjoying a steady decline in the number of teen pregnancies, states with sex ed and health classes that stress “abstinence-only” education rank the highest in the numbers of underage pregnancies, according to a post at Think Progress.

The current rate of teen pregnancies, about 35 per 1,000 girls between the ages of 15 and 19, is the lowest on record since the CDC began to track these statistics in 1940. The CDC attributes the improvement to pregnancy prevention efforts and education.

However, 37 states currently mandate that all sex education include information on abstinence, 26 of whom insist that abstinence be taught as the main method of pregnancy prevention. Studies have indicated that abstinence-only programs may end up deterring contraceptive use among teens who do have sex, whereas teenagers who have been taught a comprehensive sex ed curriculum are “60 percent less likely” to become pregnant or get someone else pregnant.

Additionally, a 2007 federal study indicated that abstinence-only education ultimately had “no impacts ” at all on rates of sexual abstinence.

The two states with the highest rates of teen pregnancies are Mississippi and New Mexico. Neither state requires that sex ed be taught in schools. Mississippi law stipulates that when sexual education is taught, that abstinence be the main method of contraception proscribed by educators, whereas New Mexico has no rules about reproductive health criteria at all.

The state with the lowest rate of teen pregnancies is New Hampshire, which requires comprehensive sex ed in schools that includes information about condoms and other forms of birth control in addition to abstinence.

States with ‘abstinence-only’ sex ed programs rank highest in teen pregnancies | The Raw Story

Religion fail.

Why would this be a religion fail?

This is a parental fail.

Why don't we compare today's teen pregnancy rate with 50 - 60 - 70 plus years ago, when sex education wasn't even an idea.

Because it introduces too many variables not relevant to the discussion and muddies the waters (which is of course why you want to do it).

Also liberty. Also equality. Also sanity. Also rationality.

All of which, in Christian-right language, are synonyms for corruption.

Only your type would see kids having sex, and kids having babies as 'progress'. :cuckoo:

Bring back the days when the new mother iin law of the bride hung the wedding night sheets out the window.

Why don't we compare today's teen pregnancy rate with 50 - 60 - 70 plus years ago, when sex education wasn't even an idea.

Because it introduces too many variables not relevant to the discussion and muddies the waters (which is of course why you want to do it).

:lol: Okay... thanks for the laugh anyway...

Forum List

Back